2007 starting problems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesparado

Reaction score
I have a 2007 FJR 1300A and today I had a problem with her not wanting to start. It recently went in to have the recall done on the ECU. The bike was sitting in the garage for about a week (1/4 tank) I drove it last night 90 mile round trip to work without any issues. This AM I go have lunch approx 10 miles away from my house and after eating I go to start her and it wouldn't start and just die. I tried starting about 3 times before she finally turned over. I let it warm up and drove it to the nearest gas station thinking it was maybe a fuel issue. It has been raining here on the California coast lately so I am thinking maybe it was condensation. On the ride home last night it was also raining. The bike has 800 miles on it and this is the first mechanical issue I have had with it besides the recall items.

Matt

It's been known to happen. Generally holding it wide open throttle whilst cranking it over will get her started again. Unlike your neighbor with the Chevette with no muffler, once it starts you can let it drop to idle immediately. ;)

It's been known to happen. Generally holding it wide open throttle whilst cranking it over will get her started again. Unlike your neighbor with the Chevette with no muffler, once it starts you can let it drop to idle immediately. ;)
Will do thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will stop doing this so I won't have to do that. My neighbor has the Pontiac Trans-Am flaming chicken and jet boat :rolleyes:

I have a similar problem. After storing the 07A for about 2 months I decided to start it and the engine just sneezed once and that’s it. It cranks all right, lots of battery power but it does not fire up. Did anybody have similar problem?

I have a similar problem. After storing the 07A for about 2 months I decided to start it and the engine just sneezed once and that’s it. It cranks all right, lots of battery power but it does not fire up. Did anybody have similar problem?
Yup a couple years ago. Dropped in new plugs, still wouldn't start. Put battery on a charger, still wouldn't start. Finally put a new battery in it and it has been okay since. IMO, the FJR gets lonely if left to sit, and retaliates by throwing a temper tantrum. Keep fiddling with it and sooner or later it will go.

OK, I am thinking that unless the "steed" gets wound up to 6 or 7,000 rpm's once in awhile :dribble: It gets constipated!

So? Why not wind it up?

The red line is over 10 g's?

Let's get it on, OR - Let's move IT down the road!

The bike will be "healthier" with the attempt!

trust me (?) YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem with it not wanting to start twice. Turned out I had not turned the key all the way so it was just turning over but would not start. I turned the key a little more and it fired right up.

I have a 2007 FJR 1300A and today I had a problem with her not wanting to start. It recently went in to have the recall done on the ECU. The bike was sitting in the garage for about a week (1/4 tank) I drove it last night 90 mile round trip to work without any issues. This AM I go have lunch approx 10 miles away from my house and after eating I go to start her and it wouldn't start and just die. I tried starting about 3 times before she finally turned over. I let it warm up and drove it to the nearest gas station thinking it was maybe a fuel issue. It has been raining here on the California coast lately so I am thinking maybe it was condensation. On the ride home last night it was also raining. The bike has 800 miles on it and this is the first mechanical issue I have had with it besides the recall items.Matt
[SIZE=14pt]You have a 2007 with only 800 miles???!!![/SIZE]

Do you neglect your wife like this? Can't you recognize that the bike's pissed off at you?

This is intentionally in BIG font so you get the idea!!!

:rolleyes:

Thanks you guys for replyes. I did put the battery on charger but I can not even try to start it, it’s too cold.

Here is what I learned so far: It is a known problem that the bike would not start for an unknown reason.

This should not be so. Every IC engine should start at a turn of the key if the battery is OK. The problem is ether ignition or fuel delivery (there is no manual shut off fuel valve). I will keep let everybody know when I’ll fined out.

This should not be so. Every IC engine should start at a turn of the key if the battery is OK. The problem is ether ignition or fuel delivery (there is no manual shut off fuel valve). I will keep let everybody know when I’ll fined out.
Max, there are a few things that should be discussed.

When it was last started, did you let it run completely through the warm-up cycle? There are numerous reports from those (including THIS big-dumb-jerk) who have started their bike and then shut it off.

For some reason, the ECU holds the memory and leaves the fuel system in "cold running" mode...IOW, the bike is flooded.

Once the battery is fully charged, try starting it by holding the throttle Wide Freaking Open. Then turn on the key and start the bike as if it were a carbureted engine that ws flooded.

Many have done this and the bike starts, stumbles, then cleans itself and after that....everything is right with your FJR world.

I hope it's something this simple.

It started. So I waited till it became warmer, charged the battery and with cranked up throttle and prayer it started. BUT! Till it warmed up there was a white smoke from the pipes and a faint smell of burned oil from under the faring. So go figure. The bike is as good as new, 2007 with not even 8000km (5000 miles) on it.

Latest posts