2008 FJR1300 - Dear Yamaha, this is what we want.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I think should be in the base price:

1) 6 - speed tranny. I'd like lower revs on the interstate for me personally. The '06 gearing is not bad, just not optimal for me.

2) Heated grips. So simple to add at the factory.

3) Color choices

4) Tire choices

5) BMW-style power points front/rear

Things I would pay extra for as options:

1) Electronic cruise

2) Integrated GPS/XM/Intercom

Two models:

(S)tandard Model

* Color choices. (One of which must be Blue.)

* Improved mirrors with a wider viewing area.

* Wider gear ratios with 5th more like an overdrive. ECM limiter on 5th gear to meet maximum speed requirement.

* Smoother throttle cam at low input with reduced spring tension.

* Serviceable rear suspension that provides for spring changes, has adjustments for both compression and rebound, and allows for service rebuilds.

* Helmet locks.

* Self-canceling turn signals.

* Increased Stator Output.

* Redesigned Instrument Panel for more legible meters (similar to earlier models).

(ST) Standard plus Touring Model

* Cruise Control

* Taller Wind Screen

* (redesigned) Top Bag

* Additional Power Outlets

* Secondary Fuse Block

* HID lighting

Sounds to me that some of you guys are ready for a Goldwing.

Some want to weigh her down more, and others want it lighter.

Maybe Yamaha should just put some nice bags on the FZ1 and go back to

making the '04 model which IMHO is perfect.

go back tomaking the '04 model which IMHO is flawed with gay silver paint.
Fixed it for you. :bleh:

I would like to see the '05 back for '08. This time though, coated in R1 red. Thanks much! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry....I like my '04 stock. It's pretty good stock - what am I saying...it's great stock. best bike I've ever had.

I don't want it heavier or have any pez dispensers or napkin holders or 8track/cassette combo players or... :headbonk: :headbonk:

and 9...8...7...6...

I'm not going back to edit my previous post and say "lighter". Thought that was understood! :)

The split personality of the FJR is what makes it popular. I often describe the bike as "half Gold Wing, half crotch rocket" to people who have no idea about motorcycles.

That's why I say offer two versions, basic with some commonly and widely made improvements, and an "Almost GW" version all loaded down with stuff (Yamaha stuff that is, black gold, Texas Tea...).

:)

Sounds to me that some of you guys are ready for a Goldwing.Some want to weigh her down more, and others want it lighter.

Maybe Yamaha should just put some nice bags on the FZ1 and go back to

making the '04 model which IMHO is perfect.
I'm with you Doc--- sounds like a 'Wing got bred by a Beemer.

B)

Shed some weight. 60 Pounds should do. Get rid of the vent system that delt with the heat issue. WHAT HEAT?? I hear that vent system breaks sometimes. Oh wait I already have one of those its an 05!! Just kinding I love the NEEEEEEXT Generation rides to. If I were to really recommend something to YAMAHAHAHA. It would be to include one of those young ladies working the cycle shows with the purchase of a new FJR. I always considered that miss leading advertising anyway!!

For those of you wanting less weight and more power you might grovel to Cypress to bring the European model FZ1 over that has a larger screen and our own FJR side bags as options including lower cowlings. That will put your sport into touring.

Glenn

I think that the 06 FJR is already the perfect platform to start with right out of the box. The small changes I make are to make the bike just right for me and I would rather make them myself. If Yamaha tried to make all the changes for me I would probably have to go backwards to make it right. :happysmiley:

I'm with TWnut on the R1 red. So much better than the darker red they are giving us.

GP

Eye dunna unnerstan dis "mirror" isshew. Wye kan yu knot enstill dis FZ-1 mirrer onna yew newar FJRs, hmmm? Ize only scene dems mirrers of'n a gnu jenerational bike wun thyme. Seams dems bolts er reely reely close to dem keerrect dimensions. Ist ennywun tries dis? Ist shure be werken grate onna mye '05. Eben witt myes Kalifornicate lane sharin.

Eyes be tinking dat deres sum bedder (wye-der) mirrers sold en Yurp. Ist enywun tryin' dat 'cept TurboDave? I here'd dat he likes'um.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Every year someone starts a thread like this. "IF ONLY" Yamaha would do this or that....THEN we'd be reading all the posts about how "Portly" and "Expensive" the FJR has gotten. Besides, it'd ruin all the fun I have in personalizing and making this platform into my own idea of sport-touring nirvana.

If I were to have one request that could be granted when the next iteration is engineered: Change the upper front fairing/windshield arrangement so that tall riders (like myself) could have a "still pocket" rather than having to experiment with windshields to eliminate the head buffet. And, yes, I know it would change the look of the front of the bike because the fairing would have to get higher and come more toward the rider so that the windshield-to-rider distance would be less. Yamaha has to have a wind tunnel available so they should be able to do some computer designs then try them in the real world. Or leave it alone and let us continue to play..... ;)

Six speed box (current 5 okay, needs a 6 for better highway cruising)

Revised throttle pulley and springs

Cruise Control (it is a tourer)

More colors and a bike with solid color, no silver at all

Headlight adjustment from one control on the left hand side only

Taller windscreen

Radiator Guard

Heated Grips on the "A" model as well

Self canceling indicators

I get a kick out of all the folks that want a six speed. If Yamaha puts in a six speed and the ratio of the 6th gear is the same as the current 5th....everybody will be happy won't they?

Perhaps the request should be....'A six speed with the final gear an overdrive ratio'?

I get a kick out of all the folks that want a six speed. If Yamaha puts in a six speed and the ratio of the 6th gear is the same as the current 5th....everybody will be happy won't they?
Perhaps the request should be....'A six speed with the final gear an overdrive ratio'?
IIRC, 5th is already an overdrive. And for '06 they changed the final drive ratio to decrease RPMs at cruising speed. I had 6 speeds on the Councours and it NEEDED them, even with 1st gear that was so tall I had to feather the clutch when loaded for a trip. Not at all llike the broad power band of the FJR's engine.

6 speed tranny, relatively close ratio 1-4, wider 5 and 6, 6th being a good 20% lower than the 06.

Self cancelling turn signals.

Cruise control.

Heated grips.

An optional larger windscreen.

An optional Radio.

More power/higher redline.

Improved throttle control.

Lighter clutch.

How about something that is universally complained about, I would like paint that doesn't scratch when you look at funny.

Looks like us guys in the UK get heated grips as standard on the A for 2007.

I'd add electric defrosting to the mirrors (no bike manufacturer seems to do this though many up-market cars do) and heated seats - many of us ride all year round in the UK...

Oh, and if Yamaha want to develop the auto-clutch to make it really useful - how about a manual clutch that is used for standing starts and low-speed manouevering where we want most control and clutchless operation above, say, 10mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.