2008 FJR1300 - Dear Yamaha, this is what we want.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruise Control... The one reason I almost went with a BMW versus the FJR. In the end this forum led me to believe I could add one after market. All thing considered, lack of cruise control seems to be in contradiction to "touring" part of the FJR "sport-touring" moniker.
CaryB
+1

Two models:
(S)tandard Model

* Color choices. (One of which must be Blue.)

* Improved mirrors with a wider viewing area.

* Wider gear ratios with 5th more like an overdrive. ECM limiter on 5th gear to meet maximum speed requirement.

* Smoother throttle cam at low input with reduced spring tension.

* Serviceable rear suspension that provides for spring changes, has adjustments for both compression and rebound, and allows for service rebuilds.

* Helmet locks.

* Self-canceling turn signals.

* Increased Stator Output.

* Redesigned Instrument Panel for more legible meters (similar to earlier models).

(ST) Standard plus Touring Model

* Cruise Control

* Taller Wind Screen

* (redesigned) Top Bag

* Additional Power Outlets

* Secondary Fuse Block

* HID lighting
Great List +1

It seems that most of you would like to see the FJR loaded up with so much shit that the average guy can no longer afford to buy one. I got my '03 for $11,500 and though many were getting them back then for much less, that seemed like a hell of a bargain. I guess some of you won't be happy until the FJR sells in the $20,000 range.

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS

It seems that most of you would like to see the FJR loaded up with so much shit that the average guy can no longer afford to buy one. I got my '03 for $11,500 and though many were getting them back then for much less, that seemed like a hell of a bargain. I guess some of you won't be happy until the FJR sells in the $20,000 range.
Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS
Excellent argument! :good: But keep in mind that many of us farkle it up to 20 large anyway - granted, that's our choice, though.

How bout some self cancelling turn signals.Like the ones you put on my 1985 Fj1100.
THe Yamaha XS 1100 had self cancelling indicatorsin 1978, they were great.I like the idea of a manual clutch as well as the auto clucth ,so simple .

One thing it really needs

A load siren ! to warn D..head cage drivers there is some else on the road besides cars.

My 650 Special had self canceling signals, as did my 2002 V* 1100 Silverado... gap of about 20+ years there... but the FJR doesn't... what gives?

I'd also like cruise control, but think I already have most of the other stuff either installed or in boxes waiting for me to get busy...<G>

Mary

Emmm..try this, Yamaha offers the low cost, lower weight (raw) version however actively supports the after-market/farkle manufactures through standardizing of electrical accessory connections plus spends some additional in-house engineering efforts in assisting DIY customers in installation of commonly purchased farkles by disseminating installation best practices. Through additional after-market support, they can create a Yamaha approved farkle list which they will encourage their dealership network to both carry and install, for customers that have money rather than time or inclination to do their own. Riders will then have the opportunity to purchase a more “raw” motorcycle, choose which farkles fill their individual needs and at the same time have Yamaha support domestic (USA) business development and help ensure both the quality of available farkles being put on their machine and the quality of installation. Lastly, Yamaha benefits from taping into the creativity of our aftermarket people (like skyway) and actively supports the brand specific culture for future bike releases.

Just a thought. :)

Regards,

B

No more black cherries if you want to recruit anyone under 40.

Emmm..try this, Yamaha offers the low cost, lower weight (raw) version however actively supports the after-market/farkle manufactures through standardizing of electrical accessory connections plus spends some additional in-house engineering efforts....
...Riders will then have the opportunity to purchase a more “raw” motorcycle, choose which farkles fill their individual needs and at the same time have Yamaha support domestic (USA) business development and help ensure both the quality of available farkles being put on their machine and the quality of installation. Lastly, Yamaha benefits from taping into the creativity of our aftermarket people (like skyway) and actively supports the brand specific culture for future bike releases.

Regards,

B
+1 good thought - - How about a base model with manufacturer supported options, maybe even dealer installed licensed aftermarket accessories

I'd buy some

How about a base model, then a touring model which comes standard with:heated grips, top trunk, cruise control, and ipod connection w/speakers built in?

Emmm..try this, Yamaha offers the low cost, lower weight (raw) version however actively supports the after-market/farkle manufactures through standardizing of electrical accessory connections plus spends some additional in-house engineering efforts....
...Riders will then have the opportunity to purchase a more “raw” motorcycle, choose which farkles fill their individual needs and at the same time have Yamaha support domestic (USA) business development and help ensure both the quality of available farkles being put on their machine and the quality of installation. Lastly, Yamaha benefits from taping into the creativity of our aftermarket people (like skyway) and actively supports the brand specific culture for future bike releases.

Regards,

B
+1 good thought - - How about a base model with manufacturer supported options, maybe even dealer installed licensed aftermarket accessories

I'd buy some
Didn't Harley Davidson think of this already??

Harley sure did, but I don't think anyone is gonna accuse Yamaha of being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to marketing. After all, they didn't think the bike would sell in the US period. Maybe they are still waiting to see if it is gonna catch on here before we even get the stuff they do offer in Canada, Europe, and Australia. <_<

Regards,

B
+1 good thought - - How about a base model with manufacturer supported options, maybe even dealer installed [SIZE=10pt]licensed [/SIZE]aftermarket [SIZE=10pt]accessories[/SIZE]

I'd buy some

Yea,

If you want to spend 3X for them. <_< <_< <_<

Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS
Excellent argument! :good: But keep in mind that many of us farkle it up to 20 large anyway - granted, that's our choice, though.
:blink: I agree with Scott, what some of you want as "standard" equipment, you might as well buy a Goldwing.

I found the lessor weight, lower price, yet better performance, big considerations in choosing the FJR over the competition.

We are a diverse and huge group with a wide range of "must haves" on our personal list of farkles to personalize our FJR's to our exact liking. But, what one person's "must have" is the next person's "you have got to be kidding".

I owned a '05 FJR and presently own a '06 FJR.

I do believe the following "problem" items have been solved with the '06 model;

-heat problems have essentially been solved with the '06 model

-small # of ticking valve problems on '03 to '05 models aren't present on '06 models

-buffeting and negative pressure encountered on '03-'05 models are pretty much

eliminated on the '06-'07s.

-adjusting headlight aim due to load differences is easily accomplished on the '06-'07s.

-usable stator output has been increased on the '06-'07A's

I would propose to Yamaha that they lose weight, 60 to 70 lbs...it's a sport-tourer, not a Goldwing light.

I would ask that Yamaha not get caught up in the bigger is better race that you see among the cruiser crowd that has seen displacement jump from 1200 to 1400 to 1500 to 1600 to 1800 ccs for very little gain in performance but end result is just a lot more weight and empty bragging rights about engine displacement. You can get an amazing amount of tractible, smooth, dependable, torque filled, eye ball popping performance from engines in the 1200 to 1300cc range. I know the knee jerk reaction right now might be; well Kawasaki has a 1400 cc engine on their sport-tourer, so we have to go one bigger then them.

I would propose Yamaha utilize higher quality suspension components on the front and rear end...Yamaha owns Ohlins. There is no reason they can't use those top shelf components that have a longer life, greater range and are rebuildable.

I would propose Yamaha incorporate two 12volt outlets; one in the front fairing area that can be utilized to power the GPS, radar detector, communication gear, cell phone and XM radios that so many of you seem enamored of. The second 12volt outlet would be located on the left side below the drivers seat that could be utilized to power heated clothing or recharging a battery or keeping the battery charged with a Battery Tender or similar device. Both 12 volt outlets should be weather-proof, utilize heavy enough gauge wiring to handle a significant wattage, amperage, voltage encountered when powering heated clothing or charging a battery. Total additional cost and weight of wiring and outlets would be about $29 and 18 ozs.

Yamaha, whatever engineer designed the 12volt outlet that is in the compartment on the '06-'07 should not be allowed to design the location of the of two twelve twelve volt outlets...putting a 12volt outlet inside a compartment with a panel door that has to be opened to access the outlet was not very lucid thinking.

I do believe a great number of us who put miles on the FJR every year have installed some sort of throttle lock or an audiovox cruise control. Cruise control should be installed in future models, cost per unit would be less then $100 (economy of scale) and the extra weight of all cables and vacuum unit, control unit would be under 25 ozs. Witness all of us who have installed audiovox cruise controls.

Throttle spring tension should be decreased, no need for such a heavy throttle spring tension.

Yamaha, know your customer profile. Though most us believe we have sporting tendancies, most of us are of the age where our eyesight isn't what it was when we were twenty year old college students.

I would surmise ninety percent of FJR owners are over 42, we wear reading glasses, make the numbers on the speedometer larger.

If your wondering how to do this without "crowding", it's simple, you don't have to have 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc., etc., on the speedo, you can eliminate the 10, 30, 50, 70 etc., etc., and enlarge the 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 etc., etc., on the analog speedo face and put a heavier hash mark to denote the odd numbers...it works great on my Acura vehicle and I never have a question about how fast I'm going.

Keep the analog dial as most digital displays I have seen get washed out in bright sunlight and are overly bright in the dark of the night.

Keep the shaft drive, we don't want to go back to tensioning and lubing chains ala Ducati STS4 and Triumph Tiger sport tourers. I am quite content with five speed transmission on my '06.

The turn signal indicators on the '03-'05 models were too prominant, the indicators on the '06-'07 models too small, need to find the happy medium in-between.

Seat height adjustment on the '06-'07 was a improvement, but not carried far enough. There are enough of us vertically challenged and head in the cloud owners we need a greater range. Have a three position seat instead of two. A middle of the road setting and then a lower setting 1.25 inches lower, then a higher setting 1.25 inches above the middle setting. The plastic injected seat height adjuster on the '06-'07 model can't weigh more then 4 ozs. and certainly wouldn't be an expensive item to tool an injection mold for.

A greater range in the adjustable handlebar would also be appreciated.

None of the items I have enumerated would be a great increase in expense and weight.

I would depend on the engineers to do what they could in frame, engine, wheel, axel, brake rotor, muffler, etc., etc., design to cut excess weight.

I remember reading an article where BMW engineers made it a goal to lose more then 60 lbs on one of their models and they were able to exceed their goal and make a vast improvement over the previous year's model.

Yamaha, are you up to the challenge?

P.S. sorry about the incomplete posting earlier, hit the wrong key before I was finished and it went out onto the board!

Scott M. Chan

Decatur, TX.

Last edited by a moderator:
<_< I forgot helmet locks, that would be a good addition, I know some people will say that is what you have hardbags for, but if your traveling across country and all your bags are full of clothing and equipment, what then...remember, it's a sport-tourer.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Harrison

Senatobia, MS
Wouldn't you think a good marketing guy with Yamaha would offer a complete set of factory farkles so that they'd get in on the farkling?

jim

Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned removing the windshield auto-retract circuit (or did they do that already for '07?)

I know it'd add a few bucks, but I'd love to see turn signals integrated into the mirror surrounds. If anyone knows of an aftermarket solution that looks decent, I'd love to hear about it.

Yamaha used to make a full tour bike that would satisfy the "Ultimate Tourer" group. If I remember correctly it was called a Venture. Leave the FJR pretty much like it is (minus a few pounds) for those of us that want a bike that does well at both Sport and Touring.

Yamaha used to make a full tour bike that would satisfy the "Ultimate Tourer" group. If I remember correctly it was called a Venture.
+1000000

Me thinks that some folks bought the wrong style of bike. The FJR is a Sport Touring bike, not a couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.