2009 Bite the Wieeeenie RTE Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBoy

Reaction score
The LD Riding’s uber moto-chic, decked out in their haute couture all-weather riding gear, descended upon Pink’s Hot Dog, Los Angeles last night around the midnight hour. It was a full-day of “Yankin’” was followed up by a late evening of mass “Biting”!!!

The weather at Pinks was perfect! Riding jacket cool but not cold.

Jerry White’s “Yank the Weenie” do-it-yourself 12-hour mini-rally had many riders becoming part of the Hollywierd street scene! At the Grauman’s Chinese Theater, there was talk of a fully costumed Spiderman, a pseudo Gene Simmons KISS and someone poising as the blood-spitting, fire-breathing, and tongue-wagging Turbo Dave Hicks charging tourists $10 for a photo. Jerry will report separately on the “Yank …” results.

By 11 PM 75+ riders were ready for mass consumption. ~35 motorcycles had pretty much taken over the entire Pink’s parking lot with spill-over out street front (~20), on the sidewalk (~15) and they finally opened the private lot just south of Pinks for cage overflow. The 1-hour Pinks order line went across the front, around the corner and back into the parking lot!!

There was a good showing of west coast IBR veterans. Lisa Landry, Bill Watt, Tom Melchild, John Langan, Bob Hall, Margaret Peart, Greg Marbach, Mark Dieck, Ken Meese, Joe Mandeville, Alan Barbic, Alex Harper, Wendy Crockett, Chuck Hickey, George Zelenz, Doug Webb, Maura Gatensby, Tom & Rosie Sperry, Bob & Heidi Still to name a few.

This year we had 19 out-of-state riders. Our typical NV riders were shut down with 15” snow on the I-80 Donner Pass. Bad weather reports scared off a number of riders in the Pacific Northwest but we still had outstanding rides from Maura Gatensby, ST1300, Vancouver BC; Margaret Peart, R1200GS, WA; and Lori Magers, FJR1300, Tualatin OR. All three ladies let their riding do their talkin’. All three crossed the Siskiyou Summit, 4,310 feet (1,310 m), located just north of the Oregon/California border Saturday in some challenging weather conditions!

Pimp My Ride - Heidi Still, BMW 800GS (totally tacky with flowers, obnoxious stuff animals and lights) had competition from Lorraine Hickey, R1200GT (blinking chase lights).

Unofficial Distance Honors:

Jack Shoalmire, FJR, Broken Arrow, OK – 1,600 miles

BB Neely, FJR, Westlaco, TX - 1,580 miles

Jim Hoffman, FJR, Austin TX - 1,350 miles

Maura Gatensby, ST1300, Vancouver BC-1,314 miles

States/Canadian Providences

CA 57

AZ 5

NM 3

BC, CN 2

TX 2

OK 1

WA 1

ID 1

NM 1

OR 1

UT 1

Australia 1

Manufacture/Rides

FJR 32

BMW 15

Honda GL1800 6

Honda ST1300 5

Honda Other 3

HD/Buell 5

Suzuki 2

Kawasaki 1

Twice as many FJRs as BMWs. Is this a first?

You have to give me some time to report the Yank results. My netbook is at home and I'm at work all day. Here's all you need to know: George won. :)

Thanks Dean!!

Our little detour to get there: https://thumbwave.com/dl650/ytw2009.htm

IMG_7388_2sm.JPG

:yahoo: :clapping: Thank you Dean & Jerry for putting together this great day of events. :clapping: :yahoo:

I had a wonderful time and met a lot of people that I only knew from the LD & FJR Forums.

Dean, here is my RR <clicky>. I only wish I knew more of who some of the fine LDR folks are; they were there, I was too, but didn't catch names, and I'm not in the inner circle to know better. Still a fantastical phun ride, and I'll remember the gentlemans story of AK riding come this June - "oh, 230 miles max on a tank, not enough!" LOL, a great time, good memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean thanks again for the Bite the Weenie annual gathering. It was great. Lots of folks to tongue-wag with, share riding experiences with and just plain have a good ole fashioned good time. Hope to do it again next year. :clown2:

Dean thanks again for the Bite the Weenie annual gathering. It was great. Lots of folks to tongue-wag with, share riding experiences with and just plain have a good ole fashioned good time. Hope to do it again next year. :clown2:
Nice avatar there, turbo! Great seeing you in sunny CA :)

Nice avatar there, turbo! Great seeing you in sunny CA :)
Maura it is always special to give you a hug and see your smile. Happy Holidays to you and yours!! :rolleyes: