2010 Yamaha FJR Intro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flagship smagship. It's just a bike. And an unpopular one (in the USA) at that.
Unfortunately (for us), SportTouring bikes are not all that popular nor particularly desirable in mainstream America. Crotch rockets and chopper clones sell much better as young Ricky Racers and old 1%'er wannabees make up the vast majority of 'cycle buyers.

As foreign as the idea is to most of us, most American motorcyclists do not want to ride vast distances at a spirited pace. They don't have the time nor attention span to spend a whole day, let alone a week or more wandering around discovering new places. For these in the majority, a bike is just a toy for a Sunday morning run to the coffee shop, or for meeting the boys at the bar on.

If there was an Ooh-wow bike in the Yamaha line up I would have to say it is the R1. Not because I think so, but because everyone else thinks so.
Smagship?

you hit it on the head!

S/T's are a very limited minority in the U.S. When I road through Canada this summer the number of S/T's were quadruple from anything I see in my area of WA, ID, MT. So, I hear ya, we don't have the customer appeal that Yamaha or other companies are necessarily going to cater to.

Flagship smagship. It's just a bike. And an unpopular one (in the USA) at that.
Unfortunately (for us), SportTouring bikes are not all that popular nor particularly desirable in mainstream America. Crotch rockets and chopper clones sell much better as young Ricky Racers and old 1%'er wannabees make up the vast majority of 'cycle buyers.

As foreign as the idea is to most of us, most American motorcyclists do not want to ride vast distances at a spirited pace. They don't have the time nor attention span to spend a whole day, let alone a week or more wandering around discovering new places. For these in the majority, a bike is just a toy for a Sunday morning run to the coffee shop, or for meeting the boys at the bar on.

If there was an Ooh-wow bike in the Yamaha line up I would have to say it is the R1. Not because I think so, but because everyone else thinks so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said. The FJR is a niche bike.

Definately not a flagship for Yamaha. That would be the Star cruisers. They sell a shitload of those. Right behind them would be the crotch rockets.

GP

Definately not a flagship for Yamaha. That would be the Star cruisers. They sell a shitload of those. Right behind them would be the crotch rockets.
GP
Sales has nothing to do with a model being the "flagship" of a manufacturing line. Example, the Volkswagen Golf is without a doubt VW's top selling model, but it certainly wouldn't classify a their "flagship" model. That would be the Phaeton, which has about 6,000 units built annually.

And a "shitload.....of Star cruisers" or "crotch rockets" by definition couldn't be considered flagships. A flagship, by definition, would be the best or most important one of a group or system. I'd call it a toss-up between the FJR, for its exclusivity status, or the R1, for its technology and niche dominance.

That all being said, the 2010 still disappoints 'Howie.

GP
Sales has nothing to do with a model being the "flagship" of a manufacturing line. Example, the Volkswagen Golf is without a doubt VW's top selling model, but it certainly wouldn't classify a their "flagship" model. That would be the Phaeton, which has about 6,000 units built annually.

And a "shitload.....of Star cruisers" or "crotch rockets" by definition couldn't be considered flagships. A flagship, by definition, would be the best or most important one of a group or system. I'd call it a toss-up between the FJR, for its exclusivity status, or the R1, for its technology and niche dominance.

+1

<RadioHowie Steve: man of wisdom :yahoo: >

GP

And we all remember how well the 'flagship" Phaeton did here in USA--plug was pulled after a few years because of dismal sales, poor owners that bought that car hit with ridiculous depreciation...

From an economic point of view, I'm just glad they are still making the FJR...and it's not so long in the tooth like the ST1300.

GP

Actually, Yamaha considers the R1 the flagship of its sportbike line, and the VMax the flagship of its Star line. I know. I've asked them...

Actually, Yamaha considers the R1 the flagship of its sportbike line, and the VMax the flagship of its Star line. I know. I've asked them...
You couldn't have put it better, Monkeypuppet.

In that context, then the FJR would have to be the flagship of their Super Sport Touring line. Pretty easy to do with a one-model segment.

And we all remember how well the 'flagship" Phaeton did here in USA--plug was pulled after a few years because of dismal sales, poor owners that bought that car hit with ridiculous depreciation...
There ya go, equating sales with flagship status. Doesn't compute.

From an economic point of view, I'm just glad they are still making the FJR...and it's not so long in the tooth like the ST1300.
Better do some research....the FJR predates the ST1300 by a year. And don't go makin' no ST1100 to ST1300 comparisons either, 'cause the FJ1200 predates the ST1100 by 6 years. :blink: :blink:

So which model is getting a little long in the tooth?????

2009_FZ1TE_Blue_3.jpg
Hey, I recognize those saddlebags.

Shirley those bags are Photoshopped if not you will never fill them and ride . To far out back etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I recognize those saddlebags.

Shirley those bags are Photoshopped if not you will never fill them and ride . To far out back etc
Actually that is NOT a photoshop job, I saw the FZ1 dressed up llike that at the Abbottsford Motorcycle show in February I think. They did look a touch 'high' but the aggressive sport touring bike it really looked like a hot FJR rendition.

Enough of that, as far as flagships go, there is ONE flagship in my stable and it is my '04 with 92,000 km on it. Farkled to my liking and alway ready to make big shit eating grins when I am on my favourite twisties or loaded for a tour. Yamaha has provided us with one of the sweetest most versatile bikes ever, so that fact the 2010 is just a different colour doesn't both me one bit. Besides everyone knows....................silver has ALWAYS been the fastest colour!!!!