2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Twisted, you would have made us all actually have to work for the next day or two? What are you some kind of Nazi? If the Spotwalla track goes down, we all might have to actually do something productive.

I must be missing something, since there is no 666 on the Spotwalla page. Unless you are just making such an obvious joke.

Furriner status:

So how are our foreigners doing? They are not too shabby:

•  
  • John Young is still moving in Missouri... yea! :yahoo:

• Gerhard Martin-Krueger is among the group fast closing in on St Louis.

• Jennyfer & Jack (Canadian 'J'-Team) is a hour or so ahead of Gerhard.

• Frazer Phil is also streaming to St Louis.

• I don't have a lead on the Aussie couple quite yet... Tom Austin should have that info in today's Daily Report.

If it was my wife or daughter and there safety was a great concern maybe I would have went along or convinced them it might not be the best idea to do this . From a saftey perspective is that really the first concern for any rider be it female or male ,at the speeds and pace most of these competitors are running is the chance of a bad dude catching them really the true concern ? I would think sleep deprivation and elevated speeds for extended periods of time would be a much larger saftey concern . So are there other reasons ?
We know that capitals are on the list. We know, roughly, where they are and someone could figure out where they'll be. They don't have to be riding to be caught.

TriggerT - why aren't you riding in this? Didn't you just spend a boat-load of money making #2 a rally bike? Aren't you the insane one who rode to CO by way of Fargo, Sioux Falls and Omahell?

I think WC/IBR rally-people were being too nice to put up the Spot page. We survived without it for how long?

Wait, did I just call WC....nice?

Anyone know what the highest number of miles ridden in a IBR has been? I am just wondering how much it will be smashed by at the end of this rally.

Just a quick introduction, a note of thanks, and a couple of comments:

My name is Steve, I have an IBA number and plan on increasing my involvement this year and future years. I am in Oklahoma, and it was me who asked the question in the Spring IBA Magazine about starting a Coast to Coast to Coast from the middle of the country (for obvious reasons).

Thanks to EVERYONE, Staff, volunteers and Riders for putting on such a show. Quite frankly, I wish I were riding along with John Young on MY 1977 Triple (a Yamaha). Many thanks too to this Forum for hosting such a great "LiveBlog".

Comment ... I read with interest the remarks about "Team Riding". I can see that it might be a fun thing to do if your aim were for a decent finishing place. I can't see it working for anyone with ambitions to Podium. Chains being as strong as their weakest link. Even strong competitors have slower moments. They won't coincide so you will ride your slow moments and your partners. I would e very happy to be proven wrong.

On the SpotWalla issue ....

The riders have the right to expect that the only public info is the letters they entered on the page. They have not signed up for full public disclosure of their names and locations. They have enough to worry about right now without any distractions, and on that basis alone the IBA just made the correct decision.

just my 2c

Good luck to all.

So are there other reasons ?
I figure if the poo-bahs running the show wanted the names made public, they could have put the names on the spot instead of codes... that alone is good enough for me.
I agree completely. The rules are the rules. If someone doesn't like the rules they need to put on their own rally with their own rules.

Someone noted that a clever person with a before/after shot could still match numbers to previous TLAs and figure out which is where.

As much as it would suck for the next couple days, even with random numbers on trackers, for security it should be taken down until the NY checkpoint, when all the riders are in one place. Re-randomize the numbers and send 'em off.

And which forum should I sign up for to join in the smack-down of the f'idiot that posted that list? Has it been taken down?

Spot s71 (?) has not moved off same area of I-64 in L-ville,Ky in a L-O-N-G time. Nothing there,so I'm hoping it's not a breakdown. I'm 10 min from there and feel like it's 100 miles away! Wish I knew if they needed assistance... I'd have to take an extended break from the office!

Thanks for keeping the Spotwalla going, life wouldn't be worth living without it!

Glad to hear good news about John Young still going strong…so who was taking bets he wouldn't even make it out of Seatlle? Lol

Furriner status:

So how are our foreigners doing? They are not too shabby:

•  
  • John Young is still moving in Missouri... yea! :yahoo:

• Gerhard Martin-Krueger is among the group fast closing in on St Louis.

• Jennyfer & Jack (Canadian 'J'-Team) is a hour or so ahead of Gerhard.

• Frazer Phil is also streaming to St Louis.

• I don't have a lead on the Aussie couple quite yet... Tom Austin should have that info in today's Daily Report.

John Young - Triumph Trident, reminds me of Steve Atwood shipping over his "Guzzi" in 93. I don't think John will have quite as good as finish as Steve did though,(Steve won it) that was a whole different century. Ken Hattan was about the only one using electronics even remotely close to what would be considered BARE minimum today. Just my $.02 worth.

:fan_1: :fan_1: :clapping: :clapping:

Anyone know what the highest number of miles ridden in a IBR has been? I am just wondering how much it will be smashed by at the end of this rally.
I don't know the exact number but IIRC it's about 13,354 by Mark Kieker a forth place finish in '05.

Thanks Rick!

I was thinking that in addition to the safety factor in keeping the riders anonymous, there is also the fact that the riders might not want people trying to intercept them with well wishes. It might be very well intended for people to try to meet up with the riders, but these folks are in rally mode, they do not have time to chat, or talk about how their bike is set up. They need to bag bonuses and MOTOR.

IBR Start - GOD-LIKE PHOTOS FROM TOBIE STEVENS!!!!!!!!

Click on the above link and go check these photos out, most of them are simply out-fucking-standing!

A small sampling:

Two beemer dudes - Chris Sakala and Roger Sinclair - give Doug Barrett's FJR a gentle push:

IBR-2011-START-SEATTLE-WA-125-L.jpg

Jeff Earls and myself, moments before I release the riders:

IBR-2011-START-SEATTLE-WA-281-L.jpg

Nancy Oswald (Ms Kitty) rolls out the gate on her BMW Atomic Cockroach:

IBR-2011-START-SEATTLE-WA-465-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.