2012 SE Ohio Ramble - May 11-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've really begun to practice what I preach as an MSF RiderCoach the last few years. I've reduced my trail braking into blind or unknown corners and love to power through the corners when I have determined the road is clear. I've finally figured out it saves on the wide eyed, white knuckled, anal clenching right before the appex.
I really appreciate your post here. Several of us are active racers, track day riders, and instructors. We all seem to have much more reservation on the road than before we started racing. At the track we know where the road goes up ahead, no cars, and if there is a issue (hopefully) a corner worker is waving a flag telling us something is in the way ahead. on the road I go into a turn a little slower assuming there is gravel or a car crowding my lane. I go deeper into corner before turning in, if road is clear then I can turn sharp and use the gas to the determine how wide I want to make my exit. Going deep and turing sharp is what we are taught in race school and the best motorcycle rideing books state the same thing. You get good visablity into the turn, you turn once and then control your exit via acceleration. If done properly it is virtually impossible to run wide into a corner. And you get to experience the awesome torque of the FJR as you wail out :yahoo:
I'm always afraid of sand, gravel, wandering cars and trucks in the corners as well. This time of year a lot of roads still have plenty of sand leftover from winter operations on them. Just yesterday I was up on Road 13 in the Muskokas and it was covered in sand in many places from edge of pavement to edge of pavement. I'm fast enough, but I'll be doing my own ride, and not trying to keep up with experienced racers.

I'm always afraid of sand, gravel, wandering cars and trucks in the corners as well. This time of year a lot of roads still have plenty of sand leftover from winter operations on them. Just yesterday I was up on Road 13 in the Muskokas and it was covered in sand in many places from edge of pavement to edge of pavement.
Southwood nearly always has sand on it. If theirs no sand, they've patched it 'cold' and has ball bearing bits of pavement all over it.

Fun road, but I think they do that on purpose to keep the bikes off of it.

We had a very mild winter this year in southeastern Ohio so sand won't be as big an issue as most years.Unfortunately,a bigger issue will be cinders,or light gravel,that ODOT applies to the edge of the road and cars drag onto the road.They lined SR26 a few weeks ago and some of the corners were dirty,but if you stay in a tire track it shoudn't be a problem.

This is going to be one very twisty weekend. :) These two routes include most of the best roads in southeastern Ohio.Some very well known,some mostly only known by locals,but nearly all are very fun,challenging rides. :yahoo:

AmishFJR Ed (brother of Griff-Carl) is signing up. I have a double hotel reservation at the Best Western so am looking for a room splitter. Coming in from Harrisburg PA so would be interested in slabbing it in with anyone coming out the PA turnpike. just another FNG :blink:

AmishFJR Ed (brother of Griff-Carl) is signing up. I have a double hotel reservation at the Best Western so am looking for a room splitter. Coming in from Harrisburg PA so would be interested in slabbing it in with anyone coming out the PA turnpike. just another FNG :blink:

Welcome Ed, glad you can make it...maybe you and Abercrombie can work out a room split...you're gonna love these roads. Are you here for both the Saturday AND Sunday rides?

Everybody pray for decent weather (not storming) for the Ramble days.

Just a note to let you know I 'may' show up for this.

I'm doing the Breaks Camping trip and have booked the time off. The issue is the weather. It's not uncommon to get some way cold (read sn*w) this time of year. So I'll be paying attention to the weather forecast. If weather for the weekend of the Breaks trip is looking craptacular, I'll be going to Ohio if weather permits.

Regardless, it's about time I get my ride on!

Just a note to let you know I 'may' show up for this.

I'm doing the Breaks Camping trip and have booked the time off. The issue is the weather. It's not uncommon to get some way cold (read sn*w) this time of year. So I'll be paying attention to the weather forecast. If weather for the weekend of the Breaks trip is looking craptacular, I'll be going to Ohio if weather permits.

Regardless, it's about time I get my ride on!
Hey Steve, it would be great to have you if you can make it. Understand about the weather and such. It might be worth it to buy a snow plow for that bike just to make it down here. Denny/drc32-0 has out done himself this year and really provided some great roads for the Ramble Routes. You won't be sorry.

You NEED this.

BTW, thanks for the warning...guys, bar the door and ask for passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
You NEED this.

BTW, thanks for the warning...guys, bar the door and ask for passports.
Huh.. wha?! Did somebody say bar?!

Ya, I NEED this. I've only got on about 500 miles so far this year.

That's all right, he's gotta find us first. What are the chances of that?? :D
Screw you guys. I'm gonna stop by in Barnesville and gather up my long lost relatives on their tractors and ride the route. Best be on your toes.

Well, this looks like the group that has said that they WILL be there...not might...or maybe...Looks like quite a good group...with some long distance riders coming from ND out west to Pennsylvania and Connecticut out east. Even have some invaders from up north...yes, some Michiganders (and 'nuckians) are trying to cross over the border. We'll see if the local Buckeyes tolerate that. :D

Riding the loop on Saturday...

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

Bockelrider and wife(slow is good for us)

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

SLK50 (Slower group this time, please)

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

Riding the loop on Sunday...

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine ( at least first half before heading north for home)

UselessPickles ( at least first half before heading north for home)

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Ray (till I head north later in day)

Gray Ray

Bockelrider and wife for first half before heading north.

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18 (Until he heads back home)

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

I will be sending out the GPS files shortly after this weekend and turnsheets should be available. I would recommend BRINGING a detailed Ohio map and a highlighter and markup your map. Who knows, YOU might even be leading a group...so it behooves all of you to get to know this rollercoaster riding route before you get on your machine.

I will go over Saturday's route ONCE on Friday evening...and will go over Sunday's route ONCE on Saturday evening...hopefully before I've had too many (2) beers. :lol:

Get fresh or new tires on your bike NOW... don't come here with slacker rubbers. Get your maintenance done. :clapping:

Get ready to have fun with some new and old friends. I'll let you decide who all that is. :D

Well, this looks like the group that has said that they WILL be there...not might...or maybe...Looks like quite a good group...with some long distance riders coming from ND out west to Pennsylvania out east. Even have some invaders from up north...yes, some Michiganders are trying to cross over the border. We'll see if the local Buckeyes tolerate that. :D

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Ray

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Ray (till I head north later in day)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

I will be sending out the GPS files shortly after this weekend and turnsheets should be available. I would recommend BRINGING a detailed Ohio map and a highlighter and markup your map. Who knows, YOU might even be leading a group...so it behooves all of you to get to know this rollercoaster riding route before you get on your machine.

I will go over Saturday's route ONCE on Friday evening...and will go over Sunday's route ONCE on Saturday evening...hopefully before I've had too many (2) beers. :lol:

Get fresh or new tites on your bike NOW... don't come here with slacker rubbers. Get your maintenance done. :clapping:

Get ready to have fun with some new and old friends. I'll let you decide who all that is. :D
Dang it, you got me second guessing my tires. Went out and checked the PR3s with under 5000 on them and the rear isn't going to cut it for the round trip and Ohio curves like I thought with out worry. I hate changeing out a tire with a lot of miles left on it but beats the alternative of possibly driving home on the cords. I was anticipating better milage from the PR3s.

Ambercrombir,

I wish I knew how to post up pic's, I would like to show everyone my brothers definition of chicken strip.

Well, this looks like the group that has said that they WILL be there...not might...or maybe...Looks like quite a good group...with some long distance riders coming from ND out west to Pennsylvania and Connecticut out east. Even have some invaders from up north...yes, some Michiganders (and 'nuckians) are trying to cross over the border. We'll see if the local Buckeyes tolerate that. :D

griff

wheatonFJR

extrememarine

UselessPickles

PhilJet09

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

naskie18

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

gravity

Bungie

griff

wheatonFJR

PhilJet09 (1st half)

Gray Ray

John d

John d's friend Brian

drc32-0

DesignFlaw06

Abercrombie FJR

amishFJR

gravity

Bungie

Moosehead

Mossehead buddy#1

Moosehead buddy #2

Get fresh or new tires on your bike NOW... don't come here with slacker rubbers. Get your maintenance done. :clapping:

A few people have not responded to the post regarding which days they are riding, Saturday, Sunday, or both. The list above does not include Bikergeek (probably cuz he was on a trip getting his attitude adjusted), and flowback. Please send me a PM or post up so I can plan.

In the meantime, based on past experience, peoples posts, and just plain guesses regarding what groups people might want to ride in, I am thinking of the following groups tentatively put together. This is NOT hard and fast...if anyone wants to switch, or even wants to form their own group...please let me know so I can adjust the groups. There is no designated group leader for any of these. You all are expected to learn the route, or choose your own route and choose a ride leader amongst yourselves.

Group A (and no, that doesn't stand for a-holes)

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

Flowback

John d

Brian (John d's friend)

Group B (No, that doesn't stand for beotches)

wheatonFJR

drc32-0

extrememarine

DesignFlaw06

Naskie18

AbercrombieFJR

Group C (No, that doesn't stand for crazies)

Griff

amishFJR

Bockelrider (2up)

Bungie

Moosehead

and 2 buddies

Group D (no, that doesn't stand for dicks)

Bikergeek (2up)

SLK50

PhilJet

gravity

UselessPickles

EDIT: THESE GROUPS WILL CHANGE...THEY ARE GETTING TOO BIG. I WILL BE MAKING ANOTHER GROUP

Please know that if I move someone to a different group, I am just trying to make a judgement to make the day a safe and fun ride for all.

The general pace is faster in group A than group B and so on...but there may be faster riders in Group C than Group B, etc...I'm just trying to put like paced people together -AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE- so people feel less tempted to go a pace faster than they should.

you can put me in the "D" group

I may want to go a little faster but I don't want to have to feel the need to keep up

This trip may be my attitude adjustment Maybe I'll learn something from the Geeks

Besides just the trip out there is going to kick my ass some

Between work and family life I've had very little ride time

So I just want to meet some like minded peaple then enjoy the sights and ride at a mellow pace

I'm in for both full days

and where do we place the order for nice SUNNY DAYS

Peter

you can put me in the "D" group

I may want to go a little faster but I don't want to have to feel the need to keep up

This trip may be my attitude adjustment Maybe I'll learn something from the Geeks

Besides just the trip out there is going to kick my ass some

Between work and family life I've had very little ride time

So I just want to meet some like minded peaple then enjoy the sights and ride at a mellow pace

I'm in for both full days

and where do we place the order for nice SUNNY DAYS

Peter
Thanks Peter for the post. I'll update the post above.

Group A (and no, that doesn't stand for a-holes)

Gray Ray

El Toro Joe

Flowback

John d

Brian (John d's friend)

Group B (No, that doesn't stand for beotches)

wheatonFJR

drc32-0

extrememarine

DesignFlaw06

Naskie18

Group C (No, that doesn't stand for crazies)

Griff

amishFJR

Bockelrider (2up)

Group D (no, that doesn't stand for dicks)

Bikergeek (2up)

SLK50

PhilJet

gravity
Guys I have to withdrawn. I just found out we have a track day that weekend and race practice with Motoseries. I am part of the staff and will need to be instructing that weekend, plus need the seat time for our first race weekend May 18. I am really sorry about this - I was really looking forward to it. I did not know this event was scheduled because it was not on the racie calendar. Gray Ray and I ran about 360 miles today do on some of the roads to check them out - I will let him post up on road conditions. Sorry to miss you guys! :(

Guys I have to withdrawn. I just found out we have a track day that weekend and race practice with Motoseries. I am part of the staff and will need to be instructing that weekend, plus need the seat time for our first race weekend May 18. I am really sorry about this - I was really looking forward to it. I did not know this event was scheduled because it was not on the racie calendar. Gray Ray and I ran about 360 miles today do on some of the roads to check them out - I will let him post up on road conditions. Sorry to miss you guys! :(
Sorry you're gonna miss it Ray...but thanks for giving me the heads up. See, that's what responsibility gets ya.