2013 2000km ride impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I wouldn't mind the analog speedo if the numbers were'nt so fucking small. What sucks is there is so much ROOM on the dash for biggers numbers

Agreed, I wouldn't mind the analog speedo if the numbers were'nt so fucking small. What sucks is there is so much ROOM on the dash for biggers numbers
Analog or digital speedo? I don't really care, I mostly watch my speed on my GPS...
glare.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can add a different prespective to this. I've never owned an FJR. But a S/T appeals to me now. I am a member of a club and I want to do more longer overnight hauls. So for a ST the choices: a ridicuously expensive K1600GT, the ginormous, underpowered Triumph Trophy, The Connie which to me is more like an outdated ZX14 with panniers, and lastly the very reasonable "new" FJR. But after riding an older BMW LT with active cruise control (and contrasting that to a conventional throttle lock on another bike I've owned) I wouldn't be buying a S/T without an active cruise control. So that leaves the '13 FJR. So from my perspective this is a big jump for me.

But would I have gone from a 2012-2013 FJR just for its refreshed features? I seriously doubt it. Not dissing the OP. Just saying the '13 FJR refresh sold me on an ST in general -with its competitive price of course.

Fiveman, Enjoyed your comments from someone coming from a Gen ll and as I have had my Gen l since 9/03 I would have been more forgiving of the GEN lll improvements. We had our problems with the 1st Gen l’s but the teething problems with the 1st Gen ll’s made me stay away from them. While my ’04 only has 60+k mi on it, the improvements (from the Gen l) were enough for me to take the risk for a new one. Later,,,De
smile.png

Analog or digital speedo? I don't really care, I mostly watch my speed on my GPS...
glare.gif
As a new FJR owner, can you tell me what the actual speed is when the speedometer says 60mph?

glare.gif
As a new FJR owner, can you tell me what the actual speed is when the speedometer says 60mph?
Gen III, 60MPH indicated is about 59MPH actual..seems to be about 1 mph until about 72mph indicated, then the gap increases by 2 mph... 82 indicated = 80 actual

glare.gif
Gen III, 60MPH indicated is about 59MPH actual..seems to be about 1 mph until about 72mph indicated, then the gap increases by 2 mph... 82 indicated = 80 actual
Thank you.

Mine's a 2012, but I'm thinking they are similar as far as pre-set accuracy. I understand the FJR's have the most accurate speedometers as far as motorcycles go...

I was actually stunned that it didn't have self-cancelling turn signals. My '78 Yamaha had them. My '86 Yamaha had them. It should be easier to implement with the electronics on this bike. One thing I've heard is that customers complained about it. Really? If some people don't like it, how hard would it be to put it on and let some turn if off if they want?

I also ride a ZRX1100 and the indicators are below my field of vision on it. I'd ride for miles flashing "I'm an idiot ....... I'm an idiot ....... I'm an idiot ......." Last year I wired an LED light in the fairing where I can see it between the speedo and tach, and that solved that problem. Actually, the unintended result is that it reflects off the back of the windshield, where I can't avoid seeing it.

The indicators are way better placed on the FJR even if they are a little small. So far, I've seen it, so I'll see how it goes, but I may find a place for an LED on it as well.

Digital speedos suck v. analog, IMHO.

I'll disagree. Digital speedos are the dog's danglies! However when it comes to a Tach, true analog is the only way to go.
Another positive vote from me as well. This is my first digital speedo, and I really like it.
I had both at the same time, TDM900 (digital) and FJR1300 (analogue) for a while and I initially favoured the analogue. However with advancing years and declining eyesight I came to favour the larger digital readout.

With a digital speedo you loose the impression of rate-of-change of speed i.e. the needle rotating around the dial. But I found that it didn't take me lomg to get past this and enjoy the benefit of a larger more clear indication of speed. Something I like about the gen III clock arrangement and miss on my gen II.

glare.gif
Thank you.

Mine's a 2012, but I'm thinking they are similar as far as pre-set accuracy. I understand the FJR's have the most accurate speedometers as far as motorcycles go...
Not so much. Gen II FJRs are known to have the most inaccurate speedometers. Close to 5mph off at 80mph.

Gen Is are more accurate, but probably not quite as accurate as the Gen III.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you run a car tire on a Gen I, the speedometer will be dead on exact. Just like that damned tire was meant to be there!
yes.gif

Gen II FJRs are known to have the most inaccurate speedometers. Close to 5mph off at 80mph.
My '06 was off only by 2~3 mph at 80 according to the GPS. Super Tenere speedo's are way worse at about 8+% error.

my '08 was off big time. about 5 mph at 75 mph.
I bet you're both running different rear tires too. Different tire, different profile, different speedo reading.

My SV changed from ~9% to ~5 or 5.5% generous when I got new tires. Same size, different brand.

Gen II FJRs are known to have the most inaccurate speedometers. Close to 5mph off at 80mph.
My '06 was off only by 2~3 mph at 80 according to the GPS. Super Tenere speedo's are way worse at about 8+% error.

my '08 was off big time. about 5 mph at 75 mph.
I bet you're both running different rear tires too. Different tire, different profile, different speedo reading.

My SV changed from ~9% to ~5 or 5.5% generous when I got new tires. Same size, different brand.
Different makes/models of tires doesn't make a diddly squat difference in my experience over 350k miles. Barely even a noticeable difference from new to worn.

The speedo errors I reported are the same that have been widely reported by other owners over the years. 20valves seems to be an anomaly.

The only exception to the different tires is a car tire. Running a car tire makes my Gen I speedo dead-on accurate.

Digital speedos suck v. analog, IMHO.
One thing nice about the digital speedo is it's easier to read for the over 40 crowd.

I miss the digital speedo on my 2007 Bandit1250 cuz it had BIG numbers, I have a hard time reading the analog speedo on my 2008 FJR.

I was actually stunned that it didn't have self-cancelling turn signals. My '78 Yamaha had them. My '86 Yamaha had them. It should be easier to implement with the electronics on this bike.

I haven't seen self cancelling turn signals on a Japanese bike since about 1990!

I heard one reason they stopped using them is that they didn't work that well.

I just figure you can turn the signal on, why is it so hard to turn it off?

I was actually stunned that it didn't have self-cancelling turn signals. My '78 Yamaha had them. My '86 Yamaha had them. It should be easier to implement with the electronics on this bike.

I haven't seen self cancelling turn signals on a Japanese bike since about 1990!

I heard one reason they stopped using them is that they didn't work that well.

I just figure you can turn the signal on, why is it so hard to turn it off?
My 2002 Goldwing has self-cancelling turn signals, and my 1995 Voyager had them. Prior to 1990, my '86 FJ1200, '78 Yamaha 750, and '80 Yamaha 850 had them. There were many other bikes that had them, and I sure don't remember any problems. I've been in this game a long time and think if there were a lot of problems with them I'd have heard about at least one or two. I'm not saying there were none; I'm saying I don't believe problems were so pervasive the manufacturers just gave up. I suspect the attorneys had something to do with it ;)

They're not so hard to turn off. Remembering to turn them off, on the other hand is the trick. I go to ZRX rallies twice most years and at some point in that weekend I'll follow someone for miles with the signal on. It never fails. Maybe you never, ever forget and never will. But other people do.

My ZRX has the reminders below the speedo and tach, and with a full face helmet on, I can't see them. I'll dip my head enough to look at the instruments but never see that little green arrow. So I put an LED inside the fairing where I can see it between the tach and speedo, and now, I never forget. The FJR can be seen well too, and I expect to have no problems.

yeah, i was almost set to purchase the 2013, took a look at it last weekend. i have an 06 with about 31,000 miles on it. Safe to say, its just not worth it to me to upgrade for such a premium. I'll wait for at least a used model. Or maybe in a few years they'll finally add that darn 6th gear! LOL