2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has pointed this out and it is obvious to me. The 2013 is a time machine. If the cruise was capable of being set at 88 mph we would all be time traveling. To keep that from happening they crippled the cruise. The 14 is obviously a crippled model with out the time travel chip. Now put a throttle lock on it and find a flat road and travel into the future and tell us what color the 15 will be?
Carry on!

Joe
Blue

No one has pointed this out and it is obvious to me. The 2013 is a time machine. If the cruise was capable of being set at 88 mph we would all be time traveling. To keep that from happening they crippled the cruise. The 14 is obviously a crippled model with out the time travel chip...
I've got that covered here.

No quote.

For me, when everything comes together on the road, time . . . ceases to exist; there is only the moment I'm in.

Shuey

Last edited by a moderator:
A new ECU also shows up as 0 miles on the odometer(or the x.2 miles from the donor bike :).) Not sure I want to deal with mileage issue should you decide to sell the bike.
Just a guess. I think you might lose more potential buyers from having to explain the mileage issue than the cc limitation. Definitely sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

I was under the impression that the odometer mileage resided with the instrument cluster, not the ECU. When I had the ECU replaced (altitude sickness recall) on my '07, it did not affect the mileage. Similarly, when the instrument clusters on the early '06 FJR's were replaced due to a fault with the fuel mileage computer, the new odometers read 0 and a sticker with the actual reset miles was placed in the glove box.

Ross

Rode to the dealer in Memphis and everyone there, in all departments, said they hadn't heard about the 2013 FJRs having a 80mph limit on their cruise.
They called their Yamaha contact, to no avail, then to USA Customer Service, also to no avail. I called, same answer. As others have stated Yamaha has no plans to do anything about the 2013 cruise control limitation.

So life goes on. Wifman, was there anything in the "other" threads about any third party attempting to solve this? I'd pay.

Shuey
We are talking to Nels @ 2wheeldynoworks to see when they reflash an ECU, if they can eliminate the speed limit for the cruise engagement. He thought so, but need to verify that. IF you want ot talk to him directly you can reach him at 425-269-5332 or via email at [email protected]

I am working to have him at the PNW tech meet to discuss ECU reflashes and what gets reset when they do it. Usually they do it as part of setting a custom map on the dyno. Maybe he can do that for you without doing all the dyno work??

Rode to the dealer in Memphis and everyone there, in all departments, said they hadn't heard about the 2013 FJRs having a 80mph limit on their cruise.
They called their Yamaha contact, to no avail, then to USA Customer Service, also to no avail. I called, same answer. As others have stated Yamaha has no plans to do anything about the 2013 cruise control limitation.

So life goes on. Wifman, was there anything in the "other" threads about any third party attempting to solve this? I'd pay.

Shuey
We are talking to Nels @ 2wheeldynoworks to see when they reflash an ECU, if they can eliminate the speed limit for the cruise engagement. He thought so, but need to verify that. IF you want ot talk to him directly you can reach him at 425-269-5332 or via email at [email protected]

I am working to have him at the PNW tech meet to discuss ECU reflashes and what gets reset when they do it. Usually they do it as part of setting a custom map on the dyno. Maybe he can do that for you without doing all the dyno work??
I just sent him an email to let him know I'd be in line for a re-flash if he developed it.

Please let me know how it goes. I want him to come to the tech meet and do my '06 as a test bed and compare his tune to the PCV with auto tune that I currently have. Also it would give the people attending a demo of the process and see it first hand.

Shuey

I'm really interested in this also and will send an email directly. Thanks for continuing to pursue this. Fingers crossed that it ends up being even easier than expected!

Shuey

PS: Email sent.

Auburn, thanks for doing this...... I am interested in eliminating the fuel cut feature primarily as in my other thread on the subject. If there is a fuel map change also I'd be interested in that if it improves the lean performance (of '06 & '07) without sacrificing much in fuel economy. I currently have a PCV.

Thought I'd ask before April 1st rolls around at midnight . . . any new info on this topic?

Was Nels @ 2wheeldynoworks able to develop anything useful?

Shuey

I just sent another email to Nels. I have not heard anything back from him yet. But, it may help if he gets a few requests from others too.

I got an email back yesterday. Sounds like they are still working to crack the code on the 2013's. It may be a function of not having one on hand or not enough time with one they can work with yet not sure. It might be worth a phone call directly to him since you have a 2013.

Where are they located?
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, that may be a bit far for me to drop the bike off
uhoh.gif
I guess someone else will need to volunteer.

Once he does get it cracked and a few baselines he may be able to have you send the ECU and flash it for you. Not as good as a dyno, but at least he can correct the problems areas he is seeing as a trend on the others. And fix the cruise limit. But he needs to get so me baselines first.