2013 Cruise control: Phooey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be happy you got a factory cruise. On my 2008AE all I got is a $20 go cruise. Maybe for $20 buy one and use it when you need to go faster.

Just keep your hands on the handlebar for speeds of 81 to137 mph. When you let go it will settle back to 80mph automatically. You're not supposed to have your hands off the bars at speeds in excess of 80mph anyway...

This email response just received . . .

"Shuey,

Right now we dont have the technology to remove this limitation. We are working on it and developing new features every day, but its not quite done yet. We are getting a lot of attention regarding this cruise control issue and hope to have a resolution soon.

Thanks,

Nels"

Last edited by a moderator:
This email response just received . . .

"Shuey,

Right now we dont have the technology to remove this limitation. We are working on it and developing new features every day, but its not quite done yet. We are getting a lot of attention regarding this cruise control issue and hope to have a resolution soon.

Thanks,

Nels"
I'm sure they'd like to figure it out. That would be money in the bank.

Wow....can't believe this is still going...mountain out of a mole hill...
need to live out west where the speed limits are higher and the spaces more wide open, then you will understand. Especially where some states have 80 mph limits. You will get run over if you set the cruise at 80.

need to live out west where the speed limits are higher and the spaces more wide open, then you will understand. Especially where some states have 80 mph limits. You will get run over if you set the cruise at 80.
This. Even in Oregon, where rural interstates are 65 and everywhere else is posted 55- there are an amazing number of places where setting the CC for 80 on a nice day is asking to get run over.

I live out west, and I have ridden through many stretch of "the long dry," and it wouldn't even occur to me to set the CC above 80.

But to each their own.

+1, Gunny; for less than $150 including shipping you can set a Throttlemeister for 100 mph on any Arizona road and just forget about it! Dudes, jes' sayin' and nuff said ese! https://www.pashnit.com/product/throttlemeister.html

py_fjr1300_12_L.jpg

Even our Zonie Cowgirls Debbie and Becky have Throttlemeisters on their FJR's! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Hombres!

ArizonaBikeWeekApril2010.jpg

Travelling across the moonscape of Nevada:
100mph would not have been too fast.

Dan
Geez Dan, I know people here say "if you don't have pictures it didn't happen" but even the pros in MotoGP keep their hands on the bars - most of the time - instead of taking dashboard pics at 90 MPH!

As for the "100mph would not have been too fast" part, as my good friend Isaac Newton was known to say (before he starting taking on heavy doses of mercury, mind you...) "at 100 MPH on an FJR on a straight road it feels like you're just crawling along... until you blow that front tire... or that junkyard dog dashes out from that gas station up ahead... or you go through that puddle of diesel spilled by the delivery truck pulling away from that aforementioned gas station; at that point things start to feel a whole hell of a lot faster!"

Just because the cruise is engaged, doesn't mean that you have to let go of the handlebars. What it does is take the constant pressure of the spring on the throttle hand. It allows you time to relax the grip.

Just because the cruise is engaged, doesn't mean that you have to let go of the handlebars. What it does is take the constant pressure of the spring on the throttle hand. It allows you time to relax the grip.
And if you're leading other bikes you don't have to constantly monitor your speed. Just set it and forget it and enjoy the scenery.

well i will see what you are all talking about, i just scored an audiovox cc and will be installing it tonight....then i will get to experience the cc excitement. As for living in a small state and such or in the northeast....yes unless on the highway even 80 would be pushing for a ticket but i understand what you guys from out west are saying...

Auburn: I realize that. I was commenting on Bergmen's dashboard pic. If you look at the reflection you'll see it wasn't taken with a helmet cam...

well i will see what you are all talking about, i just scored an audiovox cc and will be installing it tonight....then i will get to experience the cc excitement. As for living in a small state and such or in the northeast....yes unless on the highway even 80 would be pushing for a ticket but i understand what you guys from out west are saying...
+1, Gunny; you'll love a Audiovox Cruise Control, Smitty and Fairlaner installed it on "Miss Lucy Liu"-2003 FJR. Damn, do I ever miss my Miss Lucy Liu! JSNS!

DSCF0232.jpg