2013 Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
The issues of the 2013 cruise control speed limit have been discussed in the pinned thread about the 2013 models. I started this thread because the cruise control discussion, which I feel is a meaningful discussion, gets diffused in the sixty plus pages in the other thread.

NOTE: For those of you who couldn't care less about the 80 mph limit on the cruise control, PLEASE refrain from interjecting any negative comments about those of us who do care about this issue. Nothing that happens with this issue will affect any other part of the bike, and since you don't care one way or the other about the issue, nothing that evolves will affect you.

THE ISSUE:

We FJR owners have asked for a factory installed cruise control for many years. Now Yamaha has installed such a unit, and made it a standard feature of the 2013 bikes. However, the 2013 cruise control is limited to 80 mph in the US version, and limited to 132 mph (180 kph) in the European version. The legal speed limit inparts of the the US is 85 mph, and we FJR riders have been known to cruise along at speeds, sometimes, slightly in excess of the speed limit. So I, for one, consider the 80 mph cc limit a problem.

Although several Yamaha reps have given various of our members differing stories, the word that I got from Dennis McNeal, the head of Yamaha Motorcycles in the US, is that he wasn't aware of the problem until I notified him. He said that the decision on the cc was made in Japan. On a subsequent phone call with Sean Ryan, head of customer service, I was told that since I was the only potential customer voicing complaint, there probably wouldn't be a fix, but maybe there would be.

In the previous thread, I encouraged those of us who are interested in buying a 2013 FJR, or even a later model in the future, to write to Mr.McNeal and voice your concern about this arbitrary limit. If enough potential customers write to him, he might take action to resolve this situation.

His mailing info:

Dennis McNeal

Yamaha Motor Corporation

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Snail mail is more effective than email. When you write, please be respectful. We can't lose anything with this write-in effort, and we just might get Yamaha to make a change in this system.

Howard

Howard I think 180K is 112mph..... R
Nitpicker!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for taking the reins in getting this easily fixed problem corrected.

My snail mail letter went out last week:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dennis McNeal 12/06/2012

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Ave

Cypress, CA 90630

Dear Mr. McNeal,

I purchased my first Yamaha product back in 2007 after almost 30 years riding other brand motorcycles. My FJR13000A has been a great bike for the 68,000 miles I’ve put on it since then, but I know that I’ll want to replace it in the future. The redesigned 2013 FJR1300 looks like it will be the perfect replacement except for one easily remedied design fault.

The cruise control appears to be limited to speeds 80mph or below for models imported into the USA, while European models don’t have this limit. It’s common knowledge that police officers generally do not enforce speeding that doesn’t exceed 10mph over the posted limits and Texas has a freeway with an 85mph speed limit. The new FJR cannot even be set for legal speeds in the USA and this is unacceptable for us long distance riders.

I urge you to get this cruise control speed limit removed completely like the European models. This minor reprogram of the CPU with ensure that many riders such as myself can again consider the new FJR1300 as we shop for a new bike.

Sincerely,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that the latest info is that the European models do have a limit (contrary to what my letter states), but at least it's a reasonable limit.

FWIW ...... I was at my dealer yesterday and the sales manager introduced me to the Yamaha Rep who just happend to be at the store.

I asked him about this and his response was "I think you'll see them address this next year". He confirmed it would be a software update but didn't say anything more than that.

FWIW ...... I was at my dealer yesterday and the sales manager introduced me to the Yamaha Rep who just happend to be at the store.

I asked him about this and his response was "I think you'll see them address this next year". He confirmed it would be a software update but didn't say anything more than that.
Excellent! First recall lol

Let's hope so, but it wouldn't be the first time a rep was wrong. Write those letters!

Just got a call from Brian at Yamaha USA in response to my letter re; limitation on cruise control. Brian is very cool dude. Very knowledgeable and very concerned. This whole problem was caused by (surprise!) the goddam US Yamaha lawyers. He told me the US ECU is in fact different to the Euro model and that just getting the Euro code ain’t gonna fix the problem.

He wasn’t overly optimistic about the factory providing a US fix. BUT, he was going to forward the part of my letter alluding to potential buyers who wouldn’t pay to be insulted to Yamaha Corporate. There is some hope that if Yamaha understands that they’re losing sales over this issue they may cave a bit on the upper speed limit.

So, I would like to suggest to all and sundry a severe letter writing campaign. I’m talking snail mail here. Nobody gives a shit about e-mail. Talk to your family members, friends, enemies, your dog. Get letters to Yamaha USA something to the tune of “I’m considering the FJR, the Concourse, the 1200 RT, the Whatever. Not gonna buy a bike with an 80 MPH limit on the cruise control.” Hell, make up form letters for them if you have to.

We’ve got a chance here to fix this. So let’s push!

In the meantime, I’ve ordered one of those plastic throttle lock gizmos which shall henceforth be referred to as the “Fairlaner Cruise”.

Yamaha must have some lame lawyers. Why don't any other manufacturer's lawyers cause any problems when it comes to the Cruise Control?

I think we should add to the bottom of the letter: "Oh, and after telling us how to defeat the 80 mph cruise limit, please fire the candy-ass safety Nazi lawyer that came up with the limit."

Last edited by a moderator:
Letter sent!
Gunny, sent! Brother Harald: Since I'm a lazy and shifless Irishman I basically copied your letter. THANKS!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Dennis McNeal 12/14/2012

Yamaha Motorcycles

6555 Katella Ave

Cypress, CA 90630

Dear Mr. McNeal,

I purchased my first Yamaha products back in 1975, two RD400's: The Green one was my commuting bike and I set the Red one up as a track bike. My 2003 FJR13000 has been a great bike for the 65,000 miles I’ve put on it since then, but I just added to my motorcycling stable; I also own BMW's. Last Friday I purchased #61 from Town and Country Motorsports in my hometown of Chandler, AZ. The newly redesigned 2013 FJR1300 is the perfect replacement except for one easily remedied design fault.

The cruise control on my new moto is limited to speeds 80mph or below for models imported into the USA, while European models don’t have this limit. It’s common knowledge AZ Department of Public Safety police officers generally do not enforce speeding that doesn’t exceed 10mph over the posted limits: All Arizona freeways have 75mph speed limits. My new 2013 FJR cannot even be set for legal speeds in the USA and this is unacceptable for us long distance riders traveling through the open desert.

I urge you to get this cruise control speed limit removed completely like the European models. This minor reprogram of the CPU will ensure that many riders will again consider the new FJR1300 as they shop for a new bike. The 80 mph Cruise Control limit is now hurting FJR Sales! It is a solid true fact!

Sincerely yours,

Don Stanley

Chandler, AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha must have some lame lawyers. Why don't any other manufacturer's lawyers cause any problems when it comes to the Cruise Control?
Not sure about the newer models, but my old man's Goldwing has a cruise control limit of 78 MPH, which I think is supposed to be 125 kmh. But his is a 99 1500. I don't know if it has changed in the 1800 model.

Well I am new to this site and do not own a FJR but it is one I am considering. I'm looking for a new ride within the year and the FJR, S10 and Triumph Trophy are on the short list. Anyway my letter is in the mail as well. Even if I never own an FJR, on principle alone this needs to be dealt with.

From my 2011 BMW R1200RT Owners Manual:

The cruise-control system
can be used within a speed
range of 30 mph to 112 mph
(50 km/h to 180 km/h).

lol.gif