2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
odd how so many here whine about those who whine about wanting a 6th gear...

perhaps we ride differently...

or perhaps the sport bike we have/had had a 6th cog

or perhaps everything i leave the end of the on ramp, i am looking for one more gear...

and if i keep looking for it, seems that the revs/the sound/the vibration of the machine are telling me something that makes me want to shift one more time...

i don't need more CC's, or more horse power (not that i wouldn't take it) but the 1300 mill is proven to me by the group present here... i'll not spend more on that alone

to me, the dream bike would be the same mill, perhaps tweaked for some whatever

but give me a 6th gear

give me a more serious looking snout (like it or not, to many of us, how a bike looks is important and the FJR has perhaps one of the most boring headlight arrays i've ever seen... imho) this new one is a step forward

give me the heated grips/cruise/and power outlets and a smart dash that can tell me distance to empty, blah blah blah (this is a sport tour)

and i'd take a second look

or perhaps everything i leave the end of the on ramp, i am looking for one more gear...

and if i keep looking for it, seems that the revs/the sound/the vibration of the machine are telling me something that makes me want to shift one more time...

Reading what you wrote, I can tell that you don't really want a 6th gear. What you are saying is you want is a taller top gear, so that you don't feel like you need to shift "one more time" when you get on the highway. The 2013 FJR may actually have that if these "revised gear ratios" we are hearing about turns out to be true. Only time will tell.

Nobody wants to shift through an extra gear unnecessarily. You only need more gears if you have an engine with a relatively narrow power band, so that you can keep the engine rpms in the optimum rpm range for acceleration. That doesn't describe the FJR engine, which is tuned more for lower to mid rpm torque than for high rpm horsepower.

Of course some folks just want a 6th gear so they can tell their friends that they have one. ;)

I've been on the fence for quite some time about replacing my VFR. Without a BMW dealer or Triumph dealer nearby, my options are the C14 or FJR. Always have liked the look of the FJR better than the C14. But this new FJR .... I don't know if I'm liking the new lower fairing - doesn't seem to "fit" the look of the rest of the bike, and I worry my long legs will bump into it (can't ride an ST1100 for that reason). I'll have to wait until I see one in the flesh to decide what to do.

Most interesting thread and thoughts, I would expect no less.

I hear a lot of diehard FJR peeps clinging to their old(er) models, quite understandable as our bikes are still really pretty nice. The thought of shelling out a lot of our hard earned cash for a new bike has to be clearly justified (with all what has been talked about here). I see a lot of +/- on the '13 Feejer and starting thinking about this??? So here are some of my thoughts on my midnight cruise last night (it was quite unseasonably warm out, yes!)...

"man, this bike is still pretty dang sweet"

"does it get better than this?"

"love this feeling, holy ship this is freeqn awesome!"

So my "7-month old" FJR is quite satisfying but I think the price of the new '13 (as cited here) is pretty dang reasonable :) This actually now out weighs my disappointments (hey, reasonable in affordable!)... so yes, I like the Koolade especially with some Grey Goose thrown in.

odd how so many here whine about those who whine about wanting a 6th gear...

perhaps we ride differently...

or perhaps the sport bike we have/had had a 6th cog

i don't need more CC's, or more horse power (not that i wouldn't take it) but the 1300 mill is proven to me by the group present here... i'll not spend more on that alone

to me, the dream bike would be the same mill, perhaps tweaked for some whatever

but give me a 6th gear

give me a more serious looking snout (like it or not, to many of us, how a bike looks is important and the FJR has perhaps one of the most boring headlight arrays i've ever seen... imho) this new one is a step forward

give me the heated grips/cruise/and power outlets and a smart dash that can tell me distance to empty, blah blah blah (this is a sport tour)

and i'd take a second look
I started on sport bikes and have been on sport bikes until I moved to the FJR. With the exception of my DRZSM, they've all had 6 gears. The only time I find a need for a 6th gear is my ingraned gear counting I do when shifting always has me wanting to go to 6th. Of course, in my MINI, I'm always having to remind myself that there's a gear beyond 5th in it.

Would I welcome a 6th gear on the FJR. Sure, why wouldn't I? But is it a deal breaker? Nope. Like the above poster said, with a wide power band that the FJR has, you don't have to keep shifting to keep in in the band. If it's a higher top gear you want, well, that's different than wanting another gear. Hopefully this new bike will give us that.

Of course, my last bike had an aftermarket exhaust on it so when the FJR with stock exhaust hits the end of the ramp and I'm heading onto the highway, it almost feels from the sound of the bike that I'm running too high of a gear because I can't hear it screaming. :p

As for the amount of revisions and such...it's really hard to improve upon perfection. If it comes down to comparing numbers on paper or sprinkling the bike with trinkets in order to compete, well, then you really know how great the bike is. Really, it's all just about sharpening the edge, because any gen FJR does the job it was designed to do very well.

Reading what you wrote, I can tell that you don't really want a 6th gear. What you are saying is you want is a taller top gear, so that you don't feel like you need to shift "one more time" when you get on the highway. The 2013 FJR may actually have that if these "revised gear ratios" we are hearing about turns out to be true. Only time will tell.

Nobody wants to shift through an extra gear unnecessarily. You only need more gears if you have an engine with a relatively narrow power band, so that you can keep the engine rpms in the optimum rpm range for acceleration. That doesn't describe the FJR engine, which is tuned more for lower to mid rpm torque than for high rpm horsepower.

Of course some folks just want a 6th gear so they can tell their friends that they have one. ;)
good point... time will tell

and i don't care about 6 to impress anyone...

a bit lower cruising RPM would be nice... that's all. it would improve vibs (though few) and give a somewhat more relaxed feel to the machine at speed imho

so, a 5th gear w/ a taller ratio may be the trick.

my most recent rig was the VFR, and it was sublime in every gear... but only very rarely do i miss her...

the FJR is truly a great bike.

i failed to add that along with a serious snout a serious upgrade in lighting would have made a lot of sense here... i think they missed a great opportunity on that one

but that's just me...(and a few others as i have seen here)

I have some calls into my contacts at Cypress to see if they did anything with the alternator output.

With the new fly-by-wire system, Traction Control, etc, one might expect the bike to consume a pinch more electrical output then Gen II's did, then again, it's likely not to be too much as these systems really don't suck down power like aux lights, heated vests, etc.

Too, unless some newer technology is employed, the existing 590-watt alternator in the Gen II's is about at its design limits for an oil-cooled alternator. To see the stellar 700+ watt output ala ST1300 and the Beemers, they would have to look at an air-cooled alternator, and that's a serious design change from the current configuration.

Love what they have done to the bodywork/front end. If I wasn't so financially devastated in the wake of this bloodbath divorce, I would really, really, REALLY look hard at trying to procure one of these Gen III bikes.

However, it's not realistic. My decade old deer-strike FJR must soldier on for several years to come. :(

Methinks the sport touring segment is shrinking/adventure segment is growing and that major redesigns aren't economically feasible. Even so, in good times, 2500 annual sales in North America... So Yamaha put in a few features to bring it up to C14 level (cruise, digital, switchable fuel maps), as Honda apparently has decided to do nothing again with the ST13. Some minor tweaks to the suspension, but why not fully adjustable preload for the rear....... why not upgrade the rear lighting.... but Yammy is hoping you'll be happy enough with what they did. However, for me, nothing here to make me jump until my current one is worn out.

Gearing - Compared to the bikes I've ridden, the current gear ratio spacing is the best 5 speed. A six speed would more likely not change top gear much, but those in between... not really necessary IMHO, and would be total redesign. Current 5th gear puts you in a reasonable power band for economy and power at legal speeds, but maybe higher speed interstate riders want something taller (real riders don't do interstates do they?).

Suspension - We will find the stock rear suspension inadequate once again with the Soft/Hard adjust, and springing. They hinted at new springing up front perhaps... I have reservations about the electronic version, how much 3-way adjustment will we have or will there just be a 3 o4 4 default setups to choose from. Will the spring rates and damping choices/adjustments be adequate? So I pretty much don't care, likely going to replace the stock parts eventually, doesn't have to be electronic. I find that once you have a good aftermarket system dialed in, it's pretty much set it and leave it, or tweak the preload for 2-up.

Engine size - Various reviews I've read pretty much say the FJR can easily keep up with a Connie overall, and handles a bit better. For me the FJR is still the best all around value. Don't need a bigger engine really.

Anyhow, I'll reserve further judgment until the upcoming bike shows where one can touch, feel and ask those factory guys more questions.

However, it's not realistic. My decade old deer-strike FJR must soldier on for several years to come. :(
FJR's are good that way. I've got a bit of chubby for the 13, but my 04 at 100,000 miles and running like a top it's pretty hard to justify given that it's basically worthless at this point.

I did give my local FJR dealer (RL Equipment in Verner) a call and the dealer principal has replied stating that Yammie Canada hasn't set pricing yet. I'm assuming he means dealer cost because retail is clearly shown on the website. Makes me wonder how some of the Cdn dealers are already discounting it. I'm in no rush, bike season is in its twilight this year. If he comes up with a good price and will take my 04 in on trade (highly unlikely) I may have a Gen III by spring.

If not, I'm sure theirs many more happy miles left in my bike.

I've been on the fence for quite some time about replacing my VFR. Without a BMW dealer or Triumph dealer nearby, my options are the C14 or FJR. Always have liked the look of the FJR better than the C14. But this new FJR .... I don't know if I'm liking the new lower fairing - doesn't seem to "fit" the look of the rest of the bike, and I worry my long legs will bump into it (can't ride an ST1100 for that reason). I'll have to wait until I see one in the flesh to decide what to do.
In looking at a right side shot of a '12 & '13, I see what you mean for the side of the lower fairing and that it looks to come back farther on the '13, may be of concern for some. (Can't post the 2 pics here currently for comparison)

(real riders don't do interstates do they?).
Hey now! Those of us in land of boring roads use the Interstates to get to the interesting roads as fast as possible! And thankfully they are raising the speed limit on those interstates to help us get there a little quicker! :lol:

In looking at a right side shot of a '12 & '13, I see what you mean for the side of the lower fairing and that it looks to come back farther on the '13, may be of concern for some. (Can't post the 2 pics here currently for comparison)

here ya go

2013vs2012fjrfairing.jpg

What is the point of LED running lights incorporated into the headlight shell . . . .
For side marker visibility at night.
I seriously doubt that because LED lights tend to be very directional. Which makes me wonder why they moved the turn signal running lights to the leading edge of the fairing. Adding a side marker/turn signal light to the fairing back past the side vent might be a nice idea.

img.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sort of liking it. But have an issue with what it looks like and feels to me is that they started modifying the bike for the new design - started at the front and then ran out of time and did not do the back of the bike. It just feels weird to me. Its a visual tripowowski - old back, new front, half-n-half bike to me. :( :p

cheers

I...started at the front and then ran out of time and did not do the back of the bike...new front, half-n-half bike...
Notice that they don't show da Touring Trunk so the passenger has to assume the "I love you" pillion position. I think Yamaha admits that the wart on the ass trunk isn't so cool looking.

No, no, no...we NEED the close ratio 6 speed cause it's soooo much easier to keep the rear tire smoking while bangin' through the gears drifting around those sweepers! :p

Watching for the release and 2 days off the site and 15ppgs here I find it's market release.

Looks jazzy, with some fresh swagg and a definite regrip back into the market leader it's always been.

I am sure most can't wait till the comoparo's come and then someone on the forum starts

posting their ride comparo analysis. Thanks to all who brought this wonderful news and picture/video links.

I already have my laptop background set with a nice pic.

That dash really looks nice, would love to see it in some night riding. Personally I will hold on to the 08' and plot my

buy of a 2014 in summer of 2015...then again I have to fight the itch of being the first owner of a new MC.

Congrats FJR owners and Yamaha; there is a newe fire in the belly of FJR ownership again.