2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone asked for a quote yet? I wonder how much it goes...
D&H has them for $14,299 and Fairlaner has one on order for *slightly* more. I figure a 10%ish discount is a decent deal for both the buyer and dealer. Everybody is due a *fair* profit to stay in business...shop wisely. I always figure pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered! ;)

--G

Anyone noticed the change to the cam-chain cover? New cover is more angular, and there's no inspection hole.

Presumably to make it prettier for the re-designed fairing.

Any repercussions with maintenance?

2010 (sorry for poor angle):

(Click on image for larger view)

2013 (from publicity photo):

RH_covers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone noticed the change to the cam-chain cover? New cover is more angular, and there's no inspection hole.

Presumably to make it prettier for the re-designed fairing.

Any repercussions with maintenance?

Not in my opinion. I've never found any use for that inspection hole.

Easy enough to turn the engine over using the rear wheel and gearbox, and if I need to know valve timing position, like when doing a valve check, it's pretty intuitive just looking at the cams.

Anyone noticed the change to the cam-chain cover?
The stator cover is also completely brand new.

The only downside is that previous aftermarket carbon fiber stator covers will likely no longer fit.

Speculation on my part... but the triangular "wedges" on the 2013 stator cover look fairly pronounced to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the stator output for the 2013 published somewhere?
I haven't found it, and my contacts into Cypress seem to be dragging their feet about getting this info... probably because they don't have it yet. That's speculation.

I am hoping they upped the alternator output at *least* enough to cover the new electrical loads. I can't imagine that the new fly-by-wire throttle system is going to consume all that much electrical power... and I don't really know how much power the new cruise control system will consume.

But these systems will consume *some* power, that's clear enough. So if Yamaha did nothing with the existing 590-watt oil-cooled alternator, this means that the Gen III bike will have a net loss of available power to run your electrical goodies, over the Gen II bikes. :huh:

Which, again, makes me think (erm, hope) that they upped the output a little bit. Thing is... I am hard-pressed to think they are going to get a noteworthy increase in electrical output without some configuration trickery, or a significant alternator redesign.

We should know before too long..... :unsure:

Well, maybe they integrated the Tenere alternator into the FJR and that could explain the different stator cover. Doesn't the Tenere have something like 900 Watts output?

Yamaha has to be aware that their sport tourer riders frequently push the limits of the electrical system when running extra lighting and heated gear.

Fingers crossed....

I think that having a sig. higher stator output alone would push more than a few previous FJR owners into purchasing a brand new Gen 3 FJR.

So who has pulled the trigger and bought a new '13??

My understanding is dealers need to have their new bike orders in on Oct.12th.

Well, maybe they integrated the Tenere alternator into the FJR and that could explain the different stator cover. Doesn't the Tenere have something like 900 Watts output?
If it does then my S10 service manual is wrong.....looks like the Tenere's output is about 600 Watts (14V, 42.9A@5000 rpms).

I like the looks, but no enough over my '04 to replace her. I wish Yami would follow BMW with things like cruise being an option. I see a lot of folks here lean more towards the touring side (C14, BMW1600, etc) NOT that there's anything wrong with that! I prefer to lean towards the sport side. If I tossed my Yami down the road today, I would look seriously at a BMW1300. And I love Yami's, have had at least one in my garage since 1974. I would rather see it lighter than extras (except the alternator output, my wife and I like our electric gear!) Can't wait to see this bike in person though, and hear the input from everyone here that gets one.

I'm sure thinking hard about ordering one. I like the Gen III a bunch. The electronic cruise control is a must out here in the land of wide open spaces, and it's about time as far as I'm concerned. I don't even mind the color (although I would prefer black)...and it will be interesting to see how the new windshield and fairing compare to the Gen IIs. I can hardly wait to ride one.