2013 FJR - Product announced!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was reading a recent online evaluation of the FJR against the Connie and Honda's ST, and they said, "The last time we had an FJR in a comparison test, our 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout, we complained about its ground-clearance issues when ridden aggressively. But the 2013 edition, with updated spring and damping rates in the suspension, has improved the amount of available lean angle before pegs begin to touch and feels nicely buttoned down.

How 'bout that?

Gary

darksider #44

Was reading a recent online evaluation of the FJR against the Connie and Honda's ST, and they said, "The last time we had an FJR in a comparison test, our 2009 Sport-Touring Shootout, we complained about its ground-clearance issues when ridden aggressively. But the 2013 edition, with updated spring and damping rates in the suspension, has improved the amount of available lean angle before pegs begin to touch and feels nicely buttoned down.

How 'bout that?

Gary

darksider #44

I'm not so sure about that having ridden an '09 and '13 back to back recently. More testing needed to confirm however.

How 'bout that?

Gary

darksider #44

I'm not so sure about that having ridden an '09 and '13 back to back recently. More testing needed to confirm however.
I will/do agree with this conclusion. Although I only have logged ~300m in (AR) twisties on my new feej, so far.

so far, the '13 feels like it has more power than the '08 (in sport mode)...may be the 3 or so additional hp and slighty more torque, or the weight reduction, but it feels quicker. Its all good!
There is a test in this month's Motorcycle Consumer. They dyno tested a 2013 and found it had 8 more horsepower than the GenII they had tested earlier.

How 'bout that?

Gary

darksider #44

I'm skeptical as well, considering we have no way of knowing how differently the suspensions were adjusted on two bikes from two reviews four years apart.

How 'bout that?

Gary

darksider #44

I'm skeptical as well, considering we have no way of knowing how differently the suspensions were adjusted on two bikes from two reviews four years apart.
Well I can tell you, my first impession ( after only~750m) is a positive one. I had them all, one Gen I, three Gen II's and now the Gen III, also had the aftermarket suspension (AK20 front and a Penske rear) on the Gen II after the stock suspenders got weak, at about 18-20K miles. I suspect that the Gen III suspension will be ok for about the same milage, but for now I'm liking it. Now that's just my .02c and I'm sticking to it....
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a test in this month's Motorcycle Consumer. They dyno tested a 2013 and found it had 8 more horsepower than the GenII they had tested earlier.
Yeah, well MCN also says the '13 weighs 669 lbs wet, and the 2010 662 lbs wet. So where is Yamaha's claimed weight reduction for 2013. Is it MCN's scale that is off? Or smoke and mirrors marketing speak from Yamaha?

I wonder how accurate and repeatable MCN's dyno results are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, well MCN also say the '13 weighs 669 lbs wet, and the 2010 662 lbs wet. So where is Yamaha's claimed weight reduction for 2013. Is it MCN's scale that is off? Or smoke and mirrors marketing speak from Yamaha?

I wonder how accurate and repeatable MCN's dyno results are?
Well, if they are using a water brake dyno, it could be from someone flushing the crapper---instant HP gain
punk.gif

How many more hairs are we going to split before we figure out that the POS gen2 and 3s are just POS ghen 2s and ghen 3s?

yer gay if you can read this

"POS" is what I'd call the lawyer(s) at Yamaha who insists on limiting CC on their US bikes to 80mph.

I can only hope that someone with a lot of time on their hands has figured out a hack by the time I'm ready to upgrade (or downgrade, if you believe Odot). Wait... is the Gen 3 more or less of a POS than the Gen 2? Or is it one of those "same shit different smell" situations?

Or would it be different shit same smell?

Will my Sargeant seats, Staintune mufflers, and rear luggage rack interchange to the new bike? Currently on an 08. Cruise control sounds good and standard heated grips.

well guys good but too little too late.

I've upped my suspension, added a vario screen, power commander, had a handmade seat installed, corben-level, staintune cans, throttlemeister... on an 07 frame. so now yamaha have caught up to lil ole me, but... meanwhile honda have the new 1200 dual clutch, beemers are 6 cylinders and all that moves, and now the brits have the new trophy with all you could want and more. and they all have 6th-bloody-gear!!!!

sure tests the loyalty... reckon i'll be looking hard at my next buy..

cheers from sydney

and now the brits have the new trophy with all you could want and more. and they all have 6th-bloody-gear!!!!
Easy there big fella! The Triumph weighs about 50 lbs more than an FJR, has considerably less horsepower and torque and turns more rpm in 6th gear at a given speed than an FJR does in 5th gear.

and now the brits have the new trophy with all you could want and more. and they all have 6th-bloody-gear!!!!
Easy there big fella! The Triumph weighs about 50 lbs more than an FJR, has considerably less horsepower and torque and turns more rpm in 6th gear at a given speed than an FJR does in 5th gear.
That's how they keep that weak-sauce triple closer to the power band.

Has any 2013 owner hooked up an aux tank on his bike?

I put one on my Gen II, but the folks that I bought my bulkhead fittings from have closed up shop. Where are you getting the fitting for this aux tank installation?

Howard

Has any 2013 owner hooked up an aux tank on his bike?
I put one on my Gen II, but the folks that I bought my bulkhead fittings from have closed up shop. Where are you getting the fitting for this aux tank installation?

Howard

Howard. A more appropriate place for this question would be in the Iron Butt or Technical sections of the forum. It will just get lost in this thread and is not appropriate for this thread. It's not a Gen III issue.