2013 Saddlebags just delivered won't open

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K/W Motoman

Reaction score
O.k. Just got my saddlebags from Yamaha and want to install the locks but the handle where the locks are to be installed will not release / pull-up. What stupid thing am I missing. I've poked and prodded with no luck.

I guess I'm more surprised the dealer didn't do all the necessary assembly--let one they weren't all configured when you got the bike initially.

That said, I think they are a little tight when new and would try the rock back and forth trick...especially on the part that slides down when you open.

I'm still waiting for mine. I know the dealer gave me 3 locks when I took delivery of the bike and said they would do the lock install on the bags when they came in (open with the ignition key). I would be tempted to get the dealer to get them set up for you.

This may be silly, but are the carrying handles folded flat?
Why would that matter? I know that it doesn't on mine...
Next time I post something like this I will preface it with an introductory phrase like, "This may be silly..." ;)

I'm sure your bags that are working just fine can move the handle and cover latch tab independently. What will it cost the OP to just check and see if his not working bags may be jammed?

If nothing obvious turns up the OP may want to have the dealer install the locks (or break the side case on his dime). You want to be sure that the dealer uses locktite on the hardware.

This may be silly, but are the carrying handles folded flat?
Why would that matter? I know that it doesn't on mine...
Next time I post something like this I will preface it with an introductory phrase like, "This may be silly..."
wink.png

I'm sure your bags that are working just fine can move the handle and cover latch tab independently. What will it cost the OP to just check and see if his not working bags may be jammed?

If nothing obvious turns up the OP may want to have the dealer install the locks (or break the side case on his dime). You want to be sure that the dealer uses locktite on the hardware.

No problem, I was just pointing out where the silly part was.
bleh.gif

The two lift handles, although locked by the same mechanism (after the lock has actually been installed) operate essentially completely separate mechanisms. The flat handle that he is trying to lift, which is where the lock cylinder goes, only operates the catches to secure the bag lid around its perimeter. The bag handle that you referenced only operates that flat slide retainer thingee on the back of the bag, that Iggy also referred to, which (is supposed to) hold the bag onto the bike.

So, why won't the flat handle lift without a lock mechanism in it? Beats me. Must be stuck like Iggy supposed. Maybe try pushing in on the painted outer lid to relieve some of the rubber gasket's pressure first?

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer experience when I purchased is that you're better off doing it yourself, along with some good advice from this place.

I'm still waiting on my bags too. The dealer said typically they come a few weeks after the bike. All the dealers are supposed to take delivery of them this week in Canada so Yamaha says?? We'll see I hope they come soon. The three locks were under the seat.

I'm still waiting on my bags too. The dealer said typically they come a few weeks after the bike. All the dealers are supposed to take delivery of them this week in Canada so Yamaha says?? We'll see I hope they come soon. The three locks were under the seat.
I picked up my Cdn. 2013 on March 30 with bags (and locks installed and working fine).
search.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine were done when I picked up the bike as well. I did get the oem topcase, bracket etc and it wasn't too difficult after translating the "Engrish" instructions. The latches are tight especially when I first got mine, I wonder if a little grease or wd might be in order?

2013's coming without bags installed?
Apparantly there is a delay and the bags have been shipping after the bike. They are made in a different factory than the bike. The bike comes with 3 locks that work with the ignition key under the seat. The bags come without locks and 2 of these need to be installed. I think I will let my dealer do it when the bags arrive. It's been 8 weeks since I ordered my 2013, bike arrived after 6 weeks and still waiting for the bags.

I'm in the US, the trucking company lost my bags. I picked up my '13 sans bags on 3/5. The replacement bags came in a few weeks later.

The bags on my '13 are a little stiff but I can open them. Taking them off for the first service was the scary part. They're very tight on the bag mounts.