2014 Buzzy Bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest that when the bike gets past the 600 mile check you have the throttle bodies sync'd while it is running at 3500 RPM in neutral. The air bypass screws need to be closed off when this adjustment is made. Once the throttle plates are adjusted to a dead even flow at that RPM then the air bypass screws can be adjusted at idle. The bike will be a lot smoother at the speeds you intend to run at. Our very own Fred W came up with that procedure. Search it out.
Brodie

:cool:
+1 on the throttle bodies. This is exactly what I suggested earlier in this thread. You've checked every thing else. Have it checked.

Gary

darksider #44

PS: to those of you who say that all large inline 4's are "vibratie," have you ever ridden a BMW K1200LT? It is indeed an inline 4. It is seriously S-M-O-O-T-H, and that is not a matter of just this rider's opinion. Go ride one and you'll never make that statement again.

PS: to those of you who say that all large inline 4's are "vibratie," have you ever ridden a BMW K1200LT? It is indeed an inline 4. It is seriously S-M-O-O-T-H, and that is not a matter of just this rider's opinion. Go ride one and you'll never make that statement again.
Japanese in-line 4's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree +1!I rode my friend's BMW K 1200LT,i don't like this bike,but,but...As you said,this engine is really SMOOTH like a silk!!.....No vibrations in any rpm range..!!!You can't feel if the engine works or not..!!!The vibrations come from the engine as we know,i believe that all the fjr have those vibrations.I rode five fjr until now,all they have the same vibrations.I strongly believe that the problem become from a bad design in the two balancers in the engine,or a bad design in the crankshaft..As a bad design in the clutch housing...(dry clutch plates).We must live with those vibrations..!And with the dry clutch plates...

Really i don't know why the mama Yamaha she didn't improve those problems....I am pretty sure that she knows about these problems...Also i am pretty sure that she can make a really smooth engine..!!!

It's all tolerance and what you pickup on.

I never once had it in my head about the hi-buzz until I rode the 'other brand' bike. Then upon re-riding my FJR I immediately felt this feeling in which I could never really get it back out of my head. All of a sudden my hands were getting a slight numb feeling on longer rides, the slight micro vibration thing was now in my head. Yes, some say it's drinking Kool-aid while realist know it as otherwise
wink.png

So, hop on your Feejer, in a few _________ miles, you'll think it's all normal and all will be well in Mama land
smile.png

Since we're talking about vibrations and other Japanese inline 4's; previously I owned two Honda Nighthawks. Unlike the FJR the motor was not really mounted directly to the frame, they both had what I would call "rubber" mounting bushings at the motor mounts. Neither bike suffered from the 'buzziness' that seems to get to a lot of us on the FJR. Is there a good reason why Yamaha, and maybe others, and for the FJR in particular mount directly to the frame with no bushings? It seems the integration of some polyurethane bushings, or some other similar material, would make a huge difference in isolating that vibration.

Bhendron,

Sure there's a reason. Cause very few people care, the moto-rags never mention it, and it costs $$ to fix it. You remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" There ya go. I was thinking about this whole discussion on my way to school this morning. I cranked the Yammie up to 80 on a lonely road out in the hay fields. Vibration was really minimal and of no concern at all to me. My 05 Gen 1 runs plenty smooth enough for me. I've never ridden any body else's FJR so I can't compare, but it's no problemo for me.

Gary

darksider #44

Bhendron,Sure there's a reason. Cause very few people care, the moto-rags never mention it, and it costs $$ to fix it. You remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" There ya go. I was thinking about this whole discussion on my way to school this morning. I cranked the Yammie up to 80 on a lonely road out in the hay fields. Vibration was really minimal and of no concern at all to me. My 05 Gen 1 runs plenty smooth enough for me. I've never ridden any body else's FJR so I can't compare, but it's no problemo for me.

Gary

darksider #44
You may be right, but this and the no 6th gear seem to be the most common complaints among FJR owners.

Bhendron,Sure there's a reason. Cause very few people care, the moto-rags never mention it, and it costs $$ to fix it. You remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" There ya go. I was thinking about this whole discussion on my way to school this morning. I cranked the Yammie up to 80 on a lonely road out in the hay fields. Vibration was really minimal and of no concern at all to me. My 05 Gen 1 runs plenty smooth enough for me. I've never ridden any body else's FJR so I can't compare, but it's no problemo for me.

Gary

darksider #44
You may be right, but this and the no 6th gear seem to be the most common complaints among FJR owners.
With second the dry clutch plates...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

... Is there a good reason why Yamaha, and maybe others, and for the FJR in particular mount directly to the frame with no bushings? ...
Yes, the engine is used as part of the frame structure. If rubber mounted, the frame would need to be stronger and so make the bike heavier.

Another "complaint".

I'm struggling to understand why anyone has an FJR, there's obviously far too much wrong with it.

Doesn't TBS affect engine vibes? Haven't I heard guys sayin' that synching the TBs smoothed things out? Any chance that throttle body synch may be out on a new machine?
Gary

darksider #44
I found that doing the unauthorized TBS and balancing @ 4000RPM in 5th gear with a slight load (light pressure on rear brake to simulate road loading) that it reduced the buzz quite a bit. My TB's were not off very far at an idle but at 4k one of the cylinders was quite a bit off. Two other bikes done this way showed noticeable improvement as well, including a certain yellow FJR.

Gary

darksider #44
You might wanna add the Mirrors

Bhendron,
Sure there's a reason. Cause very few people care, the moto-rags never mention it, and it costs $$ to fix it. You remember the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" There ya go. I was thinking about this whole discussion on my way to school this morning. I cranked the Yammie up to 80 on a lonely road out in the hay fields. Vibration was really minimal and of no concern at all to me. My 05 Gen 1 runs plenty smooth enough for me. I've never ridden any body else's FJR so I can't compare, but it's no problemo for me.

Gary

darksider #44
You might wanna add the Mirrors
There is an easy and not expensive solution..
smile.png
Or FZ1 mirrors,but for all the other....i am not sure..
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

phpSVqAyh_zps588d306e.jpg

Here we go again:

Mommie Yammie, I want a 6th gear, just like all the other kids.

Hmmm... and then somebody's gonna come out with a 7th gear, and just 6 won't be enough any more.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. 6th gear=lower rpms=slower roll-on acceleration. I assume we all know this equation. There's always a trade off. There ain't no free lunch fellers. Ya want a 6th speed, which adds complexity, weight, extra shifting required and poorer acceleration? Really? Why? So you can lower the cruising RPM's? Again why? When I'm cruising along at 60 or 70, one of the things I've ALWAYS appreciated about my FJR is the instantaneous locomotive acceleration it has in 5th gear... by just twisting the throttle. No downshifting, no fuss, no muss. You can't have this cake and eat it too. You can't have the same level of roll on acceleration with no downshifting required if you drink the 6th gear koolaid. I have no interest in changing something that works so well just like it is, especially when the change makes it something less. I hate shifting as it is, let alone adding another gear? Good grief. Let's give this idea a rest OK?

Sorry, DHS1981 if I got a little "highjackie" here, but this just needed to get said.

Gary

darksider #44

We must be careful,the mama Yamaha spy the forums and reads what we write..
smile.png
Don't be surprised if you see the 15 model with a 6th gear..!
smile.png
Perhaps not like to many of us...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
fool.gif
I can live with the 5th gear,but these light vibrations is a little nerve racking....
confusedsmiley.png

Don't be surprised if you see the 15 model with a 6th gear..! I can live with the 5th gear,but these light vibrations is a little nerve racking....
confusedsmiley.png
I would be very surprised if they went to a 6-speed, highly doubt that they would change. 5 is fine for me.

Don't be surprised if you see the 15 model with a 6th gear..! I can live with the 5th gear,but these light vibrations is a little nerve racking....
confusedsmiley.png
I would be very surprised if they went to a 6-speed, highly doubt that they would change. 5 is fine for me.
''5 is fine for me.''

Also for me,even and for my Gen 1
smile.png

Also a trick for less vibrations is to install the footpeg rubbers from the 13&14 model.Yamaha did a trick there and she makes different rubbers from the previous models,to absorb some vibrations..

Took off the sliders; put the stock bolts back in and torqued to 35, left side first. Will ride and compare. Looking into heavier bar ends. Also, has anyone had recent experience with the Vibanator bar ends? I've read a lot about them on the forums, but nothing really recent. Some people swear by them.
I have the Vibranator bar ends. To me, they seem about the equivalent of heavy bar ends in reducing vibes.

I appreciate everyone who has waded in on my original post and all the helpful comments. To close the loop thus far, I reinstalled the stock engine bolts that were removed when I put my frame sliders on and torqued them properly. The test ride was about the same as before, but the vibes may have been slightly less than with the sliders in place. I reinstalled the sliders, and installed heavy bar end weights. The result was that the vibrations actually seemed worse at speed -- between 75 and 80 mph. My previous bike was a Suzuki GSX1250 FA, which was a little buzzy, but not nearly as bad as the FJR. The FJR is rock solid and pretty quiet from 60 - 70 mph, but at about 75 (around 4,000 - 4,200 rpm) to 80 it has really pronounced vibrations in the bars. I can also feel it in the seat a bit, too. Problem is that's the range where I do most my highway riding. I've ordered a set of Vibranator bar ends, which work a little different than regular weighted bar ends, and will try them but I'm not holding out much hope for a dramatic change. I'll ask the dealer to check the front tire balance at the 600 mile service which I will be doing soon, but if that doesn't help I may just have to live with the vibes. What a shame, as that would take a potentially great bike down to a merely good bike in my opinion. Too bad the buzziness is right in the middle of the common highway riding rev range. I've heard some people comment that HeliBars solves much of the vibration issue -- has anyone tried those and can you comment on the effect on the bar vibrations?
My previous bike (a Bandit 1250) was essentially the same as yours and I also never had bothersome vibes on that bike. I tried all the same things you listed plus a throttle body sync and I was still not satisfied. Then, I noticed when riding if I tucked my elbows in, the vibration didn't bother me. My theory is that somehow a pinched nerve in my elbow was making me more sensitive to the vibes. I installed an MV Mottorad riser and adjusted my handbars to move my elbows inward and I haven't been bothered by the vibes since.

It's probably a long shot that you have the same nerve issues as me, but you might want to try changing where your elbows are when you're riding to see if it helps.

I agree, Cheesy Rider, that arm position might have something to do with the vibes bothering me, but the vibes are there nonetheless. I do have the MV riser plate, and will install this weekend. That might help. I like this bike A LOT, but would absolutely love it if it were less buzzy. I have some Vibranator bar ends but I haven't put them in yet because I'm unsure whether they will interfere with the cruise control?ride-by-wire throttle on the Gen III. Has anyone put Vibranators on a Gen III? In any event, I can certainly live with the vibes, but I'm not ready to give up on "dialing in" the perfect riding experience on the FJR.