Tall Rider & Wind Buffeting? - 2nd Gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 6’-10” I may be THE tallest FJR rider on the entire planet… 😉LOL!
Cars, airplanes, riding gear can be a challenge… and that includes motorcycles.
My ’05 FJR has the N20301 Vstream (20.5” tall) plus an MRA spoiler/deflector thing at the top.
This works well for me and I’m looking just over the top at freeway speeds for reasonable noise and buffeting levels.
My shield goes up and down a lot during rides…. Down for slow speeds (esp if warm) and up for higher speeds.
Regards,
Mr. BR

My ’05 FJR has the N20301 Vstream (20.5” tall) plus an MRA spoiler/deflector thing at the top.
This works well for me and I’m looking just over the top at freeway speeds for reasonable noise and buffeting levels.
My shield goes up and down a lot during rides…. Down for slow speeds (esp if warm) and up for higher speeds.
Regards,
Mr. BR
could you send me a picture? would like to test a deflector ...

could you send me a picture? would like to test a deflector ...
The MRA stuff is nice, but spendy. If you are considering it, you might want to try an inexpensive knockoff from eBay or AliExpress first. Not saying don't get the MRA, just that you can evaluate that type of solution for a fraction of the cost. The knockoffs are cheaply made but functional.

Regards,
Mr. BR
I get it. I don't know what helmet you use, but buying the quietest available helps as well. Those laminar lips do work as I'm sure you know too.

The MRA stuff is nice, but spendy. If you are considering it, you might want to try an inexpensive knockoff from eBay or AliExpress first. Not saying don't get the MRA, just that you can evaluate that type of solution for a fraction of the cost. The knockoffs are cheaply made but functional.
willing to pay a bit more for a decent part then some knockoff, but that is what i think. AliExpress can ... :D

willing to pay a bit more for a decent part then some knockoff, but that is what i think. AliExpress can ... :D
I agree that the MRA stuff is well made but I would want to test the concept with one that is less than a fifth of the cost before making the investment.

Here are some pictures as requested above.... btw, my helmet is an Arai Signet full face... ;-)
The MRA unit is nice but was I'm sure $100+ if I recall.. (it has been years since purchase). The second picture is the Amazon cheapo clamp-on unit that I put on my Super Tenere (less than $30). Both work well for me and my riding... which honestly, is not a lot of extended freeway riding these days.
Note: the MRA is about 12" wide at the top edge and the Amazon unit is about 11" and both are about 5" tall.
Regards,
Mr. BR
FJR MRA spoiler.jpgSuper Ten cheapo spoiler.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures as requested above.... btw, my helmet is an Arai Signet full face... ;-)
The MRA unit is nice but was I'm sure $100+ if I recall.. (it has been years since purchase). The second picture is the Amazon cheapo clamp-on unit that I put on my Super Tenere (less than $30). Both work well for me and my riding... which honestly, is not a lot of extended freeway riding these days.
Note: the MRA is about 12" wide at the top edge and the Amazon unit is about 11" and both are about 5" tall.
Regards,
Mr. BR
View attachment 7113View attachment 7114
thanks, will try to put my hands on one to test, but for the moment first make my bike ride again, wouldn't start yesterday evening after 2 week rest

Recently learned that buffeting is a huge misconception. Everyone thinks it happens from the front. But it actually happens in the dead space behind your head. So it's been realized that just like the co-efficient drag of a vehicle, where the air tumbles over the rear design of the vehicle, creating a vacuum....essentially pulling the vehicle backwards. With helmets, same concept...except that instead of vacuum, the tumbling air gets pushed up inside the back of the helmet giving you that air noise. Some newer helmets that are on the more quieter side are actually making changes to the padding to try and eliminate the airs ability to enter. So helmet design and fit becomes more important apparently. I don't know all the details...so will leave you to research on your own. But what I took from it is that, although windscreens obviously still play a part, they are not the whole solution.