2015 or 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echoing Skooter, for whatever reason '06 and up develop a soft rear brake. I generally bleed the rear circuit on my '15 twice a year to keep a firm pedal. Normally it's the front caliper that has a few air bubbles.

IF this Covid crap ever disappears, keep an eye on the PNW specific section for information on our most excellent PNW Tech Day. There's a couple older threads to peak your interest. Great way to meet local inmates, bench race and get some minor maintenance done too! Normally scheduled in Spring / Fall, 20-40 FJRs show up for a fun day.

~G

Echoing Skooter, for whatever reason '06 and up develop a soft rear brake. I generally bleed the rear circuit on my '15 twice a year to keep a firm pedal. Normally it's the front caliper that has a few air bubbles.

IF this Covid crap ever disappears, keep an eye on the PNW specific section for information on our most excellent PNW Tech Day. There's a couple older threads to peak your interest. Great way to meet local inmates, bench race and get some minor maintenance done too! Normally scheduled in Spring / Fall, 20-40 FJRs show up for a fun day.

~G
I saw that. Sounds like a fun day. I will definitely keep an eye out for updates.

The problem is I bought the bike now but can't ride much. The good is I have all winter to add farkle.

And unfortunately, you've just walked into a recall for a problematic transmission 2nd gear. There are lots of us in this boat unfortunately. Welcome aboard.

I gotta throw into this thread a suggestion shown to us by Panman whereas you slow roll onto gravel and fast squeeze front brake, then do it again on back brake pedal thereby  forcing the linked system to flush/fix/reset itself. A fast fix technique when on the road is how I saw and heard it. I’ve done so a couple of times to keep it ready.  

And unfortunately, you've just walked into a recall for a problematic transmission 2nd gear. There are lots of us in this boat unfortunately. Welcome aboard.
Thought the recall was outside the US. Are all 6 speeds affected?

If so how do I find out if mine is?

Talked with Yamaha today, told them I am new owner of 2016. Asked if any recalls based on my VIN. Only recall was for ECU and it had been replaced. Looking into Y.E.S., quoted 1yr 520.00 or 2yr 680.00. Also getting quotes from other after market warranty companies.

Unless they sold you the 2016 to you new in the last year, you can't get a factory Y.E.S. warranty.

Also, you should consider updating your profile to show you now have an FJR now....and congrats!

Unless they sold you the 2016 to you new in the last year, you can't get a factory Y.E.S. warranty.

Also, you should consider updating your profile to show you now have an FJR now....and congrats!
I just talked to Yamaha today. Told them I bought the bike used from a dealer a month ago. They told me I could purchase the warranty and quoted prices I listed in previous post. I would need to purchase it through the dealer I bought it from. 

I just talked to Yamaha today. Told them I bought the bike used from a dealer a month ago. They told me I could purchase the warranty and quoted prices I listed in previous post.
Maybe they've changed their terms, but for years Yamaha wouldn't sell Y.E.S. once the factory warranty was up and we've also read on the forum about dealers selling what wasn't actually Yamaha Y.E.S. warranties.  Good luck..and cool on change your profile to show your new-to-you ES. :)

It is external to the U.S. and details pinned in this area a couple of weeks ago.  Let's keep this thread about your titled question of 2015 or 2016 please.
The OP asked "Any issues for either year I should look for?" The recall is absolutely material to anyone's decision choosing between a 2015 and a 2016. My post wherein I replied "so far" prior to the U.S. announcement seems to have been purged from this thread. And now my comment has been proven out and the recall in the U.S. has materialized. At this point, I would pay more for a 2015 than a 2016 all else being equal.