• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2015 Wheel Balancer offer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
After I sold out of wheel balancers last year several follks requested I left them know when I'd make more balancers.

Balancer info here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159171-wheel-balancers-for-sale/?hl=balancer

For this year I'm thinking I'll do a group buy, which really means, I'll make them all in one lot and ship at the same time which saves me a lot of trips to the local USPS.

I will take orders until end of February and ship by end of March. I need to get a minimum order of 15 (fifteen) units to keep pricing as follows:

(If I get 15 before 2/28, of course I'll get started earlier)

Price $88,

Shipping, USA: $8.00 east of Chicago, $10 west of Chicago & east of Denver; $12 west of Denver. Canada: $16

PM me if you want one, I'll start a list.

I won't ask for payment until I have 15 takers, then once I have commitments, I'll get busy.

I recently received one of these balancers and it is a really nice piece of work with some advantages over a Parnes balancer. If someone is looking for a balancer, this is the time to get in on a quality tool.

FJReadyI've been using my buddy's wheel balancer the last couple years and always felt it had a couple short comings: the two little bearings used on each end of the main shaft seemed to have a little too much friction. I think the outer races perhaps rub on the angle iron they were bolted to. I also thought that the thumb screw used on those cones didn't always give a reliable clamp onto the shaft. It was hard to be sure the m/c wheel bearings were in solid contact with the balancer cones.

So I'd been thinking about building a different balancer of similar function but with a couple improvements. Here it is:

IMG_3404.jpg

The construction is pretty simple. The shaft is hardened and ground carbon steel. The collars and bearings are off the shelf commercial grade stuff. The only custom items are the two aluminum cones that a friend made for me in his shop.

The whole thing works better than I anticipated. Hard to detect any noticeable friction in this set up.

The black collars clamp very nicely on the shaft without a chance of marring the surface. The aluminum cones have .001" clearance on the shaft and slide easily but don't wiggle around at all. The little compression spring you see keeps the cones firmly planted in the wheel bearing. Very slick, I must say. (Slicker than Bust's sheep on a Saturday night!)

Here it is in the wheel:

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

Going around:

IMG_3403.jpg

Non-marring shaft collar:

IMG_3405.jpg

As far as sensitivity of the balancer goes all I can say is that I could easily detect the addition of a 1 gram weight taped to the wheel. I think this set up is so sensitive that I probably fussed too much over the degree of goodness required. I was trimming the tape on weights with side cutters in BB sized pieces to fine tune the balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
KJ
I did a poor job of accounting for all my cost when I did last years pricing. Learning from my mistakes... I won't charge you tax, how's that?

Russ
I'm still in, I just was wondering if the $8 shipping was added in your quote and not noted as such.

Put me down :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you guys suggest that one of these is more sensitive then a dealer spin balancer ? (honest question)I don't mount my own tires, but would be nice to check balance or re-balance....

Oh and for what its worth anyone in Texas need a Tire Changer....

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/nationwide-motorcycle-tire-changers-p/NW-400-SD.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiAiuOlBRCU-8D6idaPz_UBEiQAzTagNBUyRCioUyKQ6x8kzyWpC7oiD4bmYNkjNzLGn3WbbsEaAmGK8P8HAQ
I can't say if it's more sensitive than what the dealers use, but I can say that nobody will care more about your bike than you. This is why I do all my own stunts...er, I mean work. The guy changing and balancing tires at the dealership will likely be the newest and lowest paid guy. Maybe he's a good, conscientious wrench, maybe he isn't. Maybe it's his first day or maybe he's great at his job due to sheer repetition. Too many variable for me.

Well I appreciate that for sure - owning a service center for cars..... spin balance wheels, then its pretty simple to spin them again to make sure they are zero'd out and your done - otherwise sometimes you chase weights as we call it...

So if they don't double check it and make sure its good - or just blow it off, could be off.... it'd be nice to have the tool to check their work...

Count me in for one please....

Group Buy Update: We're about half way to the 15 units. If you're thinking about it but are going to wait until the end of February, consider jumping in early. If I get the minimum early, I'll also ship early. Thanks.