2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't take credit for this question as I saw it brought up on another thread, but it's a good one. If already discussed here I apologize.

Does the slipper clutch prevent bump or roll starting?

After all the noise that ALL those people made asking for a 6 gear transmission I have to say that the response to actually getting what they wish has been

(.............................................................................................................clap.............................................................................................................)

My last Honda had a 6 speed and it was great, loved it, the gears were well spaced, the ratios spot on and it worked well with the final drive ratio that Honda selected. I put roughly 5k miles split between a 6 speed BMW K1300 and 6 speed BMW K1600 and have to say -- yuck, me no like. I like the 5 gear Gen I that I'm riding even if I do shift into the ghost 6th gear not infrequently. Then I test rode a Gen 3 and wow, whatta difference. I was riding along at highway speed quite happy in top gear, then I glanced at the gauges and was *shocked* to see I was in fourth and still had a gear to go
confusedsmiley.png

Out of all the changes I thought Yamaha might make, a 6 speed wasn't expected. I was happy with the Gen 3 as it was. Now I'm not sure if I'm looking for a left-over or lightly used Gen 3 or waiting some more and see if I can test ride the Gen 3 SP 2. I sure could have gone for the matte silver!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Yamaha can adopt Microsoft's naming conventions. It might be Gen III, SP3. (Service pack 2 would be the 2014 ES.) Hopefully its not more like Windows '98 2nd edition!
Just so long as you don't call it a FJR Vista. That would definitely scare me off.

I think all the changes should be considered upgrades. Whether enough to make anyone part with a Gen I, II or III.1 (or attract some other brand loyalist) is a personal/financial decision. Even the new tranny, five or six speeds notwithstanding, should be considered a definite upgrade - should be quieter and smoother and maybe eliminate the potential problem for worn dogs and slipping cogs. I went from a 6-speed CBRXX to a 5-speed FJR. Yep, still occasionally look for sixth but have largely adapted, no big deal either way. I don't find 5K at 85 mph to be over-revving or buzzy. My latest truck is a 6-speed, the previous was a 5-speed. Neither is really superior to the other, just different... but marketing fodder. Heated grips? I still find my $44.95 Heat Demons sufficient (2-speed) - I've never wanted/needed something between high and low.

I still think if Yamaha had wanted to substantially differentiate this year's model from the previous, simple and cheap - add 100 CCs or so. 150-200 CCs and think of the marketing coup and publicity: "C-14 killer." Add some stroke and torque. Or a seat designed by Russell.

Gen I owner: Cool, Gen IV already !!
Gen II owner: Cool, Gen IV already !!

Gen III owner: No, it's a 3.5 at best....(you need more than just minor updates like AN ENTIRELY NEW 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION to bump us down...)

tonguesmiley.gif
I'm a former Gen I, former Gen II, and current Gen III owner, and I don't believe for a minute this 2016 is a 3.5...it's a IV! go BIG or go home! That is all

bleh.gif

For some reason I can't quote any other posts with this browser. So I'm responding to Spud's question about the slipper clutch.

Slipper clutches have been around for about 40 years and they're pretty common on racing 4 strokes. Joe Bolger and the fella that used to own MegaCycles (a big Kwaka dealer in MA in the 70's) developed one back in those days, and I know there were others.

If you set it up right, starting the engine by rotating the rear wheel ought to be a snap.

And if you know Joe, he's in his early 80's and doing jes fine. Still building cool tools with that special touch.

For those that don't know Joe, he is in the AMA Hall of Fame and he taught us young pups quite a bit ... more than we could absorb, that's for sure.

Gen I owner: Cool, Gen IV already !!
Gen II owner: Cool, Gen IV already !!

Gen III owner: No, it's a 3.5 at best....(you need more than just minor updates like AN ENTIRELY NEW 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION to bump us down...)

tonguesmiley.gif

As a lucky bastage who has ALL three Gens currently in the garage.............

IT'S STILL A GEN III

Argument over.

You may all continue on with your mental masturbation of the new Gen III.5 FJR.

Sooooo............. you heard it here FIRST!

You all have been so busy mentally masturbating about six speed trannys, heated grips, LED lighting and so on, that nobody caught that in one of the online review/press releases they listed as a new feature of the 2016 FJR:

"Prepared for D-Air System"

My assumption being that the new FJR will be capable of using an upcoming rider Air Bag System a la Dainese......

https://www.dainese.com/us_en/d-air/street

Very interesting. Not sure how popular that option would be, but very interesting nonetheless. I won't need it...... I mean, since I never crash why would I need it? But some, like that poor bastard "Goat fkr" Iggy might find it useful, or provide some sense of security.

Now, by all means, please continue with your mental masturbation.......

Edit: this may have been a Euro website so could it be a Euro-only option?

Sooooo............. you heard it here FIRST!
You all have been so busy mentally masturbating about six speed trannys, heated grips, LED lighting and so on, that nobody caught that in one of the online review/press releases they listed as a new feature of the 2016 FJR:

"Prepared for D-Air System"

My assumption being that the new FJR will be capable of using an upcoming rider Air Bag System a la Dainese......

https://www.dainese.com/us_en/d-air/street

Very interesting. Not sure how popular that option would be, but very interesting nonetheless. I won't need it...... I mean, since I never crash why would I need it? But some, like that poor bastard "Goat fkr" Iggy might find it useful, or provide some sense of security.

Now, by all means, please continue with your mental masturbation.......

Edit: this may have been a Euro website so could it be a Euro-only option?
Cool..and since you have ended the GEN argument and convinced us that the 2016 is in fact a GEN III, I guess I can plug that D-air system right into my own 2013 Gen III, right?
sleep.png

yes - I did see that on one of the review sites stating the specs, but didn't know what it was....

I was gathering info to post, and forgot to google what that was all about.....

I assume its a sensor that will send out signal to inflate the air bag on a jacket....

Pretty cool in theory....

Cool..and since you have ended the GEN argument and convinced us that the 2016 is in fact a GEN III, I guess I can plug that D-air system right into my own 2013 Gen III, right?
sleep.png

No.

You see your 2013 is the 'bastard' of the 3rd Generation FJRs. Lowly 80mph limit on the cruise control. A color that really isn't a color. And no option for the vastly superior ES version. It's an orphan.

However, there is still hope! With all that hot air and wind you blow, you could probably hook up that D-Air System to your mouth and ass and inflate those air bags in less than the 45 milli-seconds the normal system takes!

bye.gif

sleep.png
You like masturbating I can tell!

You can't interchange a rotor or a fork from a 2004 Gen 1 with a 2003 Gen 1. You can't interchange a Gen 2 2007 wheel with a Gen 2 2008. Does that make each different generations? No.

It's easy to find small numbers of changes, but you're glossing over the totality of changes (or lack thereof) in the 2016 as a platform. The redo points that Yamaha engineers reexamined the bike were the 2006 and 2013 model seasons. They stuck the things in wind tunnels and redid...the 2016 freshened some parts.

What's also very helpful for the FJR community of parts hounds is to have a rule-of-thumb for swapability of parts. And in no particular order the biggies as experienced over and over on this forum are things like windshield, seats, wheels, shocks, and add-on farkles. And the wheel one has caused confusion in many folks since it was a very narrow change in an otherwise static model. It's not going to be about clutches, transmissions, and computers.

BTW, I pinged Warchild and he said it's no way a Gen 4. I floated my "3.5" idea, but there was some virtual eye-rolling with that. I think he goes with the chassis/engine/interchangeability of common parts principle.

Edit: Now he's reexamining. He and I already have a $1 bet about interchangeability of the tail light assembly.

It will be interesting to hear Bounce's opinion if he decides to weigh in.
wink.png

sleep.png

No.

You see your 2013 is the 'bastard' of the 3rd Generation FJRs. Lowly 80mph limit on the cruise control. A color that really isn't a color. And no option for the vastly superior ES version. It's an orphan.

LMAO - there are going to be some repercussions to that statement.... 2013 owners are going to be crawlin all over you about that....
smile.png

Speaking of Ignacios inter changability....

What is the thought of the new Headlights and Tail Lights transferring over to the previous Gen 3 models ?

Just curious as I know someone else will be asking....