2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest concern with buying the '16 would be losing the comfort upgrades I've made to my '07. It's damn near like a Goldwing. Laam seats, MCL highway pegs, Cal-Sci windshield, MV riser plate (with risers added to it). Any one know which, if any, farkles will remain interchangable?
probably everything except the windshield, and maybe the highway pegs

My Oxford heated grip controller has 4 heat settings, I feel that 5 would have been better, allowing finer control. Dunno if 3 settings will provide enough resolution without changing settings to 'average' the temp over time.
The difference here is that the 3 heat settings can be programmed to any one of 10 heat values. I have mine set at 1 = 4, 2 = 7, 3 = 10. I typically only use selections 1 and 2 or the 4th position (off)

My biggest concern with buying the '16 would be losing the comfort upgrades I've made to my '07. It's damn near like a Goldwing. Laam seats, MCL highway pegs, Cal-Sci windshield, MV riser plate (with risers added to it). Any one know which, if any, farkles will remain interchangable?
The only one that doesn't transfer from a 2nd Gen to a 3rd Gen is the windshield.

PS - Not sure what the big deal is about analog tachometer. All FJRs have an analog tachometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure! Then the 2004 (2003 in Europe) should have been Gen 2 because they had ABS added, revised forks, brakes, glove compartment, and other detail changes....which makes the Gen 2 actually a 3....3 a 4...and the AE addition should then probably be a Gen 5....so this is now a Gen 6...or VI if you're Roman numeral inclined.
Oh crap, they changed ABS systems in 2008 along with wheels.....shift by another generation...I guess we're on Gen 7 now....damn!

Or maybe the 2016 is a Gen 3.5. Hmmmm.
It is the Spinal Tap version Most FJRs go up to 5. This one goes to 6. If you are all the way to 5,where can you go from there? Well this one goes to 6 so there you have it.

We could all follow the the iPhone with c or + or s. In the end it is all about extracting money from your pocket. It looks like they did just enough to do that.

Looks like a nice slate of small changes. Personally, I don't see the need for a 6th gear...it'll be interesting to see how the specs stack up. Never experienced a slipper clutch, so no idea about that...I know my '15's clutch is SOOO much easier pulling than my '07's. I recently spent a lot of time night riding and love the performance of the 15's headlight/LED combo...much better than my '07. I'll be curious to see if there's any chance at all of those LED headlights being backward compatible with earlier Gen III's. Not completely sold on the rear LEDs...to me, a hallmark of FJRs is the two slanted red rectangles at the rear, lol.

In any case, it'll be a long time before it's time for me to upgrade as I'm only just getting started on new adventures with my '15. :D

Ugh.... I wish they had killed it.

I still can't justify it. The ensuing divorce + the new bike would be more than I could afford. Now if something happened to my bike, then I'd place my order ASAP.

But for now, I'll have to stick with my 2006 in good condition, stored in my unlocked garage with the keys in it and title in the sidecase FJR.
winksmiley02.gif

I'm gonna go against Ignacio and call the 2003 with a designation of X-FJR1300.
biggrin.png

I'm still a long way off from a new FJR for me. Sitting just a hair shy of 60K on mine right now. The plan was to pay it off and then put something "Leanier" in the garage next to it. Keep the FJR for commuting and touring, and have something to do track days on and haul to the mountains. FJR is going to be paid off free and clear next month, leaving me a few months to get stuff in line before shopping.

So, the 2016 is sweet, but not sweet enough for me to skip a fun bike and replace my not even worn out FJR. I plan to keep the FJR to at least 100K and then I'll be ok to start looking to replace it, even though at that mileage, some still see it as finally broken in.
biggrin.png

I still can't justify it. The ensuing divorce + the new bike would be more than I could afford. Now if something happened to my bike, then I'd place my order ASAP.

But for now, I'll have to stick with my 2006 in good condition, stored in my unlocked garage with the keys in it and title in the sidecase FJR.
winksmiley02.gif
Still like my 06...with all it's character, and miles. But I'd love to start fresh with a 2016, especially since it is the same (best) color.

winksmiley02.gif
Ok, so what's your address and when will you be leaving town...?
grin.gif

On this heated grip issue ... My Rocket III Tourings and my FJRs (7 bikes dating back to 2006 MY) have all had a dial for setting the heated grips.

This would appear to be infinitely variable, but in fact, unless you're hypersensitive, you probably don't have the ability to discern between the heat associated with adjacent marks on the dial.

My personal view is that either I need the heated grips or I don't. If I need them, I turn them on full bore. Maybe if I didn't really need them, but was a wimp and turned them on when it was still not too bad outside, I turn the dial back to the 60% mark.

On my BMWs, all but two of which have had heated grips (another 5 bikes with heated grips dating back to 2007), I've had to deal with a couple of specific settings. These have all been just fine, and again, I tend to either turn them on, or leave them off.

So .... I know we're all different, and that one person's necessity is another person's superfluous useless feature, but this issue of how many settings the heated grips have seems like just so much noise on the signal to me.

My experience with heated grips is that they will run hot enough to be uncomfortable if cranked up full blast.

Plus if you have the grip heat (or other heated gear) turned up too high you will begin to sweat. After things get damp you will get cold no matter how much heat you are pumping in. Being able to control the heat of the grips (or any other heated gear) is critical to its comfort.

^^^^

Not my experience, but YMMV.

You're willing to ride in colder temperatures than I am. Maybe you choose other gloves too.

And I'm no fan of heated clothes either.

I had all sorts of Gerbing stuff back when I thought it was a good idea to ride down to or below freezing. I hardly ever turned it on.

I sold all but a vest, which I liked as a nice insulated vest.

We're all different.

Three heat settings plus off more than takes care of my interest in the heated grips. And I want nothing to do with the heated clothing.

^^^^

Not my experience, but YMMV.

You're willing to ride in colder temperatures than I am. Maybe you choose other gloves too.

And I'm no fan of heated clothes either.

I had all sorts of Gerbing stuff back when I thought it was a good idea to ride down to or below freezing. I hardly ever turned it on.

I sold all but a vest, which I liked as a nice insulated vest.

We're all different.

Three heat settings plus off more than takes care of my interest in the heated grips. And I want nothing to do with the heated clothing.
El Toro...I didn't have heated gear until I could afford it a few years ago and heated grips until I got my GEN3.0. All I can say is that it all works well, you need levels of control on your heated grips...and I use all three settings (which I can individualize).

I think you are an outlier (NOT an out right liar) in your perspective. I'm jes trying to tell you that you are ..."special".
biggrin.png

I am glad that the FJR lives on...though I think I prefer my Gen3.0 better than this Gen3.3.

^^^

I must be an outlier on this issue. I much prefer three settings to "infinitely variable." and more settings seem like serious overkill.

I usually turn them on and when my hands are warm, I turn them off. Digital approach.

Maybe some of you delicate flowers out there have more dainty hands than I have.

And I hate the heated clothing EXCEPT in the tree stand or blind. Then heated clothing is wonderful, and I can dial in the level in fine increments to keep toasty and sweat free.

One year one my hunting buddies showed up with something we called "Man in a Can." It was like a cloth barrel that you wore with suspenders, and it was heated. It was like he had his own little portable sauna. He sure loved it for those 10 F mornings watching the field.

It seems like sissy stuff. Ol' Dan'l and Davy never had sech modern conveniences.

You know all the focus on comfort takes something away and turns the whole thing toward becoming cage like.

Some of my favorite rides were ones where hands, thighs and toes kept reminding me of the ride well into the night as warmth only gradually returned.

I like good wind protection more than I care about heated this or heated that.

And yet I'm always ready to order heated grips. I must be some sort of thread hijacker ... My point was that it was kind of a silly debate, but in the grand scheme of things, I suppose it's no more silly than whether or not we're going to have E15 as our exclusive fuel next year.

Sigh...

Maybe with the new 6th gear it'll do 180...Then again, maybe not. Sort of disappointed. Way to cave to a bunch of dipshits that have no idea what they're talking about and who don't own FJRs. My only hope is that it shifts better than my '07 and multiple shifts aren't required for every change of speed.
As one of those dipshits who doesn't own a FJR but has taken one for three test rides at slow and, yes, highway speeds and is keenly interested in making one my own, keep in mind that Yamaha is making these changes largely to appeal to dipshits like me. Sure, they also hope to entice a segment of current FJR owners to upgrade, but their primary aim is to expand the consumer audience for this bike and sell more units and make it a market leader, and to do that they need to appeal to non-FJR-owner dipshits. If that audience of non-FJR-owning dipshits generally believe, as I do, that a six-speed transmission that provides "evenly spaced gearing for sporty riding and a tall 6th gear for relaxed highway riding" (Yamaha's site) is preferable to a five-speed that revved higher at highway speeds, then rather seeing it as "caving," the design change by Yamaha makes a great deal of sense.

I get why some would prefer five speeds, and for those riders they have their current FJR ride and/or one from twelve or thirteen years of production...but by changing to a six-speed Yamaha expands its future consumer potential. Plus, I suspect there probably aren't many proud FJR owners who if they were in the market for a new bike would skip replacing their worn-out FJR with a new FJR simply because of six speeds (though some, certainly)...but there is undoubtedly a far larger number of non-FJR-owning dipshits like me who would have given the FJR a pass because of five speeds, no matter how much it otherwise appealed to us. I changed from my last bike to my current ride largely because of that problem. With a change to six speeds, both audiences are now largely addressed. That seems to me to be smart business.