2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the poor design of the inside of the OEM trunk, you have to buy a 50 liter one to store 40 liters of stuff. I have the OEM one and miss my Givi.

FJRPitts - I'm curious about your comment. Do you believe the volume of the OEM top box is inefficient because of it's relatively tall design (v/s wide)? Meaning one has to stack stuff on top of other stuff, and that makes it harder to find things?

I would still prefer the SR-357 design to the OEM accessory rack. The SR-357 has metal spanning between the bottom supports. If the top box is unevenly loaded left-to-right (always is the case), that load can be more evenly transferred across the bottom mounts.

Regardless, I am interested in knowing if Yamaha has stiffened the rear frame piece, and the load rating. The Gen III factory top box load limits are woefully inadequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRPittsburgh is talking about the previous Yamaha Top Box designed similarly to the side cases, where the outside may appear to be the size of ~45 liters, but due to the space between the outer and inner shells has a very limited capacity. These newer top boxes (I believe they are made by Shad) may or may not be of that two-layer-shell design, but the fact they are rated at 50 liter capacity makes me think it is not.

There is nothing to indicate the rear subframe was changed on the 2016 vs. 2013 - 2015, which are the same as 2006 - 2012. The "stiffening" that kebo123 referenced to allow a 50 liter case is due to the new, alloy mounting frame/plate design, which will have the same stiffening effect as the Givi SR racks do.

FJRPitts - I'm curious about your comment. Do you believe the volume of the OEM top box is inefficient because of it's relatively tall design (v/s wide)? Meaning one has to stack stuff on top of other stuff, and that makes it harder to find things?...
On the inside of the OEM top box, there is about 15-20% of possible volume taken up by the latch and handle mechanism and the plastic used to cover it all. The OEM trunk would be much more usable without that large volume incursion into the top box. I have seen some people like Jeff Ashe who built a cargo net or plate into the top of the box to make it easier to organize 'stuff'.

Edit: I see I cross-posted with Fred.

Thanks for the clarification on the OEM box.

Fred respectfully, I disagree. Without metal to connect the two legs at the bottom mount, and thereby square off the entire rack, the Yamaha accessory rack is NOT as strong as the SR-357. Heavy loads bouncing in a top box will try and spread those legs apart. Uneven loads in the top box will place higher and varied stresses on each lower mounting point. Normally, I would call it splitting hairs, but as we all know, this particular thing has been an issue on the Gen II/III FJR (and perhaps the Gen 3.5 as well?).

Anybody that tours with a top box knows that the load ratings for that are stupid. I run overloaded on some day trips.

My comment was poorly worded. I was describing the thick walls of the OEM trunk actually giving you less storage on the inside of the case vs. what you see on the outside. It's also heavier than a Givi and no easy way to add brake and turn signal lights. I continue to use my OEM case as I've gotten comfortable with being disappointed.

Well, I wanted this 50l OEM trunk a lot when I bought my '13A and have seen it on motoshow. Was knocking every month on Yama doors and after few month of waiting I gave up and managed my Givi, get painted upper cover to fit to bike color (and after switch to my '15ES just kept it at home). At the end I am happy with function and design:

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Just recently (last month) I managed the lock on my Givi to adopt for OEM key so no reason and no plan to change it now to OEM trunk. I am just wondering that Yamaha will finally (hope so) provide product presented more that 3 years ago to their customers and may be by that action they solved robustness issue with breakage of rear sub-frame ...

Fred respectfully, I disagree. Without metal to connect the two legs at the bottom mount, and thereby square off the entire rack, the Yamaha accessory rack is NOT as strong as the SR-357.
We'll have to agree to disagree then.

The load on the sub-frame when carrying a trunk is primary vertical, as you said, bouncing up and down, not laterally side to side. The weight is borne primarily by the rearmost casting (the one that breaks), not by the square steel tubing of the bike's rear frame where the front part of these racks bolt up to. Bouncing up and down will not force the legs to spread unless/until the bike is takes a nap. ;)

The key support component of either of these racks is the vertical triangulation that prevents the weight on the rear from flexing the rear casting downward. All of that said, I too prefer the tubular steel frame of the Givi over the relatively stiffer, but likely more brittle alloy for the purpose of rack strengthening.

My original point was that the triangulation has about the same dimensions, and should stiffen the rear cast subframe roughly the same way and amount.

Is that the root beer brown for 2015? Nice. Good choice on getting the Givi, although I still would recommend stiffening up the sub-frame.

I had an OEM top box on the '07, and the problem is it is too tall, everything jumbles round like a washing machine inside, no cargo straps like the wider and lower profile Givi. The OEM box is fat, as ionbeam points out.

Also, the OEM rack was a resin affair that would break in the grab handle area. If the new one is diecast, better maybe?

Yes, this color is called "Magnetic Bronze" and was available in EU for '13, '14, and '15 - A, ES and AE. Regarding your recommendation - agreed and I have installed Garauld stiffy kit (as the trunk - kept is from my '13).

I have seen the OEM 50l ones on the show - looks nice and is definitely bigger compare to OEM 39l.

Is that the root beer brown for 2015? Nice. Good choice on getting the Givi, although I still would recommend stiffening up the sub-frame.

I like the raised white letters on your tires.
Saw that too. Did the old tires here in America have them as well? I think I remember having some of those on my Night hawk she. I bought it, but since neither tire held air, they needed changed right away.

All this talk about boxes, clutches, and sub frames is interesting. Some of the nit picking reminds me of how people used to say Cindy Crawford should get that mole removed.

Back in the 70's you could buy paint sticks (red or white) to fill in the raised letters on your tires....... cool factor, yeah!

Wheels are painted. I was very disappointed by original black paint quality and I like silver on the rims more (I found it also more practical for dust). Just agreed in paint shop on proper color tone (was looking similar one as on my previous '07 FJR).

I see you like white letters my tyres! No secret here - white pen marker, job done by my daughter (she is 16 but still likes such things - her work on every tyre change
smile.png
)

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/tyre-pen-white-10-ml/10007157

Some of the nit picking reminds me of how people used to say Cindy Crawford should get that mole removed.
You mean to tell me she never got rid of that mole? Geez. Thanks CAV for telling me about that nugget. Now I have another disappointment to add to the list.

And if I can't get her jacket and helmet in my OEM trunk, I'm really gonna be pissed!