2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I think the extra weight of that 6th speed pinion is not worth the marginal improvement in MPG. You're carrying that extra 2 or 3 pounds around for every single mile ....
If you think carrying around 2-3 extra pounds will negate the 6th gear MPG gain, then you may want to think about losing 5 lbs of body weight and really gain some MPG!!I'm not an engineer but using logic I would conclude, if you add another gear that is taller then the current 5th gear on GenII bikes you will gain better fuel economy. When the auto companies added 5 speed trans to cars the gas mileage improved over the 4 sp boxes. When the auto companies came out with automatic trans with 6 and higher gears the MPG increased even while increasing the HP. I realize tuning had a major role. I may be using voodoo logic but that has been my life's experience with vehicles. My 2003 Toyota Highlander had a 5sp automatic and I got average 26 mpg. I now have a 2015 Lexus RX350 that has more HP and weighs more and I am getting an average 28 mpg. The Lexus has a 6 sp auto trans. Any of this make sense to the 6 speed doubters??
NO. You are mixing apples and oranges. Higher gear ratios do not always result in better mileage. If that were true my C14 wth its 3:40 to 1 6th gear ratio would get far better mileage than its 4:08 to 1 5th gear ratio. It doesn't.....most of the time 5th gear gets better mileage. The auto companies are getting better fuel economy through better engine design and 6 to 8 gear transmissions that are designed to keep the engine rpms in the most fuel efficient range at all speeds rather than just providing taller final gears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always liked the evolutionary approach to changes on this bike (very BMW like). It means that the Corbin seat and Staintune pipes I bought for my 2005 also fit my 2008 & 2014ES FJR. I like the color matched side panels and new lighting as well as the color. Really can't see that much difference in the instruments or controls. In my opinion the bike didn't need a 6 speed except for marketing because it's competition has 6 speeds. Hell the bike has so much low end TQ I start from lights in 2nd gear effortlessly most of the time with the 5 speed.

The answer to WheatonFJR's question "will it be faster" is depends on whether it is heavier and whether Yamaha tweaked a few more HP out of the old 1300 motor. Personally I doubt it will be any faster than the 5 speeds. I would liked a shift assist feature like the BMW's now have. I get it on my 2014 5 speed with a DynoJet shifter but this is not nearly as sophisticated as the BMW system which includes auto rev matching on both up shifts and down shifts.

This one is derailing rapidly.

For a somewhat interesting and decently educational experience try watching the film documenting Craig Vetter's fuel mileage challenge. I was somewhat surprised by the conclusions and results. We all understand aerodynamics but the science of pumping loss and the drag of the butterfly in a carburetor throat was astonishing.

I am just fine with my 5 speed but I am sure the 6 speed will be fine as well. I am fairly certain that with the torque of the FJR it will be able to spin a taller gear just fine. I believe that the aerodynamic drag of top gear speeds will have more effect on my fuel mileage than a few hundred RPM one way or another.

In any case, I am excited for those of you who are in line to get one. I know how I felt when I saw the 2015 in Liquid Graphite and knew that I HAD to have one. If you guys are half as excited as I was, I am happy for you. That blue looks fantastic.

5 speeds are fine... but you shift less.

6 speeds are fine... but you shift more.

Since they are NOT an option, 'Who gives a shift?'

Almost. Tire Pressure Monitor System.

Unless I misunderstand (which I can do quite readily) TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. A resistor locked to the throttle plate shaft which moves exactly with the hand throttle and returns a voltage proportional to the throttle twist. It sends a voltage to the ECU which uses software math to convert the voltage to % of throttle opening. The sensor range is ~ 0.650 volts (idle, the throttle plates must be cracked open to allow idle air flow) to 4.75 volts which equals fully open throttle plates. The ultimate voltage range on the TPS sensor is 0 - 5 volts, but the expected program range is ~0.65 volts to 4.75 volts and will vary slightly with each throttle body sync.

Personally, I think the extra weight of that 6th speed pinion is not worth the marginal improvement in MPG. You're carrying that extra 2 or 3 pounds around for every single mile ....
I'm not an engineer but using logic I would conclude, if you add another gear that is taller then the current 5th gear on GenII bikes you will gain better fuel economy.
Well, I'm an engineer and if you think they can just keep adding gears until you get 100 mpg, you're wrong. :)
I currently ride a Honda ST1300 and test rode a 2015 FJR last spring. Even with the smooth V4 in the ST it feels like it could use a 6th gear at times. When I test rode the FJR I felt even more like it needed a taller gear on the highway. Now I didn't do an comparison of gearing or rpms. It just felt like it needed it. Even with a 6th gear it might not feel as smooth as the ST's V4, but I can live with that. I didn't pull the trigger last spring as I had just installed Racetech suspension on my ST and didn't think the timing was right. If I can negotiate a good deal for a 2016 FJR this might be the right time for me to move on.

I'm just impressed that Yamaha is doing <something> to improve the bike. Honda on the other hand appears to be leaving the sport touring market as they've done virtually nothing to the ST1300 since introducing it in 2003....

Engine RPMs in 5th gear @ 55 mph indicated are identical for the ST1300 and Gen2/Gen3 FJRs.

As you say, VIRTUALLY no improvements to the ST1300. Meanwhile Yamaha has listened and adjusted. Your '04 ST1300 is roughly comparable to the Gen2 FJR although it is heavier and slower than the FJR. Your '04 ST1300 is hopelessly outdated next to the Gen3 FJR. Your '04 ST1300 may as well be burning coal compared to the 2016 FJR.

While the ST1300 was a great bike in its day and will still carry you comfortably and safely all over the country, you will not miss it. You might miss the mirrors (I do) but that is about it. And when you do an oil change on the FJR... You will grow to hate the Honda engineers.

You might miss the mirrors (I do) but that is about it. And when you do an oil change on the FJR... You will grow to hate the Honda engineers.
I pretty much see my hands in the mirrors of the ST, so I'm used to poorly placed mirrors. I was looking at the FJR oil filter placement the other day when I visited my dealer. On the ST I have to put foil over the headers to keep the oil off of them. It looks like there's some fairing under the FJR filter. Do you typically pull that to change the filter or cover it with something?
I remove 1 fastener to pull the plastic away and place a piece of foil over it.

One hopefully last question. When the 2016 is here will someone please post the RPM's at 60MPH? I really don't care that much about better or the same miles per gallon but I would like to see lower RPM's. When I am riding here in the west at 70-80mph I would like lower PRM'a than 3500-4000. Perhaps the V-Max final drive is the answer.

Will 2016

I can hear it now from buyers of the 2016 - this bike would be perfect IF ONLY I didn't have to downshift from 6th to make a quick pass at 70 mph.YMMV.I can hear it now from buyers of the 2016 - this bike would be perfect IF ONLY I didn't have to downshift from 6th to make a quick pass at 70 mph.

YMMV.I can hear it now from buyers of the 2016 - this bike would be perfect IF ONLY I didn't have to downshift from 6th to make a quick pass at 70 mph.

YMMV.I can hear it now from buyers of the 2016 - this bike would be perfect IF ONLY I didn't have to downshift from 6th to make a quick pass at 70 mph.

YMMV.
So 2016 owners will echo?

I suppose the best solution would be to get a new 2016. Then I would not care about any minor inconveniences. Wish these were out. Gonna head for Cleveland. Hoping one will be there. What a machine! Might as well go all out if spending that kind of money. Keeps me from saying "I should have gotten.......

I suppose the best solution would be to get a new 2016. Then I would not care about any minor inconveniences. Wish these were out. Gonna head for Cleveland. Hoping one will be there. What a machine! Might as well go all out if spending that kind of money. Keeps me from saying "I should have gotten.......
One of my favorite quotes I stole and use all the time. "Only the best is half good enough".

Passing on Cleveland as the Indy motorcycle is 3rd weekend in February here. Think I can hold out that long. Gives me time to prep the wife.......

It looks like 2016 model will be finally available with 50l trunk (announced already in 2012 but because of rear frame stiffness issue was never available on the market):

284.jpg

On Yamaha German site trunk is already visible in accessories page (with comment - not available):

285.jpg

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/fjr1300as.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=1MC-F84A8-10-00&year=2016

But I am interesting in that part:

286.jpg

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/de/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/fjr1300as.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=1MC-248D0-00-00&year=2016

Description said that thanks to integrated design now bigger volume trunks can be used. I wonder if it is managed just with this part (may me alu-part???). And I wonder if it will fit also to previous FJR models. After Christmas vacation will try to find out with local dealer.

Sure looks a lot like the Givi SR rack approach at increasing subframe stiffness, which has been available since early on in the 1st Gens. I'm also willing to bet the Yamaha accessory will be at least twice the price of the Givi.

I also find the angular design of this top box doesn't really fit with the more rounded lines of the bike's faring. It doesn't look like it really belongs on there any more than a Givi trunk would.