2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new LED lighting is definitely an improvement as far as bulb longevity goes.

I wonder how the circuits are current limited and how the ECU monitoring may have changed.

For instance, will we still be able to tap in for switching auxiliary lighting? Can additional LEDs (ie Givi lightbar) still be possible,

We need guinea pigs!

Guess what I saw today.
smile.png

IMS - New York. In the back of my mind I figured there was a 50-50 shot of a '16 being there so I brought the camera along just in case. (After downloading the shots and realizing just how bad my photography skills are though I probably should've just stuck with the cell. Sorry.) They had only one and it sat towards the edge of the carpet in an unremarkable display. No banners or spotlights, just another bike in their line-up. First impression - the color is NICE! Or maybe smooth would be a better description. Somewhere between the look-at-me red and the quietly powerful grey. I know it's listed as Cobolt Blue, the same as the other two years, but it looked darker on the floor than what the pictures show. Maybe it was the lighting or the new paint. The black wheels along with the black accent panels I thought worked really well together also.

P1010738.jpg

P1010748.jpg

A rep came over after a few moments and I ended up having a truly nice conversation about the bike. A fellow FJR owner and just a pleasant guy to talk to, he took the time to answer whatever questions I had and pointed out a few other things too. I'll let Skooter vouch for his credentials but I feel pretty confident saying Ashley knew what he was talking about.

The trans, gearing and clutch came up almost immediately and we both acknowledged that the FJR didn't 'need' a sixth gear but as he pointed out, it doesn't hurt also. From his test rides he felt sixth dropped the RPMs enough to notice but with no detriment to the others, that is it still took off like a shot and pulled through them just as we like. He talked some about the helical gears and the benefits there, including not having to increase the space needed and screwing with the engine. He saw no downside to the slipper clutch.

P1010749.jpg

We talked somewhat about the lighting also. As we know the adaptive lighting (ES models only) operates in turns via a gyroscope type of sensor. Simply turning the key on will not activate the system. The bike must be moving forward at about 15 MPH and then the amount of lean will determine how many of the LED lights will illuminate on the leaning side. As the bike straightens up, the lights will sequentially extinguish. Cool system but it makes me chuckle as I think about what kind of light show another rider leading an ES through a set of twisties would get in his mirrors.
tonguesmiley.gif
I'm thinking headlight modulators might be a bit much there. Oh, I believe he confirmed the electrical system hasn't changed either so there should be a nice jump in excess power for us to use.

Not sure small hands will help you here.

P1010746.jpg

P1010741.jpg

P1010754.jpg

One other thing he pointed out which he didn't believe made any of the published releases is that this bike now utilizes OBD II with the port located under the seat. Strange or not, I thought of Ionbeam immediately.
smile.png

I went there thinking that if I did get to see it, I was prepared to go, "meh" and then hope to look for a left-over '15. BUT . . . it might have changed my mind. We'll find out this Spring I suppose.

A few other pics here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooooooooooooo.............................it is a gen 13?.............whouda thunk?

From here it seems to need something. Other than that, it's just another Gen3 in another redundant color. Yeh, 6 speed, blah blah blah,

Dave

BigOgre...first with the pics demonstrating the 2016 is really a Galaxy Blue. Good job!
I was at the show in NY as well. The FJR looked like somewhere in between Cobalt and Galaxy. I believe the lighting and very shiny polish made it look that way. Yamaha says that it is exactly the same Cobalt Blue as the '06. All it needs is a few thousand miles of road grime to make it look right.
smile.png

Here is a much better picture:
coolsmiley02.gif

DSCN1057_zpsrx7quegv.jpg

Hmmm... OBD2. That's the first mention of it.

I wonder if it is fully OBD2 capable or just an OBD2-like port.

In Geezer's photo the color looks the same as '06 and '12 to me.

Good pics and observations, thanks! Wonder why the tach is stuck at redline? Maybe someone had a very fun test ride. Hmm....

Ya know, I really didn't want to spend the dough on a new bike any time soon. But damn....

Wonder why the tach is stuck at redline? Maybe someone had a very fun test ride. Hmm....
Good catch. Didn't see that. But I did notice the pipes right away along with the used, as in fully from side to side, tires. He did say that his riding impressions came from the track only so maybe.

P1010742.jpg

The new LED lighting is definitely an improvement as far as bulb longevity goes.I wonder how the circuits are current limited and how the ECU monitoring may have changed.

For instance, will we still be able to tap in for switching auxiliary lighting? Can additional LEDs (ie Givi lightbar) still be possible,

We need guinea pigs!
Joe will be our Guinea pig.

The 05 was a fiasco the 12 two and now the 16 ok why why
I'm curious about that statement... had mine for 10 years, I had zero issues with mine...

Can't wait for 1st responder impressions on the '16, its like some Start Trek heading off into the unknown abyss...

"some kind of.........."