2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up my '16 ES. Interesting is that the VIN is ...A000062 and it came from Yamaha's warehouse just 3 weeks after ordering it on May 13th through the "preorder program" with my dealer. They must have had the crate in a corner somewhere--only had 0.9 mile even after the dealer did a shakedown ride after uncrating and assembly.

Only rode it about 9 miles back from the dealer, but I found the clutch pull to be much lighter than the '13 I traded for it and the 6 speed transmission is super smooth. Only turns 3,500 RPM at 70 MPH in 6th gear vs. 4,000 in 5th on the '13. Love the blue--much better in person than any pictures I've seen.

Got mine yesterday. Same as the rest of you guys. Smooth. Rode her home (of course it rained) put on some new tank slapper and a Yamaha tank bag. No CEL for the kickstand, not yet!

I have some pics in photo bucket but I can`t transfer the pics. All I get is the link. Can someone help?

Thanks

IMG_0376.jpg

The pictures are starting to come now. Compared to my 2006, the clutch will take some getting used to. The handling feels good, the brakes feel different and so far, in touring mode, the engine power is a little weak. Tomorrow I`ll switch to sport mode and I`ll report back with the performance. My 2006 was a pretty good runner. the PC-5 made a huge difference in the power and throttle responce. The ES is just smooth, smooth, smooth. this is one nice bike. My grandson came along yesterday. I think he approves. LD
IMG_0379.jpg

You'll see some difference in sport mode. The bike will be a lot more responsive to throttle input imo. I haven't done any real distance riding to compare the two modes for fuel economy yet, but in short testing while on cruise, I didn't see much difference.

Grand kids are cool eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
The handling feels good, the brakes feel different and so far, in touring mode, the engine power is a little weak. Tomorrow I`ll switch to sport mode and I`ll report back with the performance.

Not sure why anyone would use Touring mode, even in the rain. These bike are smooth and very tractable in the Sport setting.

The pictures are starting to come now. Compared to my 2006, the clutch will take some getting used to. The handling feels good, the brakes feel different and so far, in touring mode, the engine power is a little weak. Tomorrow I`ll switch to sport mode and I`ll report back with the performance. My 2006 was a pretty good runner. the PC-5 made a huge difference in the power and throttle responce. The ES is just smooth, smooth, smooth. this is one nice bike. My grandson came along yesterday. I think he approves. LD
IMG_0379.jpg
Your luggage rack is silver. Mine and all others are cobalt blue.

IMG_0379.jpg
Yes, the clutch friction point is considerably further out from the grip than my '13 was--only an issue when pulling away from a stop. I also think that the front brakes are different--they are firm, not squishy, so I don't think it's a bleeding problem, but they take a lot more effort to stop than my '13. Not sure something is amiss or not--will have the dealer look at them when I take it in for the 600 mile service.

I never used touring mode on my '13 and don't plan on using it on the '16 either.

I immediately adjusted my clutch lever... it was WAY too far out for me. A couple clicks on the dial and all is good again.

Yes, the clutch friction point is considerably further out from the grip than my '13 was--only an issue when pulling away from a stop. I also think that the front brakes are different--they are firm, not squishy, so I don't think it's a bleeding problem, but they take a lot more effort to stop than my '13. Not sure something is amiss or not--will have the dealer look at them when I take it in for the 600 mile service.
Less than 600 miles, your brake pads haven't formed to the rotors yet. I find my front brake much more powerful than the rear. Yes, that is normal but more so than other streetbikes.

So what's the fix on the CEL for the kickstand? Is it a sensor issue or programming thing? Wouldn't the dealer have taken care of it before letting the bike go or hasn't MammaYamma come up with a fix yet? Just curious.

NEVERMIND I READ THE THREAD CONCERNING THIS ISSUE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I immediately adjusted my clutch lever... it was WAY too far out for me. A couple clicks on the dial and all is good again.
Even if I adjust the lever to be as close to the grip as possible the friction point will still be near the fully released position of the lever. The friction point on my '13 was a lot closer to the grip so that you barely had to release the lever before the clutch engaged. My buddy's K1600GT is like this and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Less than 600 miles, your brake pads haven't formed to the rotors yet. I find my front brake much more powerful than the rear. Yes, that is normal but more so than other streetbikes.
You may be right but I just didn't notice this when I first got my '13. Seems like the amount of needed pressure on the lever did not change from the onset. I really need to clamp down on it now on the '16--time will tell.

Pilot, I agree completely about the clutch and the front brakes. I switched to S today and the bike came alive. No reason to use T. No power. The best thing is the handling. She falls into the turns.

Guys, that is the factory rack made out of aluminum. The top case is back ordered until next month.Looks like a big improvement over the previous box. I think I`m ordering the factory Yosh slip ons. Anyone have them yet?

Latest posts