2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The handling feels good, the brakes feel different and so far, in touring mode, the engine power is a little weak. Tomorrow I`ll switch to sport mode and I`ll report back with the performance.

Not sure why anyone would use Touring mode, even in the rain. These bike are smooth and very tractable in the Sport setting.
Because it's smoother and even more tractable in touring mode. I actually find sport mode a bit abrupt for my liking. There is NO difference in the power delivered, only the speed that the throttle opens.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreakyFastFreddie posted: So what's the fix on the CEL for the kickstand? Is it a sensor issue or programming thing? Wouldn't the dealer have taken care of it before letting the bike go or hasn't MammaYamma come up with a fix yet? Just curious.
NEVERMIND I READ THE THREAD CONCERNING THIS ISSUE.
Hallelujah! One out of two .....

The handling feels good, the brakes feel different and so far, in touring mode, the engine power is a little weak. Tomorrow I`ll switch to sport mode and I`ll report back with the performance.

Not sure why anyone would use Touring mode, even in the rain. These bike are smooth and very tractable in the Sport setting.
Because it's smoother and even more tractable in touring mode. I actually find sport mode a bit abrupt for my liking. There is NO difference in the power delivered, only the speed that the throttle opens.
Wow! Talk about the best of both worlds- a select-able choice between the jerky '07 throttle and the dull '08 throttle. I'm going to have to revisit the possibility of owning one....

...Wow! Talk about the best of both worlds- a select-able choice between the jerky '07 throttle and the dull '08 throttle. I'm going to have to revisit the possibility of owning one....
Well, no. Much better transition from throttle off-to-on in Sport mode than the '07 had, and significantly more gradual throttle rate of increase than the '10 in Touring.

I reserve Touring for when the road is unusually slippery. I much prefer the immediate response of Sport whenever I might want to change my speed, particularly in traffic or playing in twisties.

My riding style is best described as swoopy. So I enjoy the extra smooth throttle because I can manage the take-up better while adding throttle through a corner. It also allows me to stay relaxed and while effortlessly keeping a good pace.

On my way into work yesterday I was so proud of my self driving economically with no aggressive acceleration. That was until I hit that last stretch of highway.

Just recently purchased my first FJR 2016A. What a machine,having coming from sport bikes. No cel lights yet. Have completed 400miles,which are from commuting.Lots of shifting and Engine temperature cycles. Believe a good way of breaking in a engine.

Plan on doing my first service myself over the 4th of July.

Fantastic Bike
yahoo.gif

Over last two weekends I put about 400 miles on my '16 ES. I've been playing with the suspension settings and it's very cool to be able to change from standard or hard to soft on the fly for varying road conditions--very noticeable differences. I'm looking forward to trying the firmer setting variations on some mountain roads when I go to Colorado toward the end of August--so far I like them for some of the high-speed sweepers and tight curves that we have around my neck of the woods, especially when the road surface leaves a little to be desired.

So far, the most impressive new features to me are the 6 speed transmission and slipper clutch. Having had both an '03 and a '13 I can tell you that this new transmission is super smooth--zero clunk from neutral to first, effortless on all upshifts, and the slipper clutch is the cat's meow on downshifts. I can also definitely tell the difference in the amount of clutch pull effort from my '13 (very welcome since I got caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about an hour on my first ride--I am also happy to say that even in 90 degree heat my temperature only went from about 170 to 212 and no higher). I'm also thrilled to no longer be limited to 80 MPH on the cruise control--I hated that on my '13 and never wanted to spend the $600 for a '14A ECU to correct Yamaha's error. The lower RPM's in 6th gear makes cruising at 70 - 80 MPH much more comfortable IMHO. I also believe that the 6th gear improves gas mileage--I used it whenever going over 65 - 70 MPH and, even with some spirited riding, I was averaging 48 MPG. I don't ever remember getting that high on my '13.

Does anyone know if Yamaha slightly changed the fairing design on the post '13's? On my '13 I was forever bumping my shin against the left fairing, especially when moving my leg a little forward to shift. On the '16 there seems to be more room there now and this is no longer an issue--maybe it's just in my head. And man, does this Cobalt Blue look great out in the sun! Overall this is the best FJR I have owned.

You have nailed it, FJR Pilot! Your experience tracks mine exactly. I've owned an '05 (55,000 miles), '08 (83,000 miles), '13 (44,000 miles), and now this '16ES. All great but the latest is indeed the greatest!

Over last two weekends I put about 400 miles on my '16 ES. I've been playing with the suspension settings and it's very cool to be able to change from standard or hard to soft on the fly for varying road conditions--very noticeable differences. I'm looking forward to trying the firmer setting variations on some mountain roads when I go to Colorado toward the end of August--so far I like them for some of the high-speed sweepers and tight curves that we have around my neck of the woods, especially when the road surface leaves a little to be desired.
So far, the most impressive new features to me are the 6 speed transmission and slipper clutch. Having had both an '03 and a '13 I can tell you that this new transmission is super smooth--zero clunk from neutral to first, effortless on all upshifts, and the slipper clutch is the cat's meow on downshifts. I can also definitely tell the difference in the amount of clutch pull effort from my '13 (very welcome since I got caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic for about an hour on my first ride--I am also happy to say that even in 90 degree heat my temperature only went from about 170 to 212 and no higher). I'm also thrilled to no longer be limited to 80 MPH on the cruise control--I hated that on my '13 and never wanted to spend the $600 for a '14A ECU to correct Yamaha's error. The lower RPM's in 6th gear makes cruising at 70 - 80 MPH much more comfortable IMHO. I also believe that the 6th gear improves gas mileage--I used it whenever going over 65 - 70 MPH and, even with some spirited riding, I was averaging 48 MPG. I don't ever remember getting that high on my '13.

Does anyone know if Yamaha slightly changed the fairing design on the post '13's? On my '13 I was forever bumping my shin against the left fairing, especially when moving my leg a little forward to shift. On the '16 there seems to be more room there now and this is no longer an issue--maybe it's just in my head. And man, does this Cobalt Blue look great out in the sun! Overall this is the best FJR I have owned.
Thanks for the review. I've been trying to decide on getting a 15ES or spend the extra for the 16. Sounds like I should really consider the 16. I think this will be my last bike purchase or at least I'm telling myself that so maybe I should just blow it out and do the 16ES. $4K difference from on new 15ES vs. 16ES.

You have nailed it, FJR Pilot! Your experience tracks mine exactly. I've owned an '05 (55,000 miles), '08 (83,000 miles), '13 (44,000 miles), and now this '16ES. All great but the latest is indeed the greatest!

Interesting reading about the shifting, slipper and 6th gear. It's my understanding the 16 bike has a hill holder feature and as I understand it revs the engine a bit on a hill stop. Any comments on this feature? Never cared for it in Subarus and test rides are not available. Thanks.

Interesting reading about the shifting, slipper and 6th gear. It's my understanding the 16 bike has a hill holder feature and as I understand it revs the engine a bit on a hill stop. Any comments on this feature? Never cared for it in Subarus and test rides are not available. Thanks.
Post a link there buddy...or did you just pull it out of...

...thin air.

As I said, it was my understanding. Perhaps I'm wrong. Shocked to see a new '16A for otd +$200 on eBay for $13499 not sell.... is the economy that bad?

Don't have a link though buddy...thought I read it somewhere. As I said...can't get test rides so I asked the question. Still looking for the answer buddy....

The only thing I'm sure of on a Gen III is if you slowly let the clutch out in 1st gear without using the throttle the ECU will increase the rpms a small amount to keep the rpms from dropping and stalling.

Hill hold, hill rpm increase, close to 0% chance. It's up to a '16 owner to actually look at the owners manual and then give us the straight facts.

True. It's not overly difficult to overcome any rpm increase when starting out, hill or otherwise. I have stalled mine on a hill start because of this. I've not found a hill brake feature in the manual or on the bike yet