2016 model, high beam voltage levels.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritRider

Reaction score
Just finished installing a pair of auxiliary lights with a Skene controller on my 2016.

I found that the voltage level from the headlight switch is 12v in the dipped position, and 0v in the high beam position.

This is opposite to the voltage levels on bikes with conventional halogen headlights. Where the 12v high beam voltage energizes a relay to switch on the high beam.

On the 2016 the high beam 0v is used to bias the cathodes of the LED's to allow them to conduct.

Cheers

Bill

Yes, do tell please?
help.gif

I connected the white wire from the Skene controller to a yellow wire on the bike. If you look under the headlight unit from the front you will see two Headlight Control Units. To the left of the controllers is a cable comnector. There are several yellow wires accessible here.

Just be aware the yellow wire is the high beam signal. However, it is a low 0v signal, as reported above?

I plan to build a simple solid state switch to change the 0v high beam signal to the conventional 12v voltage.

In the mean time I have got the Skene controller to work by programming it with the headlight switch in the dipped (12v) position. Then I disconnected the white wire to allow the aux light to work with headlights dipped. The down side is that I have lost full aux light brightness when headlights are on high beam.

Last edited by a moderator:
This can be easily fixed by using a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay. Basically, the relay coil would be powered by the low beam 12vdc normally but when the high beam is turned on the relay would relax and then the now closed set of contacts would be used to apply battery 12vdc to the controller (and thereby turning the aux lights to full power). A picture would be worth a thousand words, but it's not easy to draw on the forum. :)

This can be easily fixed by using a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay. Basically, the relay coil would be powered by the low beam 12vdc normally but when the high beam is turned on the relay would relax and then the now closed set of contacts would be used to apply battery 12vdc to the controller (and thereby turning the aux lights to full power). A picture would be worth a thousand words, but it's not easy to draw on the forum.
smile.png
Thanks Harald, Already have plans in motion to design and build a solid state solution using a MAX4544 Dual SPST/SPDT Analog Switch.

I will post details when the prototype is built and working.

Be great to see your high tech solution. For those looking for a quick and cheap solution, here's a drawing:

dpst.jpg

Added on edit:

On second thought, not knowing what the circuitry is inside the Skene (or other brand) light controller I would suggest using a switched 12vdc source into the relay that will provide the simulated "high beam on" signal to the controller. Otherwise the potential is there for draining your battery when the bike is turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This can be easily fixed by using a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) relay. Basically, the relay coil would be powered by the low beam 12vdc normally but when the high beam is turned on the relay would relax and then the now closed set of contacts would be used to apply battery 12vdc to the controller (and thereby turning the aux lights to full power). A picture would be worth a thousand words, but it's not easy to draw on the forum. :)
Thanks Harald, Already have plans in motion to design and build a solid state solution using a MAX4544 Dual SPST/SPDT Analog Switch.

BritRiderAre you any further along in this project?

Many thx

-Steve

BritRider

Are you any further along in this project?

Many thx

-Steve
Why? There is always a voltage drop across semiconductors. Much much less across caveman stupid and simple relay.

Furthermore, why bother at all? Just put battery voltage on your aux lights and ground through the switch. Assuming the switch has sufficient current carrying capacity. Otherwise use a relay as a current amplifier as shown above.

The Skene controller has the ability to be programmed in "fog lamp" mode. With 2015 and older models, this would turn off the aux lights when you hit the high beams. With the 2016's I would assume you could use this to turn on the aux lights. Not sure how or if you could maintain the dimmer function though. Just a thought.