2018 FJR key blank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bent a couple of the OEM keys. They stick out too far when used with the luggage and are easily bent if bumped while in a luggage lock.

I'd love to get a sturdier key for that reason. But I don't see any mention of the FJR immobilizer on the website though, so I don't think anything on offer will work with a Canadian or Euro model.

I have bent a couple of the OEM keys. They stick out too far when used with the luggage and are easily bent if bumped while in a luggage lock.

I'd love to get a sturdier key for that reason. But I don't see any mention of the FJR immobilizer on the website though, so I don't think anything on offer will work with a Canadian or Euro model.

Go to your local locksmith. They will have a shorter key blank that matches the Yamaha key blank.
Either an Ilco x120 / YH46 or Ilco x77 / YH38 or equivalent.
It is a much shorter key that won't stick up as high in the luggage or fuel cap lock, so less likely to bend or break.
You don't need a chipped key to open the luggage or fuel cap.
I leave the short key in the luggage lock all the time so I don't have to dig it out of my pocket.

“Lucky me”, I bought my ‘06 with a replaced ignition switch, so now I have two keys for the bike. One for the ignition, and one for everything else.

Those keys are cut double sided. Take both keys to the local locksmith and have one new key cut on one side with the ignition switch key and have the other side cut with the luggage / fuel cap key.
Then one key will work everything, you just have to turn it the right way for where you want to use it.

dan

Those keys are cut double sided. Take both keys to the local locksmith and have one new key cut on one side with the ignition switch key and have the other side cut with the luggage / fuel cap key.
Then one key will work everything, you just have to turn it the right way for where you want to use it.
Which is cheaper than having the locksmith just re-key the ignition or other locks to match.

@Dan Cooper Great suggestion! It never occurred to me to do that. Going to the locksmith tomorrow. I can easily mark one side of the key to identify which side I need to insert into the ignition.

Thank you so much!

RiderJoe

Just received mine in the mail. Online deal, cut to the numerical code. Good thing as my primary bent summer of '20, then second key bent, because I gave it an evil look, return from a 7,000 coasts round trip. Glad it didn't break in the northern plains.