2018 Tour of Honor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the shout out! 2018 was my best year yet doing this event and I don't know if I can repeat that level of performance. Dianne and I got the 3rd place trophy for the Mid-Atlantic region and courtesy of the Spearfish roundup we were able to knock out a bunch of memorials we might not have done otherwise. This is such an awesome event and come December 1 when registration for 2019 opens up I'll be signing up once more for the next round. For anyone not familiar with Tour of Honor please check out their website and consider participating. It''s a self guided ride your own pace event to visit military, police, first responder memorials all around the country. Very rewarding and highly educational.

Ogre, what was your final tally for 2018?

Ogre, what was your final tally for 2018?
Average.
sarcasm.gif
That is to say almost smack in the middle of everyone else although I did get a decent number of dogs. Started strong but for various reasons it was a poor mileage season this year. Even so, and to echo what you said, I really did enjoy each site visit and found myself taking a few moments at each to appreciate what I was seeing and reading. It's almost impossible not to reflect on why each one was erected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you happen to see the stuff on the Tour of Honor Facebook page about teaming up to collaborate with the Black17 production company raising funds to begin filming the war dog movie "Walking Point"? Proud to say I got to play a little part in that. The screenwriter/author of the book is the husband of a sales rep I deal with for my job. Chelsea has followed some of my Spot links and read my ride reports and sent me the link to their film making and associated stuff. I saw what I felt could be a great cooperative effort and through emails introduced them to Tour of Honor and vice versa.

Signing up again for 2019?

No, never became a fan of Facebook. (Such a shame what's happening to his stock lately
rolleyes.gif
.) Will definitely keep an eye out for the movie. Very cool that you linked them up with the ToH. And does the book go by another title? Btw, I recently finished this book which gives some nice contemporary views.

And yeah, 2019 is a good possibility.

Book is titled "Walking Point" and author is Robert Nevens. It was just available as a free Kindle download for Veteran's Day weekend so I got it then and have read it. Fictionalized account of the US Marines use of dogs on Guam near the end of WW2. Good read and I think it will make an entertaining movie. I've become friends with the author's wife as a sales rep I deal with a couple of times a year for supplies here at my job. She emailed me recently to ask for my home address and I obliged. I'm told I'm getting an autographed print copy to say thanks for helping them out. Very cool! I was just happy to connect 2 organizations I felt could mutually benefit .

Registration opens December 1.

Rider count for the upcoming 2019 TOH season is nearly 400. That's only. what, I think 12 days after registration opened. Proof is in the pudding right there on how enjoyable this rally is.

I'd have to say this past year was my most enjoyable in the TOH to date. Largely because my best friend rode with me to about 50 of the sites. Having volunteered for this years Butt Lite IX allowed us to ride for 6 great days in the beautiful SE part of the country.

Looking forward to this upcoming year.
bike.gif

^^^^ Like. Especially ...
6 great days in the beautiful SE part of the country.
Glad you enjoyed our roads and heat.
coolsmiley02.gif
Yeah that heat can kinda sneak up on ya and sap a bunch of energy out of ya while you ride. It ruined a meet-up I was really looking forward to.

Maybe on your way up to Atlanta, MN. Beer n Brats