2019-07-29 Valve Cover Gasket Test Fixture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Forums:
KrZy8

2019-07-29 Valve Cover Gasket Test Fixture

So I pooched the valve cover gasket resulting in a leak. Look by left hand side spark plug. Gap in rubber seal.

Built a 'test fixture' so I could glue gasket to cover then allow it to dry. I don't have a pic, but I placed weights on the cover to keep everything compressed while Yamabond #4 set up.

Drilled holes in 1/2" plywood to allow rubber cam caps and EGR ports to drop down allowing gasket contact to plywood.

Success! Gasket firmly glued, no loose points anywhere along contact area. Applied a little red Mobil 1 syn grease and she's ready for install.

I bet you could have glued in the scrap piece that got ripped out back in place with some silicone / RTV or semi-flexible gasket compound and called it a day, rather than replacing the entire gasket set. The top end of the FJR is under very low oil pressure. Its not even pressure at all, just some random sprinkling of oil. It doesnt take a magnificent seal to keep the earl inside.

Ive done a ton of valve checks on FJRs over the years now, and never once had one rip out like that. It may be because on the first one I usually clean the valve cover groove carefully and lay a thin bead of silicone sealer in it and glue the gasket to the cover. Nothing under the gasket including in the half moon areas. That way the gasket stays put on the cover when it comes off, and stays there when its put back on.

Nice job on the compression jig though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you could have glued in the scrap piece that got ripped out back in place with some silicone / RTV or semi-flexible gasket compound and called it a day, rather than replacing the entire gasket set. The top end of the FJR is under very low oil pressure. Its not even pressure at all, just some random sprinkling of oil. It doesnt take a magnificent seal to keep the earl inside.I was chasing an off idle stumble problem when I found the pooched gasket. I was too focused on performing a compression test, so I cut the pooched area off with a pocket knife. I know, I know...

Ive done a ton of valve checks on FJRs over the years now, and never once had one rip out like that. It may be because on the first one I usually clean the valve cover groove carefully and lay a thin bead of silicone sealer in it and glue the gasket to the cover. Nothing under the gasket including in the half moon areas. That way the gasket stays put on the cover when it comes off, and stays there when its put back on.

This is all on me. Like you, I always clean the channel real good, clean with suspension cleaner, apply Yamaha bond 4, etc etc. For some reason this time I did NOT glue the inner sections. I'm sure I drug it across when installing the cover. At the time I was frustrated, it wasn't going good, and daylight was short, remember I work outside, not inside, no lights. I should have STOPPED and gone back another day. After all, I'm retired and have time to take time now. Lesson Learned.

And this time, sans gasket, I tried various install techniques until I found the sweet method. Now I know.

Nice job on the compression jig though.

Thanks! Not bad for 5 minutes,
default_rofl.gif
Oh, for fuck's sake! Nice overkill. You need to ride more....
Doode, I ride every Wed and Saturday! You back from YourUp yet?

4th valve check coming on the 07, I used a product called RightStuff to set the gasket in the cover. It's never moved, good stuff.

I put a old style Edelbrock Performance Manifold on my son's 69 Mustang Fastback 18 years ago. Anyone familiar with the four piece gasket set up knows that the two little for & aft cork ones leak after awhile or immediately. I laid a 3/8 bead on the little s-curve in the block never a leak.

When I pulled the FJR valve cover the first time I was fighting putting it back on and the red light came on! Use Rightstuff I cleaned and carefully laid a ever so light of a coat down and gently laid the the gasket in place. The stuff is stick and feels like the same rubber compound.