29 degrees is cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Alright, I know some of you are hardcore, and ride all the time in cold weather. But this was the first time I ever rode in something this cold.

Gear worked great, except gloves. My hands have never been so freeking cold! Now I understand why people have hand guards.

And of coarse, my heated hand grips weren't working, so that didn't help.

You do get lots of funny looks from the cagers though!

Alright, I know some of you are hardcore, and ride all the time in cold weather. But this was the first time I ever rode in something this cold.
Gear worked great, except gloves. My hands have never been so freeking cold! Now I understand why people have hand guards.

And of coarse, my heated hand grips weren't working, so that didn't help.

You do get lots of funny looks from the cagers though!
It was 29 also for me when I left for work this morning. I do enjoy my morning ride to work.

Man-up, Keith! 29 degrees? Sheesh, that's a frickin' heat wave. Last year's Frosty Balls ride found a niply 14 degrees when I left the house.

But seriously, the handguards help. What kind of gloves do you have? I'm not looking real forward to this year's winter riding since I will be on the FZ with its tiny, anorexic wind protection. But I rode in anyway this morning. It was mid-to-upper twenties. Not as bad as I was fearing.

And, a lot of the cold weather riding is just getting accustomed to the temps. The more you ride when its chilly, the easier it gets.

Just don't push too hard in the twisties. Cold tires don't grip too well. BTDT.

When I was riding a naked bike it got cold when it dropped below 50F, and below 40F was a killer. With the FJR and good gear I am comfortable down to about 35F. Goos gloves make the biggest difference for me. I don't ride when it drops below freezing because I'm afraid of ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was riding a naked bike it got cold when it dropped below 50F, and below 40F was a killer. With the FJR and good gear I am comfortable down to about 35F. Goos gloves make the biggest difference for me. I don't ride when it drops below freezing because I'm afraid of ice.
Oh, if I were the type that would alter someones quote...

When I was riding a bike naked it got cold when it dropped below 50F, and below 40F was a killer. With the FJR and good gear I am comfortable down to about 35F. Goo gloves make the biggest difference for me. I don't ride when it drops below freezing because I'm afraid of ice.
I gotta be missing something..... Geezer is "altered"? :bleh:

Rancho

Alright, I know some of you are hardcore, and ride all the time in cold weather.
:D

snowplow_XX.jpg

Alright, I know some of you are hardcore, and ride all the time in cold weather.
:D

snowplow_XX.jpg
You know there's a line between hardcore and insane, and I think most of us know which side of it your on! :p

I am definately getting new gloves for christmas. Been looking at a couple different ones, hard to make up my mind, I'm going to go in to cycle gear and try a bunch on to see which ones I like best. Going to do a search and look up some reviews now.

It was 33 degrees when I left the house this morning- however still a beautiful sunny morning to ride.

I did put the Widder vest, grip heaters and hand guards to good use. I like to strecth the riding season to greatest extent possible.

No. I'm not riding naked. Though I had a friend who knew a young lady who lived in a remote place in the desert and rode a dual sport ....

I gotta be missing something..... Geezer is "altered"? :bleh:
Rancho
Maybe unusual, but not altered. :rolleyes:

Handguards do help. Mine went on this week, and what a difference. It's been 32-36 in the mornings here, and with no handguards, 1 hour was the limit even with winter gloves. With them, and the winter gloves, perfectly comfortable. Gloves are RevIt Fahrenheit. Also tried my Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves, and I like 'em but the gauntlet just isn't compatible with my jacket.

Get the handguards.

I bought a pair of the Gerbings gloves from one of the members and I can't believe how much nicer they make riding. The bulk of them kind of bothered me at first but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Now for some heated socks and I'm all set.

Are these Farenheit numbers? Geeeez!

Water turning solid, outside. (Princess Bride voice:) Inconceivable.

I don't think I would try to ride in conditions Warchild depicts. Slippery, 2 wheels, not good. I'm not going to challenge him on it, because the bike's running, has snow in the tread, I think it's in gear, clutched. But not me.

Not to worry. If I see conditions like that, then the Great Lakes will be under several hundred feet of ice again.

I was riding a naked when it got cold... it dropped below 35F. :blink: Goo makes the biggest difference for me. I don't ride when it drops below freezing because I'm afraid of frosty nuts.
Better now?

Oh it was 12 degrees this morning and calm. Tonights ride home was rather uncomfortable though 15 degrees with gusts to 20mph. Takin' the van tomorrow, single digits with strong winds predicted. :(

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb. 23:2008 90th Annual Crotona Midnight Run, Yonkers, NY

Timed event with the schedule time of 30mph! 135 miles. Had over 60 riders last year, temps got down to

SEVEN degree's!

As the flyer says, "Girlie men need not apply". There were 5 woman last year...

My friend (who won it!) called me at 2200 (run starts at midnight) he was just leaving, I looked at the temp, 10 degrees, and pulled the covers up some more...

https://www.ramapomc.org/CMR2008.pdf