4 Lessons - Costly, But Priceless

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the apparent mistake of not properly tightening the drain plug.

I get a bit of ribbing from friends because I use a torque wrench religiously. I know, it's probably ridiculous.

But one of the reasons I do so is that it becomes a more conscious effort and helps to displace any distractions that may cause me to think I tightened something when I actually did not. At least I think it does.

After "forgetting" to tighten the ABS sensor on the rear wheel prior to starting a 2k trip, I now check everything twice with the torque wrench.

You guys are making me feel more and more "totally sane" and "in control" every day.

Keep it up!
tonguesmiley.gif

Pants, I agree with your solution and would do the same thing. For a new motorcycle, as long as I had the money, I would buy a new part. If the FJR was a couple of years old I'd probably buy a used part and save the money. The only thing I would do differently (other than tightening the drain plug properly in the first place
blush2.gif
) is that I would do the work at home.

My opinion (you knew I had one) is that you are doing the right things. You made a mistake. You admitted it, you put on your big boy pants and you paid for it. That is how decent people operate.

I cannot and will not tease you over your mistake. We have all done ridiculous things and forgotten to attend to the obvious. It happens.

It is a Brand New Bike. It is Exactly What You Always Wanted. Don't put used parts on a brand new bike.

You HAVE to Fix It Now. The nagging worry of whether or not it will fail will overshadow every ride you take until it does finally go out. It may go out as you pull into your driveway. Or it may go out on Hwy 12 outside of Torrey Utah in the middle of the most wonderful motorcycle trip you ever took. The aggravation and complication of failure mid-trip and hundreds of miles from home is NOT worth it. Spend the money now or spend it later. Either way you are going to have to spend the money. Do it now, get it over with.

Last but most important to me and to Pop too, by the way. Honesty defines a person, it is one of the things that separate Men from Boys. By being honest you have simply given confirmation that you are the sort of person I want as a friend. I was always told to choose my friends wisely, in this case it seems I did so. Well done Mr. 'Pants.

Redfish and Pants will have to start a club. Membership requires messing up a brand new motorcycle before its even broken in.

Seriously, I would do the same - slap myself across the back of my head for being stupid and then go and replace the parts. I rarely buy a new vehicle of any sort but if I did, I would want it to feel new for at least a little while.

By the way, I am insanely jealous and would love to have the qualification (new MC) to join your club. My well-worn '07 is going to have to last me another couple or three years. Should have 200,000 on it by then (130,000 now).

Work all day in the yard, sweaty and tired, wife rushing you....not a good time to start working on a bike. You have to be mentally ready for that just like you do when you decide to take a ride. Neither should ever be approached casually. Good lesson and glad that plug bolt didn't hurt the other rider.

glad that plug bolt didn't hurt the other rider.
Well, I was hoping to avoid this but... The other rider was a forum member, G Squared. He just happens to be a motorcycle salesman at Friendly Yamaha.

He should have known that was a drain plug from an FJR differential. He should have caught it in one hand instead of letting it bounce off his chest and down the road. If he had been worth a damn he would have recovered the plug and returned it to its rightful owner.

If he could not catch and recover the plug he should have at least had a spare plug in his saddlebag along with a quart of the Genuine Yamaha FJR/Vmax final drive lubricant. I find he was almost useless.

Sorry G Squared. You just disappointed me greatly.
no.gif

Sorry. But on most of the riding I partake in,, I keep my bike light and lean. I did not have my side bag/parts bin with me. I'll have to find more room elsewhere on the bike to carry the Yamaha parts bin.👻

Last edited by a moderator:
Hppants,

Glad to hear that you and others were not injured by this incident.

I would have made the same repairs that you did, even on my 2008.

Torque wrench or no, here comes one quiet vote for the use of safety wire on oil plugs.

I also put a large hose clamp firmly around my oil filter, with the clamp screw located so it just touches an engine boss.

The oil filter can not unscrew then, not even by a few degrees of rotation.

I never worry about such things, on the road.

Cheers,

Infrared

What the hell is wrong with you folk from Louisiana? Your mothers and fathers brothers and sisters?

Between punting a brand new bike down the road, and trying to kill an un-killable FJR final drive youse boys got me worrying!

Pants, five years from now this will be nothing but a funny story. Ride more, stress less. (With oil in your final drive just in case you need that reminder)

You really think that a 100 mile test is proof that any old gear oil is interchangeable with the Yammy stuff? I'm not saying whether special oil is or isn't necessary but I want at least a 100k mile test followed by some wear measurements. You could probably put whipped cream in it for 100 miles.

Snackbauer - message received and most assuredly understood. I'll be torqueing my drain plugs from now on. Not sure I'll go with 34 ft pds on the oil pan plug, but it will be torqued with the proper wrench.

LowCountry - I agree with you as well. I turn 50 this year. Things are happening. I used to able to do 10 things at one time. Now, I just can't. This little episode is teaching me things well beyond the shop. Slow down. Recognize fatigue. Double (and triple check) things.

Infared - I'm intrigued. Do you cross drill your drain plug and safety wire it? How do you attach the wire to the bike? I've seen safety wire used on a "Bolt/Nut" fastener, but this is a "Bolt/Case" situation. Don't get me wrong, at this point, I'm honestly willing to hear any suggestions.

Ross/Scooter - Before we start another Louisiana Voodoo theory, let's call it a coincidence since it only appears to have happened twice. I hope it doesn't happen again to anyone.

R/H - thanks for your comments, my friend. I do agree with you - at this stage in my life, it's much less about money and much more about time. I live for my bike trips and the time I am camping in the mountains. No matter how much time I have for that, it's not enough and any stupid crap that delays or inhibits this time even for a minute is not acceptable. If I bubble gummed this shit and it dumped the bucket on a bucket list trip, I'd have some good ride report stuff, but really I'd be sorely embarrassed. Not just for killing the buzz on my own vacation, but for doing it for those that were with me. Their time is just as valuable as mine and it's just not worth a few bucks to me now. A used F/D is an option, but it's a brand new bike. There will be plenty of time for bailing wire and duct tape in about 100,000 miles - but not today.

I slept well last night on my decisions. Logistically, I'm not missing much. I'll install my farkles this weekend and the F/D should be here next week. Besides, it's so friggin hot now that riding around here isn't worth a darn anyway.

Pants, I fully agree with and support your decision to purchase a new F/D and have it installed at the dealership. Brand new bike, YES warranty, consider it an investment. I would ask for the low mileage used F/D that they remove from your bike and set it aside in case some other forum user may need one in the future. I would do the same things if I were in your shoes. Chalk it up as a life lesson and move on.

I also admire the integrity you're showing not trying to pawn it off as a warranty issue. During my years spent at a HD dealership parts counter I was always amazed at what people would try to scam us on. Karma has a way of teaching us lessons.

Thanks for the enlightening report, Mr. Pants. I once spun on a new oil filter (in a hurry) while the old filter's gasket had stuck to the block. Lost two quarts of oil before the strange sensations from the rear of the bike told me something was wrong. Sure, I was stupid, but here's the kicker: my wife was at pillion that day as she usually is. Our mistakes can be costly to ourselves and our fellow riders but when you're two-up, you have the fate of another life in your hands at all times, doubling our responsibility to be careful. I'll never forget the acute danger I put us in that day - guilt and shame reinforce the lesson. I am glad you or Gary weren't hurt and am glad Mrs. Pants wasn't along. By the way, Mrs. Sky still rides with me at every opportunity, still trusts me for some reason.

Work all day in the yard, sweaty and tired, wife rushing you....not a good time to start working on a bike. You have to be mentally ready for that just like you do when you decide to take a ride. Neither should ever be approached casually. Good lesson and glad that plug bolt didn't hurt the other rider.
I know what you're saying. You should make your wife work all day in the yard.

My God Man........

ouzswph9.jpg

I'm thinking more along the lines of

You should make your wife work all day in the yard. do maintenance on the FJR !!!!

^^^^^^Fixed it for ya^^^^^

1. As I read your post I thought your Whale-jizz argument was going the other way...like the stuff is so good it the film protected the final drive even after it drained out. I'll continue to use it for my peace of mind. If I can afford a new FJR, I can afford the tiny cost of final drive oil. No argument if you choose something else.

2. As for the dealer fixing it, most dealers would look at the final drive, examine it like you did, say it's normal and tell you to ride it. You telling them the real story would void the warranty claim.

3. Agree with going with a new drive on a new bike. I was actually surprised it was that cheap. Put it on and enjoy the bike.

Good story though. I am anal about torqueing things like that, but I sleep better at night.

Glad you both made it safe.

The Louisiana FJR Field Test Team is at it again. (Glad nobody was hurt -- including from stainless steel projectiles). Loctite that baby in place next time!
coolsmiley02.gif

I commend you once again for a wonderful ride report. Never had a doubt as to your character, sir, despite never having met you.

Latest posts