49 state '06 tank drain doesn't; allows water into gas.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
The drain to remove water from inside the fuel filler does not drain. Instead, after rain ride or washing, when I open the filler cap, accumulated water runs into the fuel.

I did a quick search here and I have the factory manual, which I will look at; but posting here might turn up issue(s) others have corrected. So I'm starting here as well as the manual.

Where is the most likely place for this drain to clog? I've pushed a slender plastic probe into the holes inside the fuel filler and I've looked at the end of one tube I see under the bike. A while ago, I lifted the tank, but I was careful setting it back down... or so I thought.

Ideas welcomed.

Next, I will look at the diagram in the manual that shows how the drain tubes are routed.

Thanks.

Oops, double post.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=101392&hl=fuel++geyser

This is the first I have ever heard of water getting into the tank, but not the first time we have seen a clogged venting system. Post 4 of that link has a link to the disassembly of the filler assembly. You can search for that stuff by Googling something like "fuel filler assembly, Site: fjrforum. I searched for filler neck or something like that. There are a bunch out there under Geyser also, because that's usually what happens when the pressure builds and cant escape a clogged system.

Pull the cap assembly off. The drain hole is probably clogged with spooge.

Here's a look at what you'll expect to see: Clicky

Also, be sure that the one bolt directly over the D (Drain) hole is a short one. If it is too long it may block the drain.

The tank vent and the overflow share the same hose going down under the bike. There's a hose tee just under the tank where the vent connection and overflow connection join together. The overflow is the connection in the front with the vent just behind. Don't know which of the two has the tee's straight line connection to the hose below?

If you disconnect the long hose going down from the tee you'll probably find your blockage.

Page 7-1 in your service manual. I believe they have hoses 4 & 6 mislabeled. I believe hose 4 is the overflow.

Thanks everyone for your helpful and quick replies. Basically, I think I did what has been suggested, but I'm going to read through thoroughly to see if I missed anything. The filler neck is surprisingly simple. The only surprise is that only 3 of the 6 hold down screws actually hold anything down. LOL But six looks more better than 3.

I did not find anything blocking the hose, but I blew air through from both ends. Maybe something was blocking it but didn't register on the visuals. If no posts from me follow, the fix worked.

Thanks again.

Not good enough, Dan. If you figure it out (from what has been suggested here or not) you still owe us the common courtesy of a follow up reply. That's just the way this help thing works around here, and a big part of what makes this place valuable.
wink.png

Now, the water drain for the cap assembly is pretty simple. I sent you a link to the pictures in my gas cap castration post, but maybe I should have written a bit more about the water drains:

In this picture, the only hole that matters to getting the water to drain from the top of the cap area is the one labelled "D" below

100_1196.jpg

If that hole is clear, and is not being obstructed by a too-long screw being in that position in the cap (it's one of the dummy screws and they are supposed to be short) then the other thing to look at is the two "slots" that allow the top of the cap to drain into the tank well area to go down that hole. Those two slots are also labelled "D" in the below shot of the bottom side of the cap assembly. Those rectangular slots, (can't really see them in the photo, but they are just inboard of the two D's below) are pretty big, so it's hard to believe that they would get plugged up, but...

100_1195.jpg

Latest posts