5500 trip and I need perform oil change at 4000 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't worry about the change of oil on just 1500 extra mile of highway cruising...

However, if you are concerned about it, you can do an oil change right before your trip and put a new filter, then you may skip replacing the filter during your trip (one less thing to worry about). Just buy the oil of your preference, then buy an "el-cheapo" pan and find a place to dispose off the used oil (can you say truck stop?). Other than that all you need is a 17mm wrench.

Also, I don't use a funnel; the oil I use comes in a bottle that can be poured directly into the bike without spilling a drop.

change when you get back. won't hurt it a bit.

for what its worth, I used yamaha nectar in my 06 for the first 12,000 (just because I was nervous) then switced to Rotella diesel. No problems.

I also heard Shell Rotella 15W-40 is good as well, but I can't get any here in Canada. Shell and Walmart on sell Rotella T for diesel.
Ummmm... that's what it is.

5W40 synthetic or 15W40 regular oil. Both are packaged and marketed for diesels. Good in y'er bike too.
So you're saying that (sorry, not trying to be ignorant) 5w-40 or 15w-40 Rotella T synthetic for diesel can also be usd in a gasoline engines like our FJR?

I also heard Shell Rotella 15W-40 is good as well, but I can't get any here in Canada. Shell and Walmart on sell Rotella T for diesel.

5W40 synthetic or 15W40 regular oil. Both are packaged and marketed for diesels. Good in y'er bike too.
So you're saying that (sorry, not trying to be ignorant) 5w-40 or 15w-40 Rotella T synthetic for diesel can also be usd in a gasoline engines like our FJR?
Correct-a-mundo. But you have the Rotellas bass-ackwards. It's the 5w40 that's the full synthetic. The 15W40 is conventional oil. Either one is fine for your bike. I also use the 5W40 synthetic in my cars, lawnmower, other motorcycles, etc. etc.

There is a really simple and 99 cent solution to your problem. Find a Jiffy Lube location mid way your destination. Stop by at Jewel or any supermarket and buy a 99 cents pan. You would also need a wrench to take the drain bolt out and screw driver to take the panel pulled. Pull on Jiffy Lube lot, drain the oil in the pan, put new oil in. Give them your old oil and continue on. Problem solved.
+1 Did my 600 mile oil change outside a WalMart on my way home from Alabama. Brought the filter and wrenches with me and bought their oil. They lent me the pan and took the old oil for free.

I've been told by a female acquaintance that she often, when on a trip, changes oil in a Walmart parking lot. She says that she ususally only gets started and then some guy will come-along and finish the job for her. She usually donates the drain-pan, etc. to the helpful guy.... ;)

Correct-a-mundo. But you have the Rotellas bass-ackwards. It's the 5w40 that's the full synthetic. The 15W40 is conventional oil. Either one is fine for your bike. I also use the 5W40 synthetic in my cars, lawnmower, other motorcycles, etc. etc.
Same here! Now everything I have runs on the 5W40 Syn. Way better than having 5 different oils around. I even put it in my diesel truck, imagine that! And a 5500 mile jaunt would be just fine with it.

Just so you know

We don't get the 5W40 Rotella Syn in Canada ( Calgary, Alberta area ) We only get the a 0W40 full syn, 10W40 Syn Blend or the 15W40 dino (non-syn)

Kawi is producing a nice ( fairly inexpesive ) fully syn 10W40 for those who care

Put it in another bike of mine and seemed like a nice oil ( made the trany really slick )

I use Motul 5100 10W40 in my bikes and have never had a problem

For those that like the Shell Products in Europe they have a line of motorcycle oils - Their Advance Line. I have contacted Shell Canada to see if it was coming to Canada and they did not think it would come here due to short season and low ridership.

This is one of the very best oils on the market in the world - would be nice to see it in North America

Later

I was told that with a wet clutch you shouldn't use synthetic, that from the dealer who sold me the bike. Good luck on the ride. I'm with the guys that say don't worry about the miles, just change before leaving and when you get back, or take the stuff to do it while on the road. The part that sucks the most is removing the fairing to keep the oil off the plastic.

I was told that with a wet clutch you shouldn't use synthetic, that from the dealer who sold me the bike. Good luck on the ride. I'm with the guys that say don't worry about the miles, just change before leaving and when you get back, or take the stuff to do it while on the road. The part that sucks the most is removing the fairing to keep the oil off the plastic.
Can you say aluminum foil?...per FJRTech article.

Just take it to a dealer thats on your route for an oil change if its going to bother you. My opinion though is that you can wait till you get back to do the change.

Whatevever oil you use (I use mobile 1 syn 4T for motorcycles with wet clutches but yamalube's fine) I would find a walmart or autoparts store and do a quick change. Probably wouldn't hurt to go the 5500 but from what I've seen I would change halfway as there's plenty of sparklys in the oil after even 2000mi. Dispose of the old oil responsibly, or leave it for someone else to. Bring disposable rubber gloves, foil, paper funnel, and a buy a 99cent tray where you get the oil. Or have it done and pay some one, but I would do it.