8 Years Gone - Tim Bates, TwoWheelNut

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2016-08-22 Tim's 8th year gone

Permalink Submitted by dcarver on Mon, 08/22/2016 - 19:05.

2016-08-22 Tim's 8th year gone

Very hard to fathom 8 years gone.

A variety of pictures showing the lack of ability we have to take a good pix. Somehow, though, Tim would like it.

Humans, check! Dog, Check! Tree? Not so much check.

Humans, check. Dog, check. Cat, check. Tree?

Hey, we tried!

I like this pix, water faucet and all..

Getting better..

This one for Tim and Jerry Garcia.. wow man....

Finally, the best of the lot.. RIP Tim Bates, we miss you.

8 years. Damn.

That puppy (tree) is getting huge! Really illustrates how much time has passed since Tim left us. Sorry again for your and the forum's loss of a pretty good dude.

It's always good to see good friends remembered, kudos Don. I wasn't fortunate to meet him, obviously my loss. R.I.P. Tim.

Wow! The tree has gotten so big! I remember signing that sign @ EOM in Lewisburg.

The sign to the left in the background was sent around the country to be signed. The front of the sign is the twisty road symbol and the back of the sign says the "Next 140 Miles", associated with Tim's avatar which is now changed. The signed sign finally ended up at the Hondarosa where it was installed next to the then sapling Tim Tree.

Goodby to good friend Tim, we had a lot of fun off the Forum.

4.jpg

Signing the sign. The twisty arrow side of the sign was signed primarily in the west and the text side of the sign was signed mostly in the east.

_DSC3610aSm.jpg

_DSC3583aSM.jpg

_DSC3587aSm.jpg

Fred W signing the sign.

LevitatingWhileWaitingtoSign.jpg

(Note the guy on the left wearing his levitation boots.)

Last edited by a moderator:
He was the first to welcome me when I went to Golden Co for the 1st NAFO and spent some time out in the lot kicking tires the next day.

I had did my first ride report the night before he passed, it was to be a two part one. Didn't finish the 2nd half as it didn't seem important anymore.

Shake someones had today, and Drink well! You never know.

DSCN0953.jpg

Ionbeam - thanks for the photos and narrative about the sign. I didn't realize that the sign went around the country or that one side was mostly signed in the west and the obverse in the east. IIRC (I don't trust my memory like I once did), the first signatures were obtained at Tim's memorial service in Goleta, CA. I don't recall which side I signed, but that was a service that won't soon be forgotten.

In particular, I remember meeting Tim's widow, Patti, at the reception dinner afterwards. Very, very hard not to like her a lot immediately, or not to remember her composure in telling several of us not to let such things as high blood pressure, etc., go unchecked or untreated. "Kind" and "gracious" are words that come most to mind. I sat next to her good friend at dinner and I'll just say that it makes you cry to know that a year later Tim and Patti were both gone if her friend's stories about them were indicative of how they were regarded by those who knew them best, and how they found one another late. I only met Tim once, a weekend in Yosemite and Mammoth, but like many, corresponded with him in PMs.

This place has never been the same since his passing, and that is hardly limited to the diminishment of the old forum tradition of dogpile Fridays without his mischievous input. RIP Tim and Patti.

Seems so damn long ago, and at the same time it seems like only yesterday.

Tim was everyone's friend here. His wit and wisdom were offered up to nearly every newb, myself included back in 2006. I'm sure the loss is even worse for those who knew him closely.

I suppose that in any extended family the passage of time is land-marked both by births and by deaths. For this forum, the births are the new members that come along, new to the FJR, all full of excitement, piss and vinegar. Unfortunately, the deaths are of the same kind on the forum as off, and we have certainly had our share of them.

I hope that Tim, and Andrew, and Cole, and Don and all the others that I'm forgetting will approve of what we've done with their forum when we meet again.