9.17-amps is a 10-amp fuse enough? (FF50)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bang-n-gearz

Reaction score
In process of installing FF50 lights. Gathering parts, and only intend on running accessories on switched power, and only have in mind my Hella FF50's, radar detector via 12 volt accessory plug, and Datel meter.

I am looking at buying a fuzeblock FZ-1 as it has an intergrated relay etc.

QUESTION; if my two 50-watt lamps draw 9.17 amps is a 10-amp fuse for that one cirucit going to be enough? I mean on paper yes, but it's close and would you use a larger fuse?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to sort through all of this, I have no intentions of running really anything else regarding accessories.

Buck

Dallas, TX

In process of installing FF50 lights. Gathering parts, and only intend on running accessories on switched power, and only have in mind my Hella FF50's, radar detector via 12 volt accessory plug, and Datel meter.
I am looking at buying a fuzeblock FZ-1 as it has an intergrated relay etc.

QUESTION; if my two 50-watt lamps draw 9.17 amps is a 10-amp fuse for that one cirucit going to be enough? I mean on paper yes, but it's close and would you use a larger fuse?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just trying to sort through all of this, I have no intentions of running really anything else regarding accessories.

Buck

Dallas, TX
If you have the FF50 lights, they should have come with a wiring harness - which includes a fused relay. That relay is fused at 15 amps, which is the size you should use.

A good rule of thumb is to fuse at double the amps of the draw.

Do I even need a fuse block?

If my FF50 come with in-line fuse, and relay, can I just purchase another relay and use it for my 12 volt accessory plug and datel meter? Utilizing an inline fuse for both of them, those two accessories being on one circuit?

Kind of over kill for the limited amount of accessories to even consider a power block I think... I am mentally and electrically challenged by the way.

man I appreciate ya'll's help

Buck

Dls.TX

www.easternbeaver.com

I was visiting above web-site and it has a 3 circuit set up I think I might use. Since my total accessories I am going to use is three (3)

Buck

Do I even need a fuse block?
If my FF50 come with in-line fuse, and relay, can I just purchase another relay and use it for my 12 volt accessory plug and datel meter? Utilizing an inline fuse for both of them, those two accessories being on one circuit?

Kind of over kill for the limited amount of accessories to even consider a power block I think... I am mentally and electrically challenged by the way.

man I appreciate ya'll's help

Buck

Dls.TX

That's what I did. Just wire the Hella's directly from the battery. No need to run wires through the engine area where they are suject to all that heat.

You probably want a single circuit for the datel to keep it electrically 'clean' for maximum accuracy. No relay in the circuit.

For the accessory plug, it depends on what you plan to plug into it and if you want it to be switched power or always on. If you want it to be always on you can wire it directly to the battery with a fuse and use wire heavy enough for your appliance with the biggest load. If you want it on only with the key on then you need a relay.

Fuse rule

Steady state current draw x 1.41 = Minimum (fast blow) fuse rating

Sounds like the 15 amp is perfect.