A 2007 FJR1300A is finally going to be in my garage!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the fold. I must appauld your taste as you have chosen the finest year for color! There are quite a few of us from the VA/WV area that ride regularly. Keep your eyes on the southeast forum section. Getting close to regular riding season. Take a look at wheaties May camping trip. First sizzable get together in this area. Would be a great opportunity to meet many from the forum.

I will be flying into San Antonio. The current owner is going to pick me up at the airport. I will be passing thru Austin on my way to Lake Charles, LA. Thanks for the offer, I can't think of any assistance needed at this point.
I'm assuming you meant Houston not Austin since you said I-10. A hill country ride would be bit out of the way - definitely a worthy side trip, but not on your time line.

I did the reverse route on my fly & buy. I flew to Atlanta and rode back to Houston. Check out Highway 90 from New Orleans to Biloxi, MS. It adds about 20 mins vs. the highway, but scenery is 100x better. You can also use 90 west of New Orleans...not as pretty as the other stretch, but a lot less traffic than I-10. My other tip is to avoid driving through Houston anytime close to rush hour during the week.

I'm on the FJR assistance list. Make sure to get it before a big trip. Get in touch with me if you need anything. Congrats on the new bike!!!
Yeah, it is Houston not Austin that I will be going through. I just sent an email to [email protected] to request this list. I had never heard of it before. It appears this is the current email address to request this information, if it is not please point me in the right direction.

I will probably be hitting Houston around 3 to 4 in the afternoon. Would you avoid it during this time period? If so, what alternate route would you suggest?

Thanks
Neil,

Congrats, looks like your patience paid off. A great bike and all the bells and whistles!! Good man. Enjoy maiden voyage,

take your time!! If you ever get close to Asheville, let me.

I just confirmed the pending sale of a 2007 FJR1300A with the seller and booked my flight.
Here are the details of what I am getting:

13000 miles

Sliders

Corbin seat

Givi V46 top case with luggage rack

Two Arai helmets wired with JM Corp elite headsets

JM Corp CB2003

Zumo 550 cradle with XM radio antenna puck

Highway pegs

Custom fitting cover

Flashing light modulator

Flashing taillight modulator

V Stream wind screen

Mount for video camera

Custom rear peg mount for camelbac cooler

Heated grips

1 inch risers

Throttlemeister

Brand new Michelin PR2 rear tire

Custom striping

The agreed purchase price for all this was $8000. I am flying from Virginia to Texas the end of this month and riding her back. I plan to take 3 days to return, so we can get to know each other.

I have been on this forum for years and have learned alot of information from it. Reading the passion that you have towards your FJR's is one of the reason I decided to take the plunge.

I plan to take interstate 10 out of Texas to Lake Charles, LA on the first day. Then I will head towards Atlanta, GA on the second day to stay with friends. I hope to make it the rest of the way home the third day.

I have been saddleless for a little over 2 years. My previous bike was a Honda Shadow Aero 750. This is the only motorcycle I have ridden. I hope that I am not taking on too tall of a task of riding 1400 miles in 3 days, after just picking up the bike.

I would love to hear any insight or comments about the bike I have committed to purchasing.

I just pray for dry weather. I look forward to posting my ride report and impressions upon my return.

Thanks
I agree with the others, you found a great deal. plus it's the best time of the year. I think if you rode the Honda any distance then the FJR will be a breeze. I'm 64 yrs old (brag-LOL) and finished a round trip to Key West Fl. from Houston a few months ago . Many days were over 500 miles back to back with no problems. ( aleve helps ). You will love this bike.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the FJR with all the extras your getting. Congratulations, you will love the bike. The power can be a handful as others have mentioned but it doesn't bite, just there when you want it. I think the throttlemeister may be your best friend on a trek that long. The seating position is going to be way different than you are used to as it involves more of your core muscles than does a cruiser. Ibuprofen can be quite useful but be careful if you are one of those people who get a little dulled by it. Don't push yourself too hard and take plenty of breaks and you should be fine. Oh, and make sure you have a good rain suit, I wear Frogg Toggs and they are outstanding. The feej handles rain very well.

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It sounds like a definetly need to take some Aleve along with me and ride like a Yoda!!!

I will take it easy and take plenty of breaks. I have rain gear and winter gear that I will be taking with me.

I just hope I don't drop the bike pulling out of the guys driveway. :unsure: I am sure once I get underway, I will settle into things.

Again, Thanks

Where's the fun in buying a bike already farkled?

I call, "NO FAIR!"

I mean...er...uhm...lookie at all the teasing and dead end alleys we don't get to "share" with you!

:clapping: Congratulations! :clapping:

Have great ride home...stop and smell the roses.

Try to keep it under 140. Since I started using the master Yoda, I have not had much back or tailbone pain. Knee pain is a different story, Aleve does help. I have had several different bikes over the years, and I can say the FJR is the most fun, sport bike performance in a pretty comfortable package.

Sweet! I still remember the feeling the day I went to pick up my bike. Reading your post brought back some of that.

Congrats and enjoy your ride!

It sounds like a definetly need to take some Aleve along with me and ride like a Yoda!!!
Yep, and yep - good idears right there.

I will take it easy and take plenty of breaks. I have rain gear and winter gear that I will be taking with me.
Also good idears. As another suggestion, are you familiar with LD Comfort undergarments? LD Comfort clicky. If you have not, I - and others - highly recommend their stuff for long rides.

I just hope I don't drop the bike pulling out of the guys driveway. :unsure: I am sure once I get underway, I will settle into things.
Remember - slow and easy wins the game. I'd been riding cruisers for 10 years when I bought my Feej and it's nothing like a cruiser. Out of curiosity, have you test-ridden one yet? Anyway, just take it easy, don't go crazy (right away, anyway) and you'll be fine.

Congrats, and try to get some sleep between now and your fly-n-ride, mm-kay? :rolleyes:

It sounds like a definetly need to take some Aleve along with me and ride like a Yoda!!!
Yep, and yep - good idears right there.

Also good idears. As another suggestion, are you familiar with LD Comfort undergarments? LD Comfort clicky. If you have not, I - and others - highly recommend their stuff for long rides.

Remember - slow and easy wins the game. I'd been riding cruisers for 10 years when I bought my Feej and it's nothing like a cruiser. Out of curiosity, have you test-ridden one yet? Anyway, just take it easy, don't go crazy (right away, anyway) and you'll be fine.

Congrats, and try to get some sleep between now and your fly-n-ride, mm-kay? :rolleyes:
The LD comfort undergarments appear to be similar to under armour. If that is the case, I some of that.

I have not had an opportunity to test ride an FJR. I would hate to drop a bike period, but especially if it does not belong to me. As you said, I am just going to start out slow and easy and if I can't make it back in 3 days, then I will get back when I get back.

You would have had a shorter trip and a newer bike if you would have bought mine. I live near Lake Charles. I rode mine yesterday to keep the battery up and its still a smashing ride. Just jolly good fun you know.

You would have had a shorter trip and a newer bike if you would have bought mine. I live near Lake Charles. I rode mine yesterday to keep the battery up and its still a smashing ride. Just jolly good fun you know.
True, if I did buy your bike it would be a shorter trip, but your bike is black. I like the tast of black cherry. :yahoo:

Wow, a winning trifecta! Best bike, best color, and a neat trip right out of the box. Not only that, but Team America: World Police is one funny movie. Good luck, you've gotten plenty of good advice to make your trip a success.

Wow, a winning trifecta! Best bike, best color, and a neat trip right out of the box. Not only that, but Team America: World Police is one funny movie. Good luck, you've gotten plenty of good advice to make your trip a success.
+1 on the bike and the trip AND the movie. I still wiggle my hands from left to right whenever I am in an emergency situation and in need of help, even if I'm not sitting on the back of a jeep getting shot at by AKs and bazookas ... :lol: Before I saw this flick I never thought a "puppet" movie could be this good or create this kind of lasting impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna love the new ride..........after riding the Shadow this thing will feel like a cruise missile......now here's the other accesory the guy didn't have.......https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/menshort.ht...CFQaiagodlHiHyQ

Being a mountain biker as well, I do have a few pair of shorts with padding in just the right places. :unsure:

Does it make a big difference on a motorcycle? Should I wear them? How many people wear padded under shorts on a motorcycle?

Does it make a big difference on a motorcycle?
Yes

Should I wear them?
Yes

How many people wear padded under shorts on a motorcycle?
Lots and lots and lots and lots. And one more when you climb aboard "The Enhanced-Undwear Express."

Well then that settles it........sign me up. I will wear my padded rumpus shorts. I probably would of never thought of this on my own. Thanks for the insight.

Congrats, 807,

I live in Austin and have ridden all over Texas. I'm gonna offer some unsolicited advice for your trip home. Sure, I-10 is going to be faster, but you will not enjoy taking it through Houston. If you go I-10, you will pass the busiest intersection in the country - I-10 and 610. After that the trip along I-10 into LA is not so pretty (however, you can stop for some food cajun food in southern LA).

I would suggest you take a more northern route. The northeast part of texas is very nice - lots of large pine trees. Look for cities lke Paris, Texas and Tyler as landmarks. I would head northeast from San Antonio toward Texarkana and into southern Arkansas. Arkansas is one of the most beautiful riding states for motorcycles - great roads and great scenery. Then you can head east through central Mississippi, Alabama and into Atlanta. If it were me, I'd parallel I-20, but ride north of it on secondary roads.

I'm not sure if you can get the seller's Zumo for an extra fee. But if you use a GPS, you will have no worries about getting lost. It makes the trip so much more enjoyable because it allows you to enjoy secondary roads without fear of taking a wrong turn.

I hope i didn't butt in. Any way you ride, I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously.

And the advice about advil is good advice. A sore butt is coming. Stop every hour for a photo op so you can post a ride report.

Congrats, 807,
I live in Austin and have ridden all over Texas. I'm gonna offer some unsolicited advice for your trip home. Sure, I-10 is going to be faster, but you will not enjoy taking it through Houston. If you go I-10, you will pass the busiest intersection in the country - I-10 and 610. After that the trip along I-10 into LA is not so pretty (however, you can stop for some food cajun food in southern LA).

I would suggest you take a more northern route. The northeast part of texas is very nice - lots of large pine trees. Look for cities lke Paris, Texas and Tyler as landmarks. I would head northeast from San Antonio toward Texarkana and into southern Arkansas. Arkansas is one of the most beautiful riding states for motorcycles - great roads and great scenery. Then you can head east through central Mississippi, Alabama and into Atlanta. If it were me, I'd parallel I-20, but ride north of it on secondary roads.

I'm not sure if you can get the seller's Zumo for an extra fee. But if you use a GPS, you will have no worries about getting lost. It makes the trip so much more enjoyable because it allows you to enjoy secondary roads without fear of taking a wrong turn.

I hope i didn't butt in. Any way you ride, I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously.

And the advice about advil is good advice. A sore butt is coming. Stop every hour for a photo op so you can post a ride report.
I totally agree with Texan, avoid Houston and Atlanta.