A Christmas Wish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good thing to do. I remember being overseas at Christmas, so far away from home and family, gets kinda lonely.

Also good to see you are alive and well.

Wow. Great find Rad - done deal.

Thank You - and the best to you, and Thank You for your service too.

Thanks to you all-nice to be remembered. This is a good thing you do-with all the B.S. going regarding the Middle East, it's nice to remember that there are real Americans fighting for us there-not just numbers or political fodder. They will, I believe, appreciate this small kindness.

It's a good thing to do. I'm in.

I'm reading a very good book about the war in Afghanistan--called War, appropriately enough, by a journalist who was embedded there for a year, Sebastian Junger (also wrote The Perfect Storm). Happens I just read a bit about some of the guys going home on leave. One soldier was walking through an airport in Texas to get to a flight and some businessman got up and gave him his boarding pass--just switched with him. The soldier got to ride up in First Class and drink champagne. Cool thing to do.

It also mentioned the care packages--and who doesn't like to open packages? They have long periods of mind-numbing boredom between those other periods of much worse. You may not think it would mean much, doing something like this, but it does. Things like this make a real impression.

The other way, too. I was in Yellowstone Park a few years ago and got talking to a pair of Good Ol' Boys from Alabama riding tricked-out Gold Wing trikes. We were talking about where we'd been, what we'd seen. I said they should see Yosemite. One of them about spit on the ground and said he swore he'd never set his foot in California again in his life, based on the b.s. reception he'd had from the locals in S.F. airport coming back from Vietnam. I didn't even live in California then, but it made me feel pretty bad about my adopted state. Point is, I'd rather leave a good feeling with guys we owe so much to than a bad one.

You're right about the packages, loved getting those.

True by the time they got to us the cookies where reduced to crumbs and dust, but it was the best tasting crumbs and dust you every had.

And best of all Kool-Aid, you've never tasted bad tasting water till you've had it from an Army water treatment plant. Kool-Aid was gold!

But most of all the packages told us the people still cared.

RVN

67-68

Yep, any letter or package from the "world" was welcome. You learned real fast, in order to get letters and packages you had to write letters. The holidays were always the worst, the married guys carried on with their families, but us single guys had more time off and not much to do. Suprised my liver has lasted this long.

Latest posts