A garage mate for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer Reamer

Death Before Disco
Reaction score
Unexpectedly large picture:

Kawasaki_Ninja_1000_2011-6.jpg

This is a brand new bike that has been released to the US market this year, built along side the Z1000. A capable touring bike but on the sportier side of things. Had to have it, sure didn't need it. I have owned it just for one day now and have 235 boring break-in miles on it. There are a gazillion articles on this ride, but this one does a good job of capturing the essence: Descriptive PDF

Very upright seating position, adjustable wind screen, 5 gallon tank, hard luggage coming soon. Gobs of torque.

I feel better now that the FJR has a friend in the garage. I will use the new ride for commutes and one-up riding while the FJR will continue to be the bike of choice for two-up riding (which is all my weekend/vacation riding).

George made me do it.

David,

Congrats on your new ride, looks nice. You know your going to have to let the PNW crew test ride it to make sure it's good enough for you to keep. I take it you won't need the FZ1 manual.. :D

BR Congratulations on the new bike,very nice indeed. :D .A great addition to the garage

I think the first farkle needs to be a radar detector,hopefully then you will have at least a small chance of keeping your license. :unsure:

DB

This bike is tres cool. I sit on it every time I go to a Kawi dealer. Probably would have one, too, if it had ABS. So, I guess my pocketbook is lucky it doesn't... Anyhow, congrats - and feed us more info when you get some long trips on it.

BTW, not sure if you saw the MCN review on this, but they loved it so much they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

My buddy Craig just brought his back from a dealer in Staten Island ($4000 cheaper in the states!). Went for a ride last Saturday with him. Nice bike, really nice. Smaller than it appears in pictures though. Enjoy! Sweet ride!

Poor George, gets blamed for everything. Enjoy David very cool, do I get to sit on it?

I promise I won't hug you first. Knuckles or a peck on the check, your choice!

There was just this one problem I had to ask the dealer about...it had this lever on the left hand grip. I found the other two brake levers where they were supposed to be so was confused for awhile. Dealer was unsure about letting me leave once he explained what that old fashioned technology was all about.

Congrats on the new ride BReamer! Hope you're able to figure out that extra lever...wouldn't want you to loose too much sleep! :lol:

Nice, can I ride it before Panman though? ;)

--G

There was just this one problem I had to ask the dealer about...it had this lever on the left hand grip. I found the other two brake levers where they were supposed to be so was confused for awhile. Dealer was unsure about letting me leave once he explained what that old fashioned technology was all about.

It will be funny when you find yourself reaching for the left hand lever on the FJR after riding the kawi :lol:

Nice wheels, David. And +1 on the radar!! Bike like that gonna get you in trouble real soon.

I have had a few days to mess around with it, but haven't taken it out to the twistiest of roads yet. Even though it still weighs in at 500lbs, it is shockingly nimble and light. It does take much more throttle control to be smooth and as reported...it pulls well awesome in any gear and from any RPM.

The biggest thing I notice is that what now feels like a comfortable cruising speed on a local suburban road is WAY faster than you need to be traveling. You think you are just crawling along on a 30MPH road and look down to see 55 on the speedo. Will have to figure that out...