A Ride Fit for 3 Kings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great report and trip. I've done several rides through the part of Arkansas that is the rectangle bounded by Ozark, Rogers, Bull Shoals and Conway. Somehow I thought the good riding was all north of I 40. I guess I was way wrong. Next summer if I have time I'll have to check out that part of the state.

Every trip I take has your "I don't know where I'm going to stay each night plan to it. For twenty years I took cage vacations with my ex-wife and she'd never tolerate that concept. When I got divorced (ten years ago), started riding and exploring America, I figured this is my opportunity to live that way. It does open up all your opportunities.

Somewhere in the spring I need to make the bike round trip from Chicago to California again and each time I make that trip I leave Chicago with the objective to end up in San Diego about five days later or leave San Diego with the objective to get to Chicago about five days later. If the trip is very late or very early in the season then crossing Missouri into Arkansas becomes a part of the trip with a good dose of those mountains built in. Each time I figured the good riding was done around Fort Smith and just got on I 40 west to make some time through Oklahoma and Texas and or New Mexico. I guess if I'm half way smart I'm going to have to meander my way further south in Arkansas and find my way into Texas down near Texarkana.

Gurock, keep on going south to Austin and hit you some Texas Hill Country while you are at it. Then maybe further south and experience Big Bend.
biggrin.png
I still need to get down there.

Agree with Gixxerjasen - In Arkansas below I-40, the riding is not quite as technical, but it's still very good and the scenery is definitely very good in the Ouachitta Mountains.

Depending on where you hit I-40 (say Russelville or Clarksville), and given you ultimate destination, I'd recommend:

Hwy 309 south through Mt. Magazine.

At Danville, take hwy 27 to Hwy 28 down to Boles, Ar.

Run Hwy 71 for a few miles into Mena

Take the Talemena scenic highway west Into Oklahoma.

Turn south on Hwy 259 into Broken Bow.

(essentially the reverse of what I did on this trip - day 2-3)

From Broken Bow, you should meander to the hill country and ride the 3 sisters for a stint.

Of course, as I write this, it occurs to me that it sounds an awful lot like planning.....

Last edited by a moderator: