A Ride in the Rain with Redfish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfish Hunter

Gone Fishing
Reaction score
I do not like to post every insignificant little ride I take but it is winter and this one was interesting, so...

I needed to check out a campground for a possible upcoming weekend trip. I checked the Weather Channel and it was not good. I was surrounded by rain, more rain was coming, there was a possibility of tornados, and the wind was terrible. It was best to either stay home or drive the truck. Of course, I called Pop.

"You want to ride over 200 miles just to look at a possible RV site? Have you checked the weather?" Pop asked. His next line was, "I'll be ready when you get here." Gotta love Pop.

When I got to his house the sky was a miserable gray with darker gray clouds skidding across it. It was obvious that today was not a great day for a ride.

The bike before it got dirty:

We set off and avoided the Interstate completely. I kept us to the least traveled backroads I could find but eventually the rain found us. We pulled under an unused cover in Amite Louisiana to put on our rain gear.

I put my faith in my Firstgear Jaunt jacket and Tourmaster overpants because they are both advertised as being waterproof. Pop went with his Tourmaster two piece rainsuit and we set off into the light rain.

Our destination was:

We found a few nice spots here and there:

Note the azaleas starting to bloom in the right side of the pic:

We rode around the park checking out the facilities and saturating our rain gear:

And then the rain came with a vengeance. We were prepared as best we could be and were both confident in our gear. Our gear failed miserably. We were both soaked under our riding gear but at least the temps were mild. Our 73 degree day dropped to 60 degrees but we were okay for a while. Even a stinging hail storm as we plodded through the little town of Springfield at 27 mph in a 35 zone did not dampen our spirits.

But, when I got home I discovered that the waterproof pockets of my waterproof FirstGear Jaunt were not really waterproof. My wallet was swimming in the right hand pocket. My iPhone6 in its supposedly waterproof LifeProof Case was NOT swimming. It had already drowned. In case no one knew this, a new iPhone 6s retails for about $650. My left Tourmaster boot leaked badly. The right one stayed pretty dry at least. Only my head in the Shoei and my back stayed dry. Everything else was soaked.

As I whined to Pop this evening on my brand new iPhone he asked me, "Well did you enjoy your ride?" I answered yes. He told me, "I had a hell of a good ride. My gear got tested and it failed. Everything I had leaked. But I would do it again right now."

Pop is awesome. And speaking of awesome, both bikes performed without a hiccup.

All that storage and you carried a $650 electronic device in your pocket? Dang man. Dang.

That's all I got on that subject.

On the other hand, side by side, the new models do look quite badass.

IMG_2226_zpswo7g5klk.jpg

Is your dad taking a pee?

Last edited by a moderator:
First, if I had any concern about the LifeProof's water resistance, I would not have hesitated to tuck it into the hard luggage. It and the jacket had always been waterproof before.

Second, no. Dad is NOT taking a pee in the photo. He is looking at the little stream and the animal tracks along its shore.

Ahhh, I was thinking this was a first test kind of thing. I still don't trust that stuff with my electronics. Into a case it goes regardless.

In Colorado I had my tankbag packed full of electronics and first sign of rain I pack it up and stick it in the topbox. That included my phone which hung out in there on the three port usb charger with my ipod and sena stuff. Tankbag made it all easy to get to and easy to pack up.

Did the case have a crack or something? Have you determined the point of failure?

Nice ride report. Ah you can report the insignificant rides too. I am sure nobody here on the forum will complain.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear about your phone. I don't trust ride gear with built in rain protection, although I own some of that stuff and I have had mixed results. I wear a rain jacket over my riding jacket.

Nice report. Good to see you prepared to set off, knowing it will rain. There are many who wouldn't!

With the temperatures I often ride in, getting wet would be intolerable. I have always used two-piece textile lined riding suits. My first were Triumph brand, with a waterproof lining ("Sympatex"?). Later, I've always used Gore-tex lined suits. They last several years being completely rain-proof (provided they are done up properly
tonguesmiley.gif
), but on a long day in the rain I do get a wet neck.

Usually they fail in the seat of the pants, then it's time to replace them. (The spray-on or wash-in stuff helps a little, but doesn't last more than a few rides.)

Best care for a Gore-tex or similar suit is to wash it once or twice a year (read the instructions), stops the pores clogging and wicking water through.

Far from insignificant. I read your ride reports with envy for the relationship you have with Pop, and a hope that I will be able to have something similar with my son. Thanks for taking us along.

Those two have quite a unique bond - even for a father/son duo. The senior gentlemen is one cool dude. He graduated decades ago with honors from the University of Hard Knocks. When he speaks, it is worth listening to.

Disappointed to hear about the failure of the lifeproof case. Guess I won't be counting on mine to perform as advertised. Shocker.

I'd rather not go looking for the rain on the bike. IF I find it, then so be it. Sometimes in the summer, it's so freaking hot that an afternoon shower is a welcome experience. The part I hate most is the GETTING wet, like at the beginning. If I'm 95% dry while riding, and that one little spot starts leaking, that really churns my butter. The second spot just as bad. By the time the 4th spot comes on, I'm starting to accept it. Then once I'm fully soaked, as long as I'm not too cold, it's really not that bad for me.

At that park, are the tent sites separate from the greater RV metropolis?

+1 with LittleJon. I, too, am envious of your relationship with your Dad. Mine traded our Honda 305 Superhawk for a 'big' Triumph TR6 650 while I was away in my first year of college way back in the late 60's. Would he be lovin' my Gen 1? Oh ya!

Enjoyed your report. Thx

gixxerjasen posted: All that storage and you carried a $650 electronic device in your pocket? Dang man. Dang.
I've thought about this a lot. A lot.

Ever since my iPhone 5 got drowned, I've carried my phone in the top box -- a Pelican case that's waterproof and probably a whole lot more. But I'm thinking, "What if the shit hits the fan, and I go sliding in a different direction than the bike?" Well, it would be 'convenient' to have the phone in a pocket so I could get to it without having to get up and walk. (I often imagine worst-case scenarios.)

But the phone stays in the box because I know it would likely survive sliding, bouncing, and smacking into stuff inside the cushioned box. Same with my wallet and house keys. In essence, nothing is in my pockets that might impair a slide, and stab me or start me bouncing.

As for rain gear, Redfish Hunter, it's damn near impossible to stay completely dry. Lucky we live in the Southland where rain gear really serves to regulate your body temperature underneath your soaked clothing.

Uncle Hud,

There's DEEP discussion about SPOT devices and that thinking. On one hand, having it mounted to the bike means it could survive a crash better, but would be separated from you. If you have it on you, then you are likely to destroy it on the fall/roll, but it'd be within reach of course. Phones are no different and you have to decide which way you want to roll the dice.

I can tell you this though. My first bad crash, I had a set of keys in my pants pocket. They left the absolute nastiest ugliest bruise I've ever seen. You know, the ones with multiple colors besides just purple? It was ugly and painful, but I was lucky it was just a bruise.

no such thing as waterproof, especially in torrential downpours that the Gulf Coast is famous for. Even a rubberized rain gear set cannot withstand it. That is all.
bike.gif

I am envious to say the least, I lost my dad in 2000. I read your reports with lots of green envy, wish I could have a great ride in the rain with him again.

Just enjoy it, every day.

And share.

Redfish, yes I'm green with envy. I'd give anything to have my pop back as he passed in 2012.

I keep my phone (I phone 5s) in an Otterbox and in the vest pocket of my Firstgear Kathmandu. In a crash on I 90 about five years ago on I 90 also in the rain the I phone was in the pocket of my cheesy Tourmaster Defender rain pants in an Otterbox. During the crash the rain pants shredded and the phone went bouncing around on the wet pavement at 65 MPH. After I stopped and saw I was alive and relatively unhurt, I found the Otterbox on the pavement with the phone still resting perfectly in it. The phone was fine, so I've had faith in Otterbox.

First of all, thank you all for your kind words. I tell Pop that if he we ever make it to an FJR event he will be a celebrity because I try to make him the main character in my stories Ride Reports.

I am sure it will not surprise any of you that I inspected the LifeProof case upon disassembly. It was immediately obvious that the gasket had jumped out of its groove leaving no seal on the bottom end of the case. I cannot explain how that happened, it may have been that I was not careful enough the last time I snapped it together after cleaning. This is the first failure I had with the LifeProof and I have been using them for several years now. I get things wet a lot. The LifeProof has always worked.

Our raingear leaked at the crotch area due to standing water that pooled up on the seat in front of... You know what I am trying to say. We have extensive experience with both good and bad gear from a lifetime on boats, in the woods, on the job, and on motorcycles. I was not surprised or upset with my failures. Pop was very disappointed because he actually paid decent money for his TourMaster suit. He has the upscale version and it failed pretty miserably.

I will also mention that Pop has a terrible time getting his rainpants on over his boots. The lining bunches up and then catches in the lower leg zippers. Usually I end up on my knees getting the bottom of the legs straight for him. It is nearly impossible for him to put the britches on by himself on the side of the road. He either needs help or he needs a dry place to sit and fight with them. I WILL be addressing this situation soon.

Looking over the pics I am very pleased with how good my '15 ES looks. Honestly, I still think Dad's '07 is the better looking bike. I cannot and will not try to explain how it swells my heart to see that bike in my mirror as we ride.

Lastly, I promise you folks that I am fully aware of how fortunate I am to have Dear Old Dad. I never take him for granted. I knew fully well the weather was going to be bad and I was reluctant to call Pop. I knew that he would say yes and I always worry when I lead him off on some stupid adventure. But I feel worse if I leave him at home.

When I was a child my father made a promise that he would never leave me standing in the driveway when he left with the boat to go fishing. The least I can do is to return that loyalty. He damn well earned that much.