A Windshield Odyssey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I didn't go to the depths that Aasland did, I think I may have lucked out. CalSci medium with Rifle Tuning Block. Very little turbulence up or down, good airflow down (REALLY good), good blockage when all the way up, doesn't look to bad. I'd buy another. The tuning block really transforms a 'good' windshield into a great windshield in this case.
I have the same setup as Bungie, fairly happy with the extremes although when fully down, the Mrs. complains she feels like a bobble head doll due to helmet turbulence. In a perfect world, I would like to have more airflow in the down position and a tad bit more up to get rid of that little bit of buffeting that I still get at the top of my Shoei RF1100. I'm just about done spending $ on plastic so this will have to do, although the Cal-Sci Shorty looks interesting.....

Just tried to install the Calsci tinted shorty. Unfortunately the top two screw holes do not line up with my W bracket. They are half a hole off. No matter how much I fiddled with loosening the other bolts they would not line up. I double checked and yes, I did order the proper model for my '05. I am currently running a Cee Bailey's tinted +2 high +0 wide. But I was hoping to reduce the buffeting (which isn't TOO bad). I've got to say though that the quality of the Cee Bailey's is MUCH better. Material is 50% thicker. Smoke tint looks better. Edges are nicely rounded and polished. And of course the holes line up. On the Calsci the edges were basically unfinished, all the saw marks remaining (or waterjet... whatever). There was also a small chip in the edge right at the top where it would be visible at all times. Too bad that I couldn't even give it a test run. Not sure I would have kept it on due to the crappy edge finish though.

Jet

Aasland

If you happen to be up in Minneapllis sometime, with advance notice, I could let you throw my Rifle on for comparison. I also have a Cee Baily shorty

that I use around town and would be curious to see what you think of these in comparison to all the rest you have tested.

Obviously the Rifle is not as attractive as others but it works for me when doing 1000+ mile days.

Ya, the cal-sci has a completely unfinished edge. Degrades what is otherwise a nice shield.

I took a fine file to mine and smoothed it out, then sanded the edge with 400, then 800, then some Auto-sol. Fixed it right up, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Aasland
If you happen to be up in Minneapllis sometime, with advance notice, I could let you throw my Rifle on for comparison. I also have a Cee Baily shorty

that I use around town and would be curious to see what you think of these in comparison to all the rest you have tested.

Obviously the Rifle is not as attractive as others but it works for me when doing 1000+ mile days.
Thanks for the offer! I will keep it in mind!

Anyone had any luck polishing micro scratches out of stock windshield? I've tried several things and nothing seems to work as the plexiglass is very soft..

Thanks

Anyone had any luck polishing micro scratches out of stock windshield? I've tried several things and nothing seems to work as the plexiglass is very soft..Thanks
Unfortunately nothing can remove scratches from the stock windshield!Don't try it!It is polycarbonate and has a hard coat on.It can scratch very difficult but if,nothing can remove them.I tried several times to remove them from my stock windshield without luck,also it is very easy to damage this hard coat with the chemicals.Here is the reply from Novus:

Thank you for your inquiry from our website. Normally if the windshield is coated you will have a tough time trying to get the scratches out if it has a protective film. We don’t recommended our polishes for coated surfaces and if you do use it to try in an inconspicuous area. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Again,

Dean Trocke

NOVUS Polishes