A Windshield Odyssey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aasland

Depleted
Reaction score
I've got posts all over the place (i.e. I've done some hijacking :rolleyes: ) on these issues so I figure I'll put them all this information in one place for the benefit of adding to the forum's giant pool of knowledge.

Ever since getting my FJR I have been bothered by the excessive noise and turbulence coming off the windshield. One of the reasons the FJR appealed to me over the VFR I came off of is the weather protection, which serves to extend our Minnesota riding season. I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam. Helmet is the super-quiet Bell RS-1. All riding is done with an Aerostich in Minnesota so heat and humidity play a role.

These are the goals I am trying to achieve:

Reduced turbulence

Turbulence is a huge factor. It is fatiguing and it's existence is a "make or break" issue on any motorcycle. The VFR and SV650 had no turbulence; the wife's 1995 Magna's Memphis Shade and my dad's DL650 w/stock windscreen had the effect of being hit by hammers.

Reduced wind noise

I ride with communications stuff and listen to music and podcasts when not in the twisty's. This is what it takes for me to get out of the midwest without experiencing extreme boredom. Windnoise on the VFR was low enough that any earplug would do; custom-molded Challengers worked great until they failed and Precision Labs have lost the ability to make useful molds. Etymotic's ER6i with Sebotek tips worked great until they fall off and get stuck in my ears, or just become uncomfortable. My ear canals are not round and comfort is difficult .. and they didn't always seal up. Thus, custom molds are necessary. Now I have Westone CR1's which fit great but only attenuate to 25 NRR .. which is not enough with the stock FJR shield. 33 NRR earplugs block much of the windnoise, but prevent me from being able to understand anyone, hear traffic around me, or even Sena speakers pressed up to my ears ... when sitting at the desk. Ideally I would reduce the wind noise enough to get custom 20'ish NRR musicians earplugs (like the Westone Style 49) which drops the wind noise but still lets me hear the Sena speakers, traffic, and understand people around me. I am willing to give up some musical fidelity for the convenience of no wires. My second choice is to use the Westone CR-1's, but that means I need to drop the wind noise to where 25 db is sufficient attenuation.

A range of acceptable wind protection

One of the great things about the FJR is the adjustable windshield. Cold or wet? Raise it. Warm or humid? Lower it. Seems simple, except that the various shields at various levels have differing amounts of turbulence and noise. The big shields that work great in fall/spring is intolerable in the summer; the shortest shields are great in the summer but are useless in the rain and cold.

The Shields

These are the shields I have tried, and what I think of them all:

Stock: Nearly worthless. Noisy and lots of buffeting, but a nice compromise in terms of adjustability of protection: goes low enough to be tolerable on hot and humid days, goes high enough block the cold and rain. Back pressure when up. Looks good.

Stock w/spacers: Not bad. Significantly less noise and buffeting than stock with the same amount of protection. Still, too noisy and turbulent to be happy with less than 34 NRR earplugs. Not a lot of back pressure when up. Looks good.

Cut down stock shield: Cut down to barely above the front fairing, spacers don't make a difference. No turbulence when down, a little when up. 25 NRR earplugs are OK, but no low-frequency booming noises so not all that fatiguing. Raised it provides a little bit of protection, no back pressure, more low frequency noise. Looks like crap. Good on hot and humid days.

Cee Bailey's +4+2 Great cold weather protection was its only good quality but not enough to redeem it. Horrible turbulence, very noisy, when up has lots of backpressure. Sold before I tried the spacers. Stock shield was better.

V-Stream: Not too shabby ... no turbulence, quiet when up, not quite as quiet when down. Lots of protection against the cold, I can ride with a T-Shirt under the Roadcrafter down to 60F. Lots of back pressure when up. Still need 25 NRR earplugs. Kind of big and dorky.

V-Stream w/spacers: Definite improvement over non-spacered-VStream. Reduced noise, buffeting, backpressure. This is a great shield for when it is cold, but totally uncomfortable above 80F in humid Minnesota. In the fall I put it on, in the spring I take it off. Still need 25 NRR earplugs. Still big and dorky.

CalSci Tinted Shorty w/spacers: This is a VERY nice shield. Flows air on hot days - hits me at chest level so I can open vents, blocks enough when cold. Just as smooth airflow as the cut down stock, i.e. excellent. Almost as quiet as the cut down stock, but with more low-frequency noise. Need at least 25 NRR earplugs on long trips, no plugs needed < 50 mph. Raised there is no back pressure, but a little more turbulence, and a little less noise. So far this is the best of all worlds even though it isn't as quiet as I would like. If I stand up the low freq booming is gone. I might consider cutting this down ... but am afraid of ruining the airflow, and compromising weather protection when full up.

CalSci Tinted Shorty w/spacers and laminated lip: I had my doubts this would be any good. I tried this on a giant Rifle windshield on my dad's KZ1100 and it helped a little, but not enough. Testamonials on this forum indicate it works, and at only $100, I can also re-sell it. I figured I would try it anyway. Guess what .. it works GREAT! Just like it recommends. However, it isn't what I wanted. It effectively lifted the airflow a few inches and with the CalSci TS's already clean air, it was eerily quiet. I was cruising along at 65 mph w/o earplugs when I realized "Hey I don't really need earplugs now .. this is not painful". Long trips would still require earplugs. When full up, no earplugs needed, almost as quiet as driving in the Prelude (but not as quiet as the Outback). So, from a noise perspective, this is VERY GOOD! But there are several issues. One, it is fugly. Two, some turbulence is introduced. Three, and this is the deal-breaker, there is no airflow. It achieves the quietness by lifting the airflow from chest level to helmet brow. Wearing my 'stich in 85 humid degrees, all vents open and unzipped a few inches, I got no air and it was uncomfortably stifling hot.

I have not tried the Cee Bailey's -4 .. that is an option, but then we're back to not enough wind protection in the cold and wet, and my experience with CB hasn't been good.

So, in the end ... I am using the CalSci Tinted Shorty with spacers, no Lip. At the moment this is the best compromise between airflow adjustability, turbulence and noise. I need to use the Westone CR-1's because anything less than 25 NRR plugs allow too much noise, anything more would block the Sena speakers from working. I may experiment with filtered earplugs but have my doubts it will work. That's for another thread.

You sir have purchased a lot of plastic!

Did you get rid if the lip? I am thinking of trying that myself. The trouble I have is that temps here can go from 5 to 35/40C in a day and I want something that can give me protection but doesn't give me the buffeting. Have you tried drilling a vent in any of the shields to reduce back pressure?

Good Luck on your quest.

Worney

Well I didn't go to the depths that Aasland did, I think I may have lucked out. CalSci medium with Rifle Tuning Block. Very little turbulence up or down, good airflow down (REALLY good), good blockage when all the way up, doesn't look to bad. I'd buy another. The tuning block really transforms a 'good' windshield into a great windshield in this case.

Well I didn't go to the depths that Aasland did, I think I may have lucked out. CalSci medium with Rifle Tuning Block. Very little turbulence up or down, good airflow down (REALLY good), good blockage when all the way up, doesn't look to bad. I'd buy another. The tuning block really transforms a 'good' windshield into a great windshield in this case.
I agree with you..i have never buy a CalSci,i use the original windshield for the summer and the biger Yamaha windshield for the winter..this couple windshields are (simple)good...but from many reviews when i was reed the mosts they said good words about Rifle Tuning Block with Rifle and CalSci windshields..Perhaps the Tuning Block works good and with the original windscreen...I will buy a Tuning Block..it is not expensive...

Like you, I'm exactly 71/30, so I was interested to learn what you've learned. I wish you'd been able to test the Rifle, as I've heard good things. That's the one I've so far set my sights on, pardon the pun. I know you're not a testing agency...you've clearly put some money into this experimentation, so take nothing I'm saying as a complaint. :)

I use a Shoei RF1100 helmet and it's fairly noisy with the stock shield. Especially with the heat vents open.

Anyone else a similar size using the Rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:
You sir have purchased a lot of plastic!
Thankfully my wife has the income to pay for it! :p

Did you get rid if the lip? I am thinking of trying that myself. The trouble I have is that temps here can go from 5 to 35/40C in a day and I want something that can give me protection but doesn't give me the buffeting. Have you tried drilling a vent in any of the shields to reduce back pressure?

Good Luck on your quest.

Worney
I still have it. I'm thinking I may keep it and put it on when it gets cold, and sell the VStream. Or maybe mount it on the VStream. If I could find a feasible way to carry it, and also to mount/unmount it, then I could simply bring it with me on my cross-country rides. The challenge is that the 3M superduper velcro only has a certain number of "cycles" before they wear out.

How big is it? I have only seen pics of them, never in person.

Anyone else try the vents in the shield? I am this close to pulling out the saw and drill to experiment on my extra stock shield. :)

Worney

Here's a photo of it, for reference to size:

https://www.laminarlip.com/fjr13.php

Cutting a hole in a shield is interesting ... if you do it I would suggest you try to copy CalSci's placement and shape.

I did read about someone adding a goldwing vent to the shield and didn't work as well as they hoped. I suppose the vent itself introduces turbulence.

Thanks for the detailed write-up. :yahoo: I'm mostly happy with my shield choices, but I'm sure your info will help others.

Cee Bailey's +4+2 Great cold weather protection was its only good quality but not enough to redeem it. Horrible turbulence, very noisy, when up has lots of backpressure. Sold before I tried the spacers. Stock shield was better.

V-Stream: Not too shabby ... no turbulence, quiet when up, not quite as quiet when down. Lots of protection against the cold, I can ride with a T-Shirt under the Roadcrafter down to 60F. Lots of back pressure when up. Still need 25 NRR earplugs. Kind of big and dorky.

V-Stream w/spacers: Definite improvement over non-spacered-VStream. Reduced noise, buffeting, backpressure. This is a great shield for when it is cold, but totally uncomfortable above 80F in humid Minnesota. In the fall I put it on, in the spring I take it off. Still need 25 NRR earplugs. Still big and dorky.
I put spacers on my windshield arms when my 07 was new and have left them on because they did help the stock shield turbulence problem (although not enough). It's interesting that your Vstream experience is the same as mine, but we're total opposites with the CeeBailey shield?! Did your CB shield have the reverse flip? I have a +2 high, stock width, reverse flip CB shield and love it for summer use. It still allows airflow in the summer, yet allows quiet smooth air when raised.

It's interesting that your Vstream experience is the same as mine, but we're total opposites with the CeeBailey shield?! Did your CB shield have the reverse flip? I have a +2 high, stock width, reverse flip CB shield and love it for summer use. It still allows airflow in the summer, yet allows quiet smooth air when raised.
No, it was not a reverse flip.

Like you, I'm exactly 71/30, so I was interested to learn what you've learned. I wish you'd been able to test the Rifle, as I've heard good things. That's the one I've so far set my sights on, pardon the pun. I know you're not a testing agency...you've clearly put some money into this experimentation, so take nothing I'm saying as a complaint. :)

I use a Shoei RF1100 helmet and it's fairly noisy with the stock shield. Especially with the heat vents open.

Anyone else a similar size using the Rifle?
72/30 and use a big rifle in the mostly down position in the winter, like to look over it, raise it a bit sometimes. Springish to Fallish I use the Yamaha factory touring shield, down mostly till weather, than I raise and duck. Getting used to riding with face shield down and earplugs, not used to bugs yet.

I did read about someone adding a goldwing vent to the shield and didn't work as well as they hoped. I suppose the vent itself introduces turbulence.
That was me. I added a goldwing vent to the +3 Rifle I have. Not bad, just not what I was looking for. The Rifle is still a barn door, even if you put a window in it.

I have since found windshield nirvana. A stock windshield on a 2012 BMW R1200RT. Not only does it block the wind and give me a pocket of pure quiet, it comes with factory cruise control, adjust on the fly suspension, there are no heat issues like I have on my '04 and it has a six speed transmission. I am still working on getting the $$$ to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that your Vstream experience is the same as mine, but we're total opposites with the CeeBailey shield?! Did your CB shield have the reverse flip? I have a +2 high, stock width, reverse flip CB shield and love it for summer use. It still allows airflow in the summer, yet allows quiet smooth air when raised.
That interesting. There's still a few differences in our experience: you hadn't tried spacers with the shield or the fact that your CB was a larger one or just that we are 2 different people. I wonder if the spacers really make that much difference? Might have to pull mine and try the CB flip shield without them......

Different strokes for different folks. I purchased a Cee Bailey +4 +2 with a flip right after I purchased my 2007 and love it. Zero turbulance , quiet and no back pressure. I wear a full face Shoei helmet and like to look over my windshield. I am 6 ft tall , if that makes a difference.

Mac

Different strokes for different folks. I purchased a Cee Bailey +4 +2 with a flip right after I purchased my 2007 and love it. Zero turbulance , quiet and no back pressure. I wear a full face Shoei helmet and like to look over my windshield. I am 6 ft tall , if that makes a difference.

Mac

It also looks like I like to reply twice. :rolleyes:

Mac

It also looks like I like to reply twice. :rolleyes:

Mac

That interesting. There's still a few differences in our experience: you hadn't tried spacers with the shield or the fact that your CB was a larger one or just that we are 2 different people. I wonder if the spacers really make that much difference? Might have to pull mine and try the CB flip shield without them......
Right, didn't try the spacers with the CB.