Abs Confusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ABS is just another thing to go wrong just when you don't need it to, adds $1k to the price of the bike for about $250 worth of parts, and further complicates an already complex piece of mahinery.

If it is condidered a safety part then it should be fitted to all bikes as standard, otherwise, why build the "unsafe non ABS models?

When buying parts you have to make sure you get the "ABS" fitted parts!!

If it is saving your butt on more than one occasion, then you may consider taking your dangerous ass off my road and go back to a cage, or a Hardley Driveable (HD) before you crash into me or my family & friends.

If it is saving you on gravel covered roads or corners, then use your noggin before you roll into a corner knowing that there maybe gravel on the inside from a recent rain storm.

Or if you live and or ride near TWO then gravel from the idiots that are delibrately trying to down a motorcyclist.

If it is saving you from coming into a corner too hot, slow the heck down, you are riding beyond your capabilities, or at least take it on the track and learn how to scrub speed with lean angle and trail braking.

Using a mechanical item to compensate for a lack of riding skills is another fine example of poor judgement from both the manufacturer and the purchaser.

And yes, I had the choice, and yes, I chose one without.

Skippy (ABS less and proud of it man)

ABS is just another thing to go wrong just when you don't need it to, adds $1k to the price of the bike for about $250 worth of parts, and further complicates an already complex piece of mahinery.
If it is condidered a safety part then it should be fitted to all bikes as standard, otherwise, why build the "unsafe non ABS models?

If it is saving your butt on more than one occasion, then you may consider taking your dangerous ass off my road and go back to a cage, or a Hardley Driveable (HD) before you crash into me or my family & friends.

If it is saving you on gravel covered roads or corners, then use your noggin before you roll into a corner knowing that there maybe gravel on the inside from a recent rain storm.

Or if you live and or ride near TWO then gravel from the idiots that are delibrately trying to down a motorcyclist.

If it is saving you from coming into a corner too hot, slow the heck down, you are riding beyond your capabilities, or at least take it on the track and learn how to scrub speed with lean angle and trail braking.

Using a mechanical item to compensate for a lack of riding skills is another fine example of poor judgement from both the manufacturer and the purchaser.

Complete bullshit and opinion. And while opinions are certainly part of a forum like this, you just insulted everyone who owns an ABS FJR.

Here we go again with the superman posts.

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Perspective - Most cars have ABS now because it is better, not because it is a safety feature.

Another part going wrong - Never had a problem with ABS in 13 years on my truck.

ABS fitted parts - There are very few, and they are with the brakes.

Saving my ass - from the cagers who don't know what they are doing.

Price - I got a deal on an ABS. Still $1000, piddly ass compared to saving my ass and the bike once.

IMHO

XLR8 beat me to it.

Complete bullshit and opinion. And while opinions are certainly part of a forum like this, you just insulted everyone who owns an ABS FJR.
Here we go again with the superman posts.

-r
Wow, what did you major in at school " The bloody obvious"?

or maybe you refer to 5th grade as "my senior year"

Either way, it's an open forum and I, like you are entitled to respond as I see fit.

And of course it's an opinion, everyone is entitled to there own stupid opinion....even you.

If they were insulted then let them respond, or are you the official spokeperson for all ABS owners?

And if you are then maybe you should stop wearing your heart on your sleeve and get some thicker skin.

Skippy :bleh:

It's better to NOT have it than to have it break down on you in the middle of no where and have to ride home with the brakes barely functioning. Don't ask me how I know this. :huh:

Ride Safe.

Marc

ABS! HA! When I started riding, ABS was wet drum brakes. That's the way it was AND WE LIKED IT!!

(plus I walked to school in the snow nine miles both way in the snow)

Actually I have nothing against ABS. It's a personal choice. But I wonder if some folks rely too much on technology to keep them safe.

Actually I have nothing against ABS. It's a personal choice. But I wonder if some folks rely too much on technology to keep them safe.
Yea like helmets. Who needs them right.

-r

When I had a 4wd Jeep, I got stuck in the snow a heck of a lot more than when I drove my Toyota. In fact, I never got stuck in my Toy. Point being, I was a lot more agressive in snow driving in the Jeep than the Toy. And occasionally paid the price.

I don't have FJR ABS. From what I hear you guys saying, you are not more agressive riders just by virtue of having this technology? For the "good" riders out there, I'd tend to agree that it would not make a difference in riding style. But what about the majority of us who are not track-qualified?

ABS is flat-out a good thing on a street bike. Going to ride only on a dry track and only when you're mentally sharp? Then ABS is not desired. Going to ride in the real world, on all surfaces, in all weather, and share the road with morons in big cages? Then how on Earth can you argue against ABS?

I'm not going to knock any rider who choses non-ABS for sane reasons, e.g. didn't want to spend $1K more, didn't want that extra 25 lbs, couldn't find an ABS FJR, didn't want spongier brakes (though Spiegler has your fix), or you ride in gravel, dirt, and snow often. Or if you're into the whole challenge-yourself mentality (but the whole FJR doesn't fit that, more like a KLR). Got any other good reasons?

Don't start whining publicly about mechanical complexity. Analyzed your fuel injection system lately? Pretty awesomely complicated with all those sensors and that high-pressure fuel. Concerns about ABS reliability should come from the same toothless guys in leather helmets who'll tell you, "don't use your front brake, you'll flip over!"

Yea like helmets. Who needs them right.

-r
Helmets? Who said anything about helmets.

Helmets? Who said anything about helmets.
C'mon Old Dog, keep up man. :)

My point was that technology is relative and helmets are technology also. So are air bags, seat belts, ABS, etc. We employ these technologies in moving vehicles hoping to decrease our chances of injury or death. I don't think most of us blindly rely on these things but knowing they are there can help.

If an individual doesn't want to pay for such things or doesn't believe they need them I can respect that. What I can't respect is people spewing out mindless bullshit with no logic to back it up.

-r

So it's settled then? :tease:

ABS for those that want it and none for those who don't. (whataconcept)

Steve? I like pizza.

Man, we haven't had a good "ABS or no ABS" argument for at least a couple days. About damn time this got goin'.... :p Agin.... :p

I like vanilla ice cream and my wife likes chocolate ice cream. I don't know how our marriage has lasted thirty one years. The perfect FJR for me would be ABS rear wheel only. I lowered the brake pedal like Warchild and reduced the surface area of the rear pads by grinding two diagonal slots in the pads. I ride bagless and solo most of the time. I can now "feel" the rear brake.

- In Europe, ALL bikes sold from 2007 MUST have ABS installed.

- All your other points are valid and none should be an argument for ABS.

You forget the real argument for ABS, and that's that virtually nobody is able to control the brakes like they should in a real PANIC situation where you just grab a handful, regardless of experience. No matter how good you are. No matter how defensive you ride. You simply don't have full control over everything and everybody. ABS can save your ass in a such panic situation. And I'm pretty sure that when it does, that $1k will be a low price to pay.

Personally, if anyone tells me to my face they can out-brake ABS in such a panic situation, I tell them they are full of sh!t and don't know what they are talking about. Think about this:

- if you are able to control your braking, you are not in a panic situation.

- if you are in a panic situation, you either not brake hard enough as your fear of falling prevents you, or you crash cause you brake to much. Chances of accidentally braking just right are virtually zero.

- Panic by definition means you are not thinking straight anymore and you are not in control; you are responding by reflexes. Though reflexes can be trained, they cannot be controlled. If the road situation/condition is different from what you trained, you are not responding optimally.

In these conditions ABS can save your butt. However, if you add all those conditions of your examples, it may probably not be able to save you either.

Dunno if all this makes sense.

You forget the real argument for ABS, and that's that virtually nobody is able to control the brakes like they should in a real PANIC situation where you just grab a handful, regardless of experience. No matter how good you are. No matter how defensive you ride. You simply don't have full control over everything and everybody. ABS can save your ass in a such panic situation. And I'm pretty sure that when it does, that $1k will be a low price to pay.
My point exactly. :)

Afterburn, makes perfect sense. Excellent points.

Don’t know where I gathered this info and whether it is true or not, but I heard that Honda (U.S.) is suppose to have ABS on all its street bikes by 2008. Anyone else catch this somewhere?

Whoa, strong words from a Fuckin' New Guy.., especially when debating such an emotional weak topic like ABS brakes. And SKIPPY, which road is it that I am suppose to remove my dangerous ass? It appears that you neglected to list your location in your personnal profile. I want to make sure that I avoid you, your family, your friends and your road.

@FJRZON - Don't know about Honda, but one of the Europeans listed on the other board that FJR's will only be available in the ABS flavour for 2006 model year. Don't know if this is fact, but interesting nonetheless!