Abs Confusion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alert awareness and practice, in my opinion, are more valuable than ABS systems.
Who said they were mutually exclusive??
Woodstock. you just said it.

What I meant to say was given one or the other I'd take alert awareness over ABS brakes. Obviously I haven't chosen the option of having both

I have ABS on mine, and I'm glad. I occasionally find myself in rush hour traffic, trying to be in harmony with cagers - while some are head and eyes down, on the phone. A few years ago, one like that, on a big freeway merge, during afternoon rush hour, cut me off big time. I had nowhere to go. I did lock up the front, and low-sided. I could not have prevented the spacing. I would have prevented the lowside on an ABS bike. I have practiced braking many times, but this particular day I was on a dual sport, with dual sport tires, so the conditions were just different enough. Not totally blaming her for my rain groove scar tissue, and dead nerve in my leg - but if she was not on the cell phone, it most likely would not have happened.

In common with an above lister, when I'm 2-up with my S.O., I want every edge I can get. ABS is cheaper than an emergency room bill. And yes, I still practice braking.

I'm glad there are supermen there that will never need it, it's your choice. :D

All the best,

Mike

I guess I'm one of the rare one's, I actually enjoy riding in the rain. My friends call me the rain magnet because they are convinced that when I lead the ride we will be rained on!

Me2 BlueWing. I have no problem riding in the rain. It's one reason I bought the FJR. It's great in the rain. ABS is a big part of that. :clap:

'Course at times, I wish I lived in SoCal, but... :(

Whew! "What we have here is a failure to communicate"

(for those who are vehemently against ABS, IMO)

I view ABS as just another safety feature in my arsenal to protect me from variables that I cannot control, i.e. a cager intent on trying to kill me, or Mother Nature, i.e. a sudden unexpected downpour, etc. I do not ride any more aggressively with it. The irony is that we are exposed to far greater risk of collision just riding around town, going through intersections at low speeds as opposed to going through sweepers or twisties in your respective part of the country. I can lock up the rear on my old bike and control it, thanks to practice; if ABS can increase the control factor, all the better.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I was coming around a corner yesterday and out of nowhere scoots a groundhog. Let's just say that a very quick braking technique ws required. ABS kicked on just like it was supposed too. End of story.

-M

Well, dealing with animal thread is a different story than ABS, and unfortunately for the animals often the best way of dealing with them (as in minimize damage and hurt) is to stay away from the brakes.

I was coming around a corner yesterday and out of nowhere scoots a groundhog.  Let's just say that a very quick braking technique ws required.  ABS kicked on just like it was supposed too.  End of story.
-M
Down here if a squirrel, o'possum, rabbit, armadillo, or baby coyote that is small and soft gets in front of us we apply the gas, not the brakes. We love home made tamales and free meat is the best tasting. :thumbup:

Raccoons are smarter than squirrels because they are harder to hit.

Raccoons are slower than squirrels.

Squirrels are more abundant.

Racoons usually stay away from roads.

blah blah blah blah blah.

Yamalube is the best for your FJR, and you will get better mileage.

Raccoons are smarter than squirrels because they are harder to hit.Raccoons are slower than squirrels.

Squirrels are more abundant.

Racoons usually stay away from roads.

blah blah blah blah blah.

Yamalube is the best for your FJR, and you will get better mileage.
............... And if you don't get ABS you will die................ Blah blah blah............... :huh: :eek: :p

Had a spirited ride with five sportbikes this morning. Front brakes used 90% of the time, rarely trail brake. Very rarely engage the abs on the rear, only once in the front on a wet road. ABS will NOT save your life, but it can help maintain better control in those rare moments. I live on the Wet Coast of Canada and ride all year 'round. I have appreciated ABS a couple of times, but it won't save your life.

So if those enthusiatic about ABS tend to overstate their appreciation just accept it as that. Those who deny the benefits of ABS are not yet amongst the enlightened. :nuke:

'Course at times, I wish I lived in SoCal, but...

No you don't. Trust me. It sucks moist ass cheese here. Too hot, earth quakes, mud slides, all the women are fat, spandex clad bon-bon munchers, TWN lives here and the roads absolutely suck! Don't come here. Please, for your own sake, stay where you are. Think of your family, man! :D

I read the heading and think that you're talking about muscular attributes.

Shoot, you want abs?

abs6dd.jpg

Ron

No you don't. Trust me. It sucks moist ass cheese here. Too hot...
Awww, someone's fibbin'! SoCal is great! Too hot? NOT! Earthquakes and mudslides? Valid points. All the women are fat... NowayJose- Hottest babes!!! TWN lives there... I have no problem with that- it's a big state. Roads suck? Riiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Shhhhh, Woody. People will start to talk about us. Besides, radman can't call anyone 'gay' anymore and my boobs are way bigger than those... :huh:

Besides, radman can't call anyone 'gay' anymore and my boobs are way bigger than those... :huh:
My 330 lb buddy has 'em and calls them "Man Boobs." :eek:

Ron

ABS is just another thing to go wrong just when you don't need it to, adds $1k to the price of the bike for about $250 worth of parts, and further complicates an already complex piece of mahinery.
If it is condidered a safety part then it should be fitted to all bikes as standard, otherwise, why build the "unsafe non ABS models?

When buying parts you have to make sure you get the "ABS" fitted parts!!

If it is saving your butt on more than one occasion, then you may consider taking your dangerous ass off my road and go back to a cage, or a Hardley Driveable (HD) before you crash into me or my family & friends.

If it is saving you on gravel covered roads or corners, then use your noggin before you roll into a corner knowing that there maybe gravel on the inside from a recent rain storm.

Or if you live and or ride near TWO then gravel from the idiots that are delibrately trying to down a motorcyclist.

If it is saving you from coming into a corner too hot, slow the heck down, you are riding beyond your capabilities, or at least take it on the track and learn how to scrub speed with lean angle and trail braking.

Using a mechanical item to compensate for a lack of riding skills is another fine example of poor judgement from both the manufacturer and the purchaser.

And yes, I had the choice, and yes, I chose one without.

Skippy (ABS less and proud of it man)
How about having all the skill in the world, but not enough to save you from a child running out in the street without looking, after being hidden from your view, right after a slight drizzle, with an oil slicked road and you HAVE to stop or AVOID and you lock the brakes and that's it.

ABS would have saved you, or at least given a fighting chance.

Most cars are equipped with this technology, why not two wheels.

When I ride, I want every single piece of technology and skill working in concert to bring me back home, alive, in one piece, no matter what situation I may face.

What parts are so different between ABS bikes and non?

Superbrace?

Brake Lines?

Brake hardware?

Failure of parts is RARE. How many ABS ECU's are failing on all the cars out there?

Anyway, we can rationalize it either way, but the one cold hard fact of the matter is that the ABS bikes will hold their value better than non abs bikes. All things bein equal.