ABS Reset

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
Would it be possible, inadvisable, or ok to quickly cycle the kill switch in order to reset the ABS and eliminate the flashing light while still riding? Maybe pull the clutch, but I don't think it would matter. The flashing ABS light only comes on after hard acceleration, hard braking, or a bump.

Thanks,

Bruce

It only flashes when in operation (hard braking) or has found a fault (hard acceleration or bump-differing wheel speed). Should go off by itself once fault has been corrected (both wheels same speed).

Last edited by a moderator:
It only flashes when in operation (hard braking) or has found a fault (hard acceleration or bump-differing wheel speed). Should go off by itself once fault has been corrected (both wheels same speed).
Once it goes on it stays on.

A steady light indicates an ongoing problem detected, and the ABS is shut down, however braking is not affected. You need an ABS diagnostic jumper to get the ABS module to display codes.

A steady light indicates an ongoing problem detected, and the ABS is shut down, however braking is not affected. You need an ABS diagnostic jumper to get the ABS module to display codes.
The light is not steady. It flashes continuously once it is set off. I believe this is normal and needs to reset to turn off.

I have the same issue on my 05; brake real hard and the abs light will flash until you turn the bike off/ on. This has also happened when taking one of those handy highway off ramps at speed at an extreme lean angle; light flashes until bike cycles off / on. I have even tried to lock up the binders when the light is flashing, it does not lock up and I can still feel the anti lock engage.

+1, my 06A behaves as described too, light comes on when accelerating hard, this is with the front wheel still on the ground, perhaps the system is so sensitive it can detect some slip at the back wheel? I took it to my dealer and they checked for error codes, found none that made any sense. They reset the ABS ECU and sent me on my way.....light still flickers when I get to ripping around, at 7/10s pace it does'nt do it so much. I stopped worrying about it.

The ABS light on my 06 AE is an issue, it is on so often I have put a block out over the light so it does not distract me. I have discussed this with my dealer and he gave me a copy out of the service manual page

8-140. it gives all the reasons for what called a "normal malfunction light". Personally I think it is set up way too sensitive as my ABS light is most always flashing and if you do not turn the key off the light will stay on, very distracting. RIDE SAFE