Accessory Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYFJR

Reaction score
I just read in the MCN article where the '06 accessory box locks when the iqnition is off...mine doesn't. Is it suppose too?

if you're talking about the little compartment that houses the 12 volt adaptor on the left side of the fairing... the answer is yes. I can't open mine unless I turn the bike on and then press the button on top.

hope that helps

regards

Yes, you're is broken then :/

It's supposed to be locked unless the key is on. I should have my service manual by Friday and I can take a peek at what makes that work if you'd like.

-MD

How are you supposed to use the accessory plug? With the accessory inside and the cover closed? Many coil cords are rather bulky... does not leave much room for the elecro-gizmo.

How are you supposed to use the accessory plug? With the accessory inside and the cover closed? Many coil cords are rather bulky... does not leave much room for the elecro-gizmo.
There is a rubber grommet down in the bottom for you to snake your cord out through the bottom and back up to your tank bag or what ever. I don't believe there is power to that socket unless the bike is turned on anyway. (I could be wrong on that though).

No wait, I tested that... There isn't power there w/o your key in the ON position.

I have the powerlet tankbag power adapter and a cord that works for that fit everything nicely.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
When I picked up my bike at D&H they told me that the power outlet in that box only has 3amps. Is that true? Also, I lost the rubber gammet from the box and the dealer in Tampa said that they can't get a replacement, they have to order the entire box ($200). All I want is the rubber gammet, any ideas? Sorry to high jack.

When I picked up my bike at D&H they told me that the power outlet in that box only has 3amps. Is that true? Also, I lost the rubber gammet from the box and the dealer in Tampa said that they can't get a replacement, they have to order the entire box ($200). All I want is the rubber gammet, any ideas? Sorry to high jack.
I don't know... Watch ebay for a wrecked FJR in a few months and get the whole box for $50. If Yamaha is anything like Kaw, that plug will cost $15 anyway.

I took it out and now my hands are too big to get it back in :huh:

The grommet also has a drain in it I guess in case water got in there. I just plan on covering that hole up with something, just haven't figured out what yet, because dealing with that grommet is sure to be a pain in the butt.

Hey Renegade, where did you get your service manual? I found on ebay for the nice price of $34....should I buy here?

Hey Renegade, where did you get your service manual? I found on ebay for the nice price of $34....should I buy here?
That may be the same one I ordered... I should have it in a couple days (hopefully tomorrow) and I'll let you know if it's any good or not...

-MD

I picked up my new AE yesterday ( Thursday ) and after reading your post about the box not locking, I made sure to check that function on my bike. I was unable to open it when the ignition was off :D ...sorry :hehe:

3 amps is correct. I plugged in a 15 amp item and blew the fuse. Then I had fun changing the three amper.

KYFJR, I actually removed the solenoid so that I could open the box any time I want to. Keep in mind that it's not secure, even with the ignition off - you can easily pop it open with your fingers !!

I did this so I could rummage through the box while rolling on the 405 freeway at 80+, looking for my mascara brush so that I can apply it while driving ...... no.. wait ....... I'm confused again. That was a cager that almost .......

You get the idea.

FJRFencer, did you plug in a tire pump? (Like I did?) :blink:

I believe we had the same result. ;) And now I know that my local stealer DOES NOT CARRY the 3 amp fuse. However, any auto parts store does.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting you say that...I had thought about not fixing it so that I could use my cell phone and eat my breakfast sandwhich while the cruise is going but I feel wierd not fixing a new bike... :unsure:

Don't worry, after you fix it you can still open it while riding... It's while parked and key out that you can't ;)

That's where I store my chew. :yahoo:

>>There is a rubber grommet down in the bottom for you to snake your cord out through the bottom and back up to your tank bag or what ever.<<

Right you are and thank you.

>>All I want is the rubber gammet, any ideas? <<

Yes, try Radio Shack or the racks of pull-out boxes full of hard to get parts at your local hardware store.

>>Hey Renegade, where did you get your service manual? I found on ebay for the nice price of $34....should I buy here?<<

A link....? Oh, and the verdict.....?

>>Hey Renegade, where did you get your service manual? I found on ebay for the nice price of $34....should I buy here?<<
A link....? Oh, and the verdict.....?
I got my Service manual in the mail USPS priority yesterday.

the eBay sellers name is: c5h2

The manual is top notch. 300+ pages and covers both 05 models. It may very well be a copy but I'm pleased. Even the wiring diagrams are in color.

If it's a copy it's made from original electronic output, not on a copier.

It's way better than my official 'Kawasaki' service manual.

here's a link to other manuals he has for sale, he has more 06 manuals listed or did my total with shipping was around $45.

ebay linky.

Disclaimer: I don't know this guy, or work for him. I just purchased a manual from him and am pleased with the results. Buyer Beware, Caveat Emptur, Your Mileage May Vary.