Accessory plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkrkr4lif

Reaction score
So turns out the plug has a 3A fuse, my air compressor uses 5.5A, didn't know either of that until I was filling up my flat tire today. Made it from all the way from empty to about 30psi before the fuse popped. Have you guys ever replaced the 3A fuse with a 7.5A one?

I believe the wiring is really thin and you would be better off running the pump off a battery tender cable (Sae plug) or installing a powerlet outlet somewhere.

I believe the wiring is really thin and you would be better off running the pump off a battery tender cable (Sae plug) or installing a powerlet outlet somewhere.

^^^ This.

Don't do it. The fuse is there to protect the wiring. You'd be really pissed if you lit your bike on fire when you were trying to fix a flat tire.

Buy a battery tender cable and install it, leaving the end hanging out up front near your steering stem somewhere. You can use it to trickle charge the battery when/if you need to, and also to power your electric compressor when needed in an emergency. (I recommend running the bike when you do so the battery doesn't get depleted) I also use my tender cable to power my tank bag, which powers all the rest of my electronic gadgets. It gets a lot of use for a $6 cable.

OK, slightly of topic response here since I'm not talking about the factory accessory plug. Just going to describe my aftermarket accessory plug(s) set up that works very well for me.

I have two Powerlet connectors wired to my Fuze-Block. (www.fuzeblocks.com) Both are set in the unswitched side of the FuzeBlock. One of them is located alongside the right handlebar wiring harness and secured to the upper brake line. This one is fuse protected (at the FuzeBlock) with a 5A spade fuse. I use this plug to power my tank bag. The tank bag has an internal harness with 2 USB plugs and one 12V cigarette lighter plug.

The second Powerlet plug is located down under the gas tank trim piece near the seat, approximately where my left knee is while riding. This plug is used for connecting my heated clothing. As such, it is fuse protected to 15A. I have used this plug to run my Slime air compressor a few times without incident.

There are many times when I'm using my heated jacket and need to charge a phone simultaneously so having the two accessory plugs come in handy. I also use either of these plugs to attach my battery tender.

These Powerlet are not 'hardmounted' to the bike. The plugs are the overmolded onto the cable type and I secure the cables to something sturdy in their respective locations. When not in use I put a small rubber cap over them.

I usually buy the PAC-037 harness from Powerlet as that gives me two female and one male plug to build other harnesses from.

^^^ This.

Don't do it. The fuse is there to protect the wiring. You'd be really pissed if you lit your bike on fire when you were trying to fix a flat tire.

Buy a battery tender cable and install it, leaving the end hanging out up front near your steering stem somewhere. You can use it to trickle charge the battery when/if you need to, and also to power your electric compressor when needed in an emergency. (I recommend running the bike when you do so the battery doesn't get depleted) I also use my tender cable to power my tank bag, which powers all the rest of my electronic gadgets. It gets a lot of use for a $6 cable.
^^THIS^^ I installed a battery tender cable with an inline fuse (same type as the fusebox). Can be used for trickle charger or compressor, and with various accessories like voltage indicator, usb charger, etc. Very handy.