Accessory Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
On my previous '07 FJR, I had two Powerlet panel-mounted sockets. These were wired to panel-mounted controllers for heated gear. I know that a lot of people use SAE plugs but I prefer the plug and socket approach. Cigarette lighter sockets are not reliable enough and are too large. SAE is OK for things like battery tender and power for an inflation pump. I am currently looking at options for my new-to-me 2011. (I wouldn't bother with the panel-mounted controllers this time but the plugs are very convenient as well as robust.)

I was aware that Powerlet disappeared from the market rather abruptly a year or two ago and, until I started this thread, I wasn't aware that they apparently have returned from the dead!

https://www.powerlet.com/news/article/powerlet-reacquired-by-original-founders/53

Has anyone had any dealings with them since they reappeared? Seems to me they used to have a much wider range of products which makes me wonder if they are just slow to restart or if they are just burning through old inventory and might not be a reliable source in the future.

Other than using a loose wire/plug to hook up (SAE or coax), has anyone tried any other sort of connector?

Powerlet stuff isn't cheap but seems to get the job done. In any case, I am interested to find out what other possibilities are out there. I can post picture from Internet but can't resize!

SAE Coax connector

sedici_saedc_adapter_black_750x750.jpg

Powerlet

plug_socket_290x189.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. On all of my bikes I use 1/4 phono plugs and

sockets. Simple, robust and cheap as dirt.

I usually have one on the right side wired directly to

battery ( fused, of course ) for use with battery tenders

or tire inflators.

I also have one on the left side, wired to a HeatTroller

for heated gear.

I've just purchased a couple female coax panel mount cables to mount up for heated gear on the FJR and Tenere. Coax just seems to be the best, compact, all weather plug for heated gear in my opinion. I wish my battery maintainers had coax plugs on them instead of SAE. They plug and unplug much more smoothly. Panel mounts for SAE and Coax seem to be hard to find but these are branded Gears and sold at Dennis Kirk.

20190326_090925-L.jpg

I had not encountered a coax panel mount before. I think I like it better than the Powerlet but don't know how it would handle a higher power requirement. Likely OK for most stuff - might keep a SAE pigtail for tire inflator. Now to figure out where to mount it...