Adding Coolant to 2010 FJR - Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjammer

Reaction score
2010 FJRA - Noticed the Coolant Level was at the Low line and proceeded to bring up to full....at least I thought I was. I did a search but could not really find the problem I was having.

Removed the top left black panel and removed the cap. This is where I'm having an issue. I "thought" I could just take a skinny funnel and pour some 50/50 mix I had but as soon as I poured it in, it came back out the top. As I was cleaning the coolant off of everything I noticed the thermostat was located right under the radiator fill cap.

So, what is the trick to adding coolant? Do you have to first let the thermostat open? I don't want a bigger mess so please enlighten me.

I normally just add to the overflow bottle. It is on the right side on my '05. I find that a long neck beer bottle serves well instead of a funnel.

Seems like you're trying to fill an already full system. What's low is the reservoir. Fill that to the full line with your skinny funnel and seat the cap properly. (Said trusting all this is on a cool engine.)

Geezer...right side? One too many long necks tonight?
smile.png

Seems like you're trying to fill an already full system. What's low is the reservoir. Fill that to the full line with your skinny funnel and seat the cap properly. (Said trusting all this is on a cool engine.)
So you can remove the top portion of the reservoir? Only reason I ask is it doesn't look like a traditional cap. I thought maybe it was sealed. The reservoir on the ZX14 I had was similar to an automobile where you lust lift on one end and sort of peel off, and then snap back on.

Geezer...right side? One too many long necks tonight?
smile.png
Yes, the radiator cap is on the left and the overflow bottle is on the right, the same side as the water pump. That's on my '05. They may have moved it on the Gen 2s.

No drinking today. Not yet, anyway.
smile.png

The 'reservoir' is on the left side of the Gen 2. They fixed some of the fiddley bits of the Gen1 that made filling the reservoir a PITA (and made different but equally annoying fiddley bits on the Gen 2).

2010 FJRA - Noticed the Coolant Level was at the Low line and proceeded to bring up to full....at least I thought I was. I did a search but could not really find the problem I was having. Removed the top left black panel and removed the cap. This is where I'm having an issue. I "thought" I could just take a skinny funnel and pour some 50/50 mix I had but as soon as I poured it in, it came back out the top. As I was cleaning the coolant off of everything I noticed the thermostat was located right under the radiator fill cap.

So, what is the trick to adding coolant? Do you have to first let the thermostat open? I don't want a bigger mess so please enlighten me.
Easiest if you take the "wing" off first,I use a broad-bladed screwdriver to ease the "hinges", visible in the second pic:

(Click on image for larger view)

These show the reservoir top in place, then partially withdrawn:

I've only ever topped up my coolant once in the years I've had my two Gen IIs, and then I found it was unnecessary.

In both of mine, with the bike on its centre-stand and engine cold, the coolant sits about one third the way up the reservoir. Put more in it, it gets lost. Never ever lost any between changes other than my first (over-)fill top-up.

[edit] This picture shows my normal cold coolant level:

Last edited by a moderator:
In both of mine, with the bike on its centre-stand and engine cold, the coolant sits about one third the way up the reservoir. Put more in it, it gets lost. Never ever lost any between changes other than my first (over-)fill top-up.

[edit] This picture shows my normal cold coolant level:

I rarely use the center stand so, for a comparison, I've noticed over the yrs that on the sidestand mine will be about that much above the high mark when hot, somewhat midway between the two when cold. I also recommend removing the fairing mounting screw below and to the right of the oil filter and gently flex out that slim piece of fairing plastic and make sure the overflow tube isn't kinked or folded up in the foam. You'll see what I mean. Please DAMHIK. Even blow in the bottom end to see.